Notices

Tandem or Triple?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

dexter only makes one special torsion axle approved to use in triple axle trailers. They just came out 1 year ago. That did not stop trailer manufactures from building triple axle trailers with axles that were not approved for it.

IMO torsion axles are only good for light to medium weight carrying.

Reason, when on uneven terrian it is possible for only 1 axle, or even 1 tire, to carry the weight of the entire trailer!

Thats why most heavy duty trailers have load equalizer style leaf springs
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heavy axle tandem would be my preference. It will be fine with the 10,500 gross and turn much better.
There should be no problem stopping with brakes on both axles and maintance will be less.

If the trailer is well built, load balanced and aligned properly, it should be a smooth tow.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 11-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always try to do with the least moving parts that safely and effeciently does the job. My thought is less things means less problems also less maint and less money. You never want to skimp on towing but for your boat a either would do fine and and its your opinion.

My tandem only has breaks on one axle and stops fine.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a 30' trailer for my 292 from Load Master last week.. Custom built. It will be a triple axle. Ive had way too many blow outs in my life to give up an axle even for a smaller boat. Plus we throw all the coolers for the weekend, our luggage, everything in the boat before we head out. Its a steel trailer that will be dunked in salt water maybe 5 times its whole life. Salt water will not eat a steel trailer like backing it into a vat of acid. Just rinse it really well and try not to store it where it can get salt from the wind. Rust is just a part of life! a grinder and some touch up paint will work wonders. The tough part is making sure you got all the salt out of the interior of the frame..
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I always try to do with the least moving parts that safely and effeciently does the job. My thought is less things means less problems also less maint and less money. You never want to skimp on towing but for your boat a either would do fine and and its your opinion.

My tandem only has breaks on one axle and stops fine.
Nice! What are you pulling! and Where?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
Nice! What are you pulling! and Where?
I have towed that trailer which is an continental with a 29 fountain with twins dry weight of boat 7k, to MICH and back which was 1200miles round trip. But Mainly tow within an hour. If I was doing long trips all the time I might consider a triple. But reall if you maintain your bearings and tires youll be fine and if you get a blow out on tandem youll get it on a triple. Although the triple is probably more likely to remain stable. And you could chain the axle up on a triple on a bind, but if thats your plan your plan you better have a jack/cum along, and two guys to lift that axle along with some good chain and plan on denting and scratching your trailer.

Anything closer to 10k dry I would definitely be in a triple or were making half day, day trips all the time.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I finally pulled the trigger this morning and ordered a tandem axle trailer. However, I upgraded to the 7K axles with 8 lugs and larger brakes for good measure. Not really worried about stopping it as I already have more truck than I need and the built-in LML Duramax exhaust brake really stops loads quickly.

I generally put about 3K miles on my trailer every year with one long trip from 750 to 1500 miles. I service the bearings and brakes every winter. I've never had a bearing or tire failure, just a whole axle failure that led to this purchase.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I finally pulled the trigger this morning and ordered a tandem axle trailer. However, I upgraded to the 7K axles with 8 lugs and larger brakes for good measure. Not really worried about stopping it as I already have more truck than I need and the built-in LML Duramax exhaust brake really stops loads quickly.

I generally put about 3K miles on my trailer every year with one long trip from 750 to 1500 miles. I service the bearings and brakes every winter. I've never had a bearing or tire failure, just a whole axle failure that led to this purchase.
dont know what brakes you are talking but I have surge breaks with drums and if I had the choice Id put disk on them. Carried a hot rotor/axle all the way to mich and back and had to stop a hundred times to grease, adjust and what not. I serviced them before I left, and tore it apart in MICH, things are PITA. Probably going to look at converting them this spring to disk.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
dont know what brakes you are talking but I have surge breaks with drums and if I had the choice Id put disk on them. Carried a hot rotor/axle all the way to mich and back and had to stop a hundred times to grease, adjust and what not. I serviced them before I left, and tore it apart in MICH, things are PITA. Probably going to look at converting them this spring to disk.
I went with EOH disc brakes. The 6K axle has 12" discs and the 7K has 13".
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I went with EOH disc brakes. The 6K axle has 12" discs and the 7K has 13".
Once you tow with EOH, you'll never look back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.