Notices

New Chevy Silverado for 2014

Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Did I miss any tech in my prior post? Its great tech- its just two model years late.

What do you mean FI car motor? Or do you mean TT/DI/4VDOHC "car motor" (actually they are engines not motors)

Does that imply the vette has a "truck" engine?

I love my Chevies, but Ford beat Chevy to punch almost all the headline grabbing stuff direct injection , variable cam phasing, electric steering, and a 6 speed box.

Ford gives you a 4 valve DOHC top end with twin turbos- with a forged rotating assembly and side bolted mains.

Chevy has the active fuel management which looks really slick we'll see how it holds up as its been tried before, but I think they'll get it right.

Uncle Dave
I will Take gen 3,4,5 bottom end over and ford, forged or not. Chevy has had the active fuel management Out since 2005, it works great. now if they would just hang some snails off the manifolds.

The 8 Speed is development, it wont be ready at the trucks launch.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

read my post - I said its on par with ford for direct injection.

UD
Gotcha!...ok lets wait until the ecoboost and the chebby engines reach over 100 k and we can go from their.. i see a whole lot of fords with problems from ford at that mileage then chebby..

to be continued!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Actually GM could make anything they collectively decided to.

They just didn't. They chose to massage what they had incrementally. This is why I said they didnt go far enough.

The 5.3 isnt even close to the EB

The 6.2 is very nice but I dont think it will make 400lb ft at 1900RPM at 4000ft in 100+ degree heat like the EB will.

maybe it will- well all see soon enough.

Id have rather seen a 4.3 TT with deactivation- THAT would have been new.

I tow in Arizona a lot and the heat combined with altitude annihilate NA vehicles.
Watch the EB tow my boat on the parker climb out up the hill in 100+ degree heat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfCEO6ipltA

UD
let me get this straight! your towing a boat at 70+mph,up a hill ,talking and video taping whyle doing all this....

let me know when you on the road nextme so i can avoid that highway..
Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
let me get this straight! your towing a boat at 70+mph,up a hill ,talking and video taping whyle doing all this....

let me know when you on the road nextme so i can avoid that highway..
By any chance did you count how many people were on said highway?

Not sure talking and holding a 2 inch square box (that doesn't have an eyepiece) is really all that difficult considering a cell phone is harder to hold on too if you have ever done that in your life or maybe smoked a cigarette or coke while towing on a relatively straight uphill road.

- but thats ok- Ill make sure you aren't anywhere near me or my group next time I do it.

I could have pulled this off with no danger in a stick shift truck- what a wuss guys are these days.

UD
Old 12-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by professor_speed
I will Take gen 3,4,5 bottom end over and ford, forged or not. Chevy has had the active fuel management Out since 2005, it works great. now if they would just hang some snails off the manifolds.

Help me understand then how is saying the new engine that has active fuel management a "new feature" if its been out since 05?

Is it new or not?

Dodges 8 speed is in the new Hemi truck and their 6 cyl truck. apparently good for 500+ lb ft of torque.

UD
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by professor_speed

The Active Fuel Management works great? Realy??? Do you have a 5.3 with AFM? I not impressed with it. We have a 2009 Suburban that had new pistons and rings put in it at 50,000 miles because of excessive blue smoke out the tailpipe and we're not the only ones. If you spend that kind of money on a vehicle, you shouldn't have to go through all this.

BTW, we also have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 and love it so far.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I miss any tech in my prior post? Its great tech- its just two model years late.

What do you mean FI car motor? Or do you mean TT/DI/4VDOHC "car motor" (actually they are engines not motors)

Does that imply the vette has a "truck" engine?

I love my Chevies, but Ford beat Chevy to punch almost all the headline grabbing stuff direct injection , variable cam phasing, electric steering, and a 6 speed box.

Ford gives you a 4 valve DOHC top end with twin turbos- with a forged rotating assembly and side bolted mains.

Chevy has the active fuel management which looks really slick we'll see how it holds up as its been tried before, but I think they'll get it right.

Uncle Dave
Go read on the LT1 or gen V if you want all the tech details.

The AFM has been around, but was instituted rather conservatively in gen IV due to NVH and some other problems. I'd expect it to return much better efficiency in this implementation.

Yes, the ecoboost is a car "engine" (pedantic much?). Time will tell how it handles duty cycles of a truck. I guess Ford's strong history of bulletproof truck motors should give people confidence.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
I guess Ford's strong history of bulletproof truck motors should give people confidence.
The 6.blow series was sure atrocious.
Especially coming off the excellent 7.3

The new 6.7 is getting mixed reviews....

In the diesel world I much prefer the Isuzus

UD
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

kind of dissapointed in the unveil. Truck looks nice and chevy finally updated the interior to look like it belongs in the 2000s. But in the end the truck looks like a refinement more than anything. They are saying these engines are new, but really theres nothing new to them. I was hoping they would provide an EB option and or a small diesel option in the half ton.

GM has not put performance numbers out yet, but they did leak that their 5.3 will have 350hp, wow good job chevy way to put out an engine that has less power than your competitors. To me it just looks like they made there new truck to compete with whats out there and not surpass anything that is on the market.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
Go read on the LT1 or gen V if you want all the tech details.

The AFM has been around, but was instituted rather conservatively in gen IV due to NVH and some other problems. I'd expect it to return much better efficiency in this implementation.

Yes, the ecoboost is a car "engine" (pedantic much?). Time will tell how it handles duty cycles of a truck. I guess Ford's strong history of bulletproof truck motors should give people confidence.
I got 15k on mine in one year towing a 10k boat and no issues yet. I have not heard of any EB problems to date from anybody. Swing by the dealers and you cant find them used people are hanging onto them. As for the eco, the 3.5 has been out for a while now in cars and such for a long time, granted throw turbos on its kind of a different engine. Europeans have utilized this concept for years of having a smaller displacement engine for mpg and turbos when power is needed. To be frank I dont care how many cylinders it his, i am concerned with performance, and right now there is not a stock 1/2 package that can tow 11,300lbs, have over 2k payload, and get the mpg that the eco gets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.