Notices

New Manning...

Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks great Mike. Looks like its a Torsion axle setup?? Be sure on your trip with the boat coming home, that your trailer is level. Torsion axles aren't forgiving in this area. What Im saying is, if the hitch is too low, it will put a lot of load on the front axle, and not as much on the rears. Too much and that can lead to tire blowouts. Vice versa if its too high.

Id definitely let some air out of the tires for running down to florida. 35psi should help it not be so bouncy. Now wetsand that baby and buff it out to a mirror shine!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Looks great Mike. Looks like its a Torsion axle setup?? Be sure on your trip with the boat coming home, that your trailer is level. Torsion axles aren't forgiving in this area. What Im saying is, if the hitch is too low, it will put a lot of load on the front axle, and not as much on the rears. Too much and that can lead to tire blowouts. Vice versa if its too high.

Id definitely let some air out of the tires for running down to florida. 35psi should help it not be so bouncy.
PHP Code:
Now wetsand that baby and buff it out to a mirror shine
ok joe B
Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've never heard of Timbren before, but did some research.

http://www.timbren.com/

Mike, did you install them in lieu of airbags?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yep Brian. Just figured a little stability couldn't hurt. Don Cooper (formerly of the Fountain Ju-wanna Racing Team) owns an automotive service shop right down the block from my business, and he recommended them.

The axles are Axis torsions. And yeah Joe, it looks like a 2" drop is gonna do the trick, as opposed to the 6" drop I had on the Fountain. Might steal BZ's adjustable height hitch for the FL run just in case...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Might steal BZ's adjustable height hitch for the FL run just in case...
figured that......LOL
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BZ
figured that......LOL
Ha! I actually bought my own solid shaft 2 inch drop that I'll likely use...I'd grab yours as a "just in case." Thats what you get for leaving it here!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BZ
figured that......LOL
He is used to it !!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Might steal BZ's adjustable height hitch for the FL run just in case...
...as long as it's rated for 12,000+ lbs. Personally, I don't like the adjustable setups; too many points of failure. If it were me, I'd have a couple of solid options with me, and return what I didn't need when I got home. Someone pulled a few of the pins on the OSO hauler adjustable setup while at an event a couple years ago trying to set someone up for a disaster. Thankfully, it was noticed before departure.

If needed, there are plenty of hitch/trailer places within a few miles of Pompano if you need anything. I've sourced balls and drawbars locally a few times for customers/friends.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Yep Brian. Just figured a little stability couldn't hurt. Don Cooper (formerly of the Fountain Ju-wanna Racing Team) owns an automotive service shop right down the block from my business, and he recommended them.
Without any first hand experience, they look like they are contributing to your rough ride with the unloaded setup; especially if they are too tall. They look like they would transfer way too much axle movement directly to the frame for my comfort level. I can see valid use if you were running bigger tires and were worried that bottoming out would cause interference and damage; but that's about it. Good luck with the setup and please provide feedback.