Notices

Diesel Thoughts???

Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 or 07 classic GMC or Chevy which has duramax LBZ. The best version of the duramax with no emission crap and fuel injectors for ultra low sulfur diesel. 6 speed Allison.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quinlan
You know fill it up, reset the trip, then when you refill check how many mpg?
What he^^^ said ! That's the ONLY way to ck mpg. This 18 to 20+ I call WishOmeter--- Maybe on a Flatbed being towed to shop- Maybe![/QUOTE]

we used GPS,,paid no attention to the dream meter's!!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Are these mpg figures what you are seeing on the computer while going down the road or your average for a tank of fuel?

You know fill it up, reset the trip, then when you refill check how many mpg?
Mine is hand calc. The Avg on the computer is off usually by 1mpg or so.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm curious what the real market is for new 4x4 Cummins. What are you guys paying new? The last Dodge I bought came down almost 10 Gs
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Registered

I know I personally with no haggling was able to get a 2500HD Cummins for the price of a decently loaded 1500, however that is with my Cummins discount, though I'm not sure where that actually stacks up to the rest)

I didn't actually buy it, was just looking at new trucks and figured I'd look into it.

Me personally, I'm waiting to hear pricing on the EcoDiesel or the new titan. The half ton with a turbo v8 cummins really has me interested
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diesel will pull stronger than gas, but don't get one for the fuel mileage savings. The last time I calculated the break even on buying a diesel truck vs a gas truck, it was around 100,000 miles, and that was years ago when the premium for a diesel engine was only about $4,000. It's more now.

Buy a diesel because you want one, because it pulls stronger, but don't be silly enough to buy one for the mileage savings, cause the numbers don't work. You'll spend dollars to save dimes.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

Exactly!! We buy them to pull our big azz chit down the road to the lake so we can burn $500+ worth of fuel in an afternoon.
MPGs !!!? get a Honda
Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Exactly!! We buy them to pull our big azz chit down the road to the lake so we can burn $500+ worth of fuel in an afternoon.
MPGs !!!? get a Honda
That's the spirit!!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyain
I know I personally with no haggling was able to get a 2500HD Cummins for the price of a decently loaded 1500, however that is with my Cummins discount, though I'm not sure where that actually stacks up to the rest)

I didn't actually buy it, was just looking at new trucks and figured I'd look into it.

Me personally, I'm waiting to hear pricing on the EcoDiesel or the new titan. The half ton with a turbo v8 cummins really has me interested
I like you have been waiting with fingers crossed and they came out with this http://enr.construction.com/products...ram-trucks.asp

Rams website confirms it. Kind of a let down really. As you can only tow 9200lbs which is less than the silverado, Ram hemi, and F150 Eco boost and 5.0 engines. Has more than 100 less HP than the other three trucks , same torque as the ecobost and only around 40 more torque than the silverado and f150 5.0, and only 13 more torque than the Ram Hemi.

Factor in a 10k mile year in driving. We will use 30 gallon gas tank just to make the numbers nice, we will go with the high numbers for MPG which ram ecodiesel says 25MPG, Chevy, Ford and Ram average to about 22MPG HWY. Gas is $3.7 and diesel is $4 here, which it might be different in other places, but you can assume diesel is 10% or more per gallon wherever you are. Either way this calculation was just using HWY miles the Eco Diesel came in at $1560 a year and the other three would cost you about $1665 so a savings of $95 dollars or a 7% savings but thats assuming diesel is only 10% higher I have seen it cost 40-50 cents higher.

But now we have to figure in the upcharge on the ecodiesel, the eco boost cost an extra $1700 and even more on some packages and people have said the ecodiesel is going to be a 3-4 grand upcharge. So even if you use the low number it would take you 31 years to make up the upcharge with a 7% savings in fuel economy. Then factor in your oil changes will cost more, fuel filter replacement once or twice a year probably no savings a year at all. After breaking it down you get a vehicle that is going to cost you more up front, not going to save on fuel, and cant tow more than the rest, really is a dumb buy if you start looking at it.

To me in order to make sense it would have to be class leading in towing and get about 26/29-30HWY in order to make it worthwile.

Last edited by soldier4402; 08-28-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Do not even consider a 6.0 Ford. I came from a 03 Escalade with a 6.0 gas and thought it pulled fine until I bought a 2011 Duramax. There is no comparison. I have now traded for a 13 model Duramax 2500 4x4 and would never go back to a gas truck for towing. I have a Bullydog controller on mine and it gets around 20mpg empty and about 13 towing my 28' boat. Pulled this boat from Havasu to Indiana when I bought it and it never downshifted once with the cruise set on 75mph all the way home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.