Notices

Diesel Thoughts???

Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
That depends on what price point your at. A fully chocked King Ranch 4X4 Dually is going to cost you north of 65 and you're going to lose a small fortune on it two years later..........
Which is why I bought my F450 about a year old. Yeah, it already had a gooseneck and light hookup inside the bed, so I knew the guy had already towed something heavy. But, it only had 33K miles and I got it for $34.9K. A friend of mine is a field engineer for Ford, so he ran the VIN to see if the truck had any issues. Pleasantly surprised to find out the radiator had already been replaced. I have had absolutely zero issues with it and it will pull a house off it's foundation.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tnc110
Factor in depreciation and your numbers will lean toward diesel. The diesel I had before this one was 34k out the door. Drove it for 2 years and 35k miles and sold it for 30k....try that with a gasser and see where it gets you....
right but 34k is not a brand new diesel and if it were it would be a stripped down single cab. Like the other guy said whats your price point. Brand new to brand new with like trim, or used with like trim.

I bought an 07 chevy LT1 for 26 back in 2006 for 26 and some change and traded it in for 22.5, thats trade in if I sold it probably 24-25 easy. But again your not comparing apples to apples with your example. All I am saying is if your looking at cost a brand new diesel to a brand new 1/2 gasser or a 2000 gasser to a 2000 diesel, the 1/2 ton will win every time in cost, thats a fact.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
right but 34k is not a brand new diesel and if it were it would be a stripped down single cab. Like the other guy said whats your price point. Brand new to brand new with like trim, or used with like trim.

I bought an 07 chevy LT1 for 26 back in 2006 for 26 and some change and traded it in for 22.5, thats trade in if I sold it probably 24-25 easy. But again your not comparing apples to apples with your example. All I am sayig is if your looking at cost a brand new diesel to a brand new 1/2 gasser or a 2000 gasser to a 2000 diesel, the 1/2 ton will win every time in cost, thats a fact.
Show me the shop bills for a gasser that has a million miles vs the shop bills for a cummins with a million miles.... Everything is relevant... There is a reason why guys that tow everyday for a living pick a diesel over a gasser.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a diehard Ram/Dodge fan. I have never had a single trans problem on any of the gas or diesels I have owned. I take care of my vehicles and always have. I think that the cummins is hands down the best diesel on the market. Please show me a semi tractor with a V-8? With all the tuning stopped by the government on the new models Ram hit it out if the park with this combination. Deleting and reprogramming is a thing of the past with this motor. I have 4000 miles on my new Mega cab 2013. The best one so far!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Registered

Actually Cummins has alot of V engines. The new 5.0 in the Nissan is a V engine from Cummins, and I've yet to see any reliability issues out of v engines either.

In my opinion, the Cummins wins because it comes from a company who's focus is entirely around the engine and performance. We dabble in other things (Actually power generation is one of our biggest divisions and the one that I work for specifically) but everything we do is focused around the engine. Bought a large stake in Valvoline to come up with specific blends for the engine, when turbochargers were being installed in everything they bought holset, and when you need absolute reliability in emergency power generation they strapped an alternator end to the engine and build one of the best (albeit most expensive) on the market... upwards of 120L of displacement. It's not like Cat who doesn't make any over the road engines at all anymore and work on equipment and stuff like that. From the smallest to the biggest product, the company focus is the engine.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tnc110
Show me the shop bills for a gasser that has a million miles vs the shop bills for a cummins with a million miles.... Everything is relevant... There is a reason why guys that tow everyday for a living pick a diesel over a gasser.
I agree with you, and if your about towing and a million miles diesel would be the way to go. But if your strictly looking at normal use and ownership you cant make diesel win in the financial column and being an ex diesel owner and most diesel owners will acknowledge that, AGAIN not trying to make an arguement that diesel sucks or one is better or worse. Just stating that financially a diesel 9 out of 10 times will cost you more in the wallet, thats just the way it is. But back to your question im not so sure a diesel would be so much cheaper after a million miles, remember just by looking at fuel cost a diesel is going to rack up some big time cash in fuel charges of which you could probably replace a gas engine once or twice with fuel expense of a diesel.

But again its all relevant, Im not comparing a 3/4 gasser to a 3/4 ton diesel, I was comparing it to a 1/2 truck, which again is all relevant.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kyain
Actually Cummins has alot of V engines. The new 5.0 in the Nissan is a V engine from Cummins, and I've yet to see any reliability issues out of v engines either.

In my opinion, the Cummins wins because it comes from a company who's focus is entirely around the engine and performance. We dabble in other things (Actually power generation is one of our biggest divisions and the one that I work for specifically) but everything we do is focused around the engine. Bought a large stake in Valvoline to come up with specific blends for the engine, when turbochargers were being installed in everything they bought holset, and when you need absolute reliability in emergency power generation they strapped an alternator end to the engine and build one of the best (albeit most expensive) on the market... upwards of 120L of displacement. It's not like Cat who doesn't make any over the road engines at all anymore and work on equipment and stuff like that. From the smallest to the biggest product, the company focus is the engine.
Who is making the engines for the new Cat road tractors and vocational trucks?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

Caterpillar CT660 vocational truck is based on International’s PayStar 5000i series and will use Navistar diesels and offer Cat’s own automatic transmission. The result of a manufacturing agreement between Cat and Navistar International, the trucks will be sold and serviced exclusively through Cat’s North American dealer network, with production beginning after ConExpo for delivery later in the year.

Initial engine options will include a Cat CT11 with ratings from 330 to 390 hp, and a CT13 at 410 to 475 hp. Both are expected to be MaxxForce 10.5- and 12.4-liter diesels adapted for use in the Cat trucks.
In 2012, Cat will offer a CT15 with 435 to 550 hp. This 15-liter engine will be Cat’s version of Navistar’s upcoming MaxxForce 15, which uses a Cat C15 block and other “iron” components with Navistar fuel and air systems.

Cat’s CX31 torque converter-style automatic transmission will be an option. Already used in Cat machinery, the CX31 will have three locations for rear power take-off mountings. Caterpillar will also offer other vocational transmission options, including Eaton manual and automated-manual transmissions.
They're Internationals rebranded. I don't know every bit of nitty gritty of cat by any means, just industry information that goes around, but what I was told awhile back is that Cat had major downfalls in trying to meet the new emissions regulations and just opted out and partnered up with international
Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wilks
06 or 07 classic GMC or Chevy which has duramax LBZ. The best version of the duramax with no emission crap and fuel injectors for ultra low sulfur diesel. 6 speed Allison.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine
I just bought an '06 LBZ Dually and couldn't be happier. The Allison is awesome and the power is unreal with decent fuel economy for such a large truck. I researched diesels for months and drove no less than 10 different ones and decided the LBZ was for me. I felt like the 6.0 had too many potential issues however if you happen to want to put $5k in it off the git go, it can be a badazz motor. I've always been a Ford guy, but I personally didn't like the solid front axle as it rode a little bit rougher. However the 6.7 is probably my favorite but being that it didn't come out until 2011 it was out of my budget.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:09 PM
CLA
Registered

My tow pig for the last 8 years was a 2005 Duramax SRW 2500. Truck was great (still have it).

Just bought a F250 Crew Cab Platinum Edition 4x4. Sticker 65,xxx paid 53,696 plus TT&L. I think it would pull down a sky scrapper if it had a chain around it. lol Averaged 12.5 towing to Desting and LOTO with the boat.