Notices

Diesel Thoughts???

Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Enforcer27
Hey guys...

I am trying to descide what I want to do..

I have a 2004 chevy 2500hd 4x4 6.0 gasser. It has 4.10 gears so pulling is no problem. But the gas mileage sucks! 8-10mpg

I am thinking about getting a diesel. I live in northern mn so 4x4 is a must. But I have heard many different thoughts about 7.3 ford diesel and 6.0. Thoughts on them?

Also I hear Diesels after 2006 have pretty bad mpg because of emissions crap?

Final thought.... Single rear wheel or dually?

I am usually towing my 27 fountain or a 30 enclosed race trailer.

I am chevy guy but I love fords also.. Something about straight axels just means bullet proof!!

I have the 06 LBZ now and my last truck was the 6.0L gas GMC with 4:10. the gasser did well and I liked it but the LBZ does better in power and mileage. I love the stability of DRW so I would recommend it. The SRW has clearance advantages that some need but when the wind shear gets up there, like it is in your neck of the woods, the SRW is not as stable as the DRW.
The mileage of the diesel VS gas is basically understood that what ever the gasser does the diesel will do at the very minimum 1mpg better. I checked the 8.1L against the LBZ Dmax and at 11,400 lbs the gasser was single digits in the mpg's and the diesel was always in the double digits. In general comparrison each 1mpg increment is about $4K worth in either fuel cost savings or loss over 100K miles. For example if the diesel is only 1mpg better than the gasser then over 100K miles it will cost $4K less to operate. The benefit is usually far better in favor of the diesel than for gas not to mention the power and stability.

The mileage difference from OLD diesel to NEW emission fuel loss is from 1 to 3mpg. The non emission truck will have better mpg's but the new system is not far behind........ STILL behind though. LOL

Good luck and I vote for the LBZ DRW truck; I absolutelly love mine and I don't see a different truck for me for a long time.
P.S. You can tell if a truck is LBZ by the 8th character in the VIN: if it is a "D" as in diesel it is the LBZ engine.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never go back to a gasser! I had an 09 2500hd 6.0 gas and the only thing it did well was burn gas. 13mpg empty and 4mpg towing, screaming at 6k rpms on every hill. My last truck was an 07 F250 with the 6.0 tuned,deleted etc. Absolutely awesome truck! I only had one issue the entire time I owned it and it was $40 STC fitting. Just lose the emissions crap and throw on a custom tune and you are good to go. The f250 got about 16 combined driving empty, 20 on the highway and 14.5 pulling my 28' boat. It would do about 11 pulling 15,000. Now I have a '13 ram with a Cummins. Have only put about 7000 miles on it but It does better than the ford empty 22 highway/ 19 everyday driving. Pulling the boat it's not quite as good as the ford, more like 13.5. I think the high gears help empty but hurt the towing.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chart
Diesel will pull stronger than gas, but don't get one for the fuel mileage savings. The last time I calculated the break even on buying a diesel truck vs a gas truck, it was around 100,000 miles, and that was years ago when the premium for a diesel engine was only about $4,000. It's more now.

Buy a diesel because you want one, because it pulls stronger, but don't be silly enough to buy one for the mileage savings, cause the numbers don't work. You'll spend dollars to save dimes.

Diesel resale is MUCH higher than gas tho...
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by talspaugh
11 Dmax Srw here and love it. Get's 19-22 hwy depending on Speed. Towing gets 15-17 depending on foot. Allison is Awesome and the Turbo Brake is the best
of all the big three
Really???? What year models are you referring to? Cummins was the first to offer a EB and has the best to date...
According to these guys the dmax has the worst.....
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...k/viewall.html

From what I have seen the Allison is awesome....until over 100k miles....

Last edited by tnc110; 08-28-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Diesel will pull stronger than gas, but don't get one for the fuel mileage savings. The last time I calculated the break even on buying a diesel truck vs a gas truck, it was around 100,000 miles, and that was years ago when the premium for a diesel engine was only about $4,000. It's more now.

Buy a diesel because you want one, because it pulls stronger, but don't be silly enough to buy one for the mileage savings, cause the numbers don't work. You'll spend dollars to save dimes.
well said and seeing how diesel engines are what a 6-7k up charge the fuel is now 10-20% higher. Back in the day when they were cheaper and diesel was a lot cheaper than gas it worked. But you can do the math all day with newer trucks, including MAINT and you will lose every time
Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wfo1
I would never go back to a gasser! I had an 09 2500hd 6.0 gas and the only thing it did well was burn gas. 13mpg empty and 4mpg towing, screaming at 6k rpms on every hill.
What are you towing to get 4mpg?!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
well said and seeing how diesel engines are what a 6-7k up charge the fuel is now 10-20% higher. Back in the day when they were cheaper and diesel was a lot cheaper than gas it worked. But you can do the math all day with newer trucks, including MAINT and you will lose every time
Factor in depreciation and your numbers will lean toward diesel. The diesel I had before this one was 34k out the door. Drove it for 2 years and 35k miles and sold it for 30k....try that with a gasser and see where it gets you....
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by tnc110
Factor in depreciation and your numbers will lean toward diesel. The diesel I had before this one was 34k out the door. Drove it for 2 years and 35k miles and sold it for 30k....try that with a gasser and see where it gets you....
That depends on what price point your at. A fully chocked King Ranch 4X4 Dually is going to cost you north of 65 and you're going to lose a small fortune on it two years later..........
Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Registered

A 25' gooseneck dump trailer with a mini excavator, a big hydraulic breaker, and an extra skid loader bucket on the trip I was referring to, but it never did better than 5.5-6mpg pulling anything of any real weight.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

We just took in on trade a 2006 Dodge 2500 ram crew cab 4x4 diesel Laramie with 54,000 miles
1 owner Black with dove gray leather loaded up in mint condition. It will be on our website next week for sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.