Notices

Crappy ride

Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy ride

I just bought a 38 fountain Sc on a gooseneck Magnum trailer and it rides seriously worse than my 38 Excalibur on a bumper pull setup....my question is, could my Biggass truck be the problem? Have a 2000 7.3 F350 with a 6" lift on 37's, could it be causing the trailer to not ride correctly, putting too much load on the truck and not spreading if out equally on the axels?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Post a picture of it hooked up, I would think most gooseneck trailers are not meant to be hooked up to lifted trucks.

Does it sit level?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Air bags on my Avalanche really helped the towing ride. The lift is not helping especially 6 inch.

Wannabe
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

You are probably getting bucking from the arch of the gooseneck , I have a 24ft flat deckover goose and I get beat up w in my dually when that thing is loaded . The truck also has airbags .

Last edited by 575cat; 09-05-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I bet the combination of the lift and the gooseneck is what's doing it.

I have the exact same truck, no lift, running 19.5" commercial wheels/tires.
Ride unloaded is worse than stock.
Ride loaded/towing is better than stock.

I bet you need to shorten your gooseneck setup, but I am not an expert on these.
You might also look into a cushioned setup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cush...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

The airbag in the back of the truck types scare me, but the ones with cushion built into the trailer pin look sound designs for the most part.

You could look into converting to Fifth Wheel which gives you even more options.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-05-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Gooseneck/fifth wheels are tricky. ANY slop in the hitch or flexing of the trailer frame will make you crazy! My 2012 F-350 stock hitch ball has 10 thousandths of a inch clearance as a drop in ball. Awful setup. Its constantly bucking until I . JB welded it into the socket. Problem disappeared.
Any clearance will be accelerated when cycling. Check for slop and remove it where you can. Good Luck
Old 09-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the lift is killing you...center of gravity is now off as well as angle of the 5th wheel I'm betting
Old 09-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

All lift kits are not equal... you have some that are purely cosmetic, some designed with really heavy spring rates, some with lighter soring rates and/or designed for more travel/articulation and then there are some that just arent designed worth a damn to begin with. If you just have 6" blocks stuffed in there you could be having problems with the springs twisting and axle occilation, locator arms from the frame to the axle can help but the geomtry needs to me right. If its a big mongo heavily arched spring you may be running out of shackle If its a long travel type lift its going to wallow all over. you may just have shocks that arent capable of controlling the spring rate

Geometry, spring rate and dampening all have to be correct and in harmony. What exactly do you mean by "rides like crap" what specifically is it doing?? Is it a compression problem? rebound problem? to stiff or does it wallow around like a drunk pig??

Last edited by phragle; 09-05-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered

It's a 6" procomp all spring lift, it drives straight as an arrow but it does buck off ever little bump and feel ever damn bump or snail in the road
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

NICE looking setup. Folks 'dream' about gooseneck boat trailers here on OSO all the time.

You definitely need to get the trailer level. It looks like you have a fair bit of room to do so without worrying about contact. Worst case, when cresting steep ramps, you might need to drop the tailgate. Going to a notched-gooseneck tailgate might be the ticket as well.

If you are considering wheels/tires for the trailer, you would want to do that before you do any modifying on the trailer. You might be able to get an inch or two of height on the trailer by going to bigger wheels/tires.

Last, looking at the front of the trailer, I feel as though the boat should be resting on the bow stop. Is the boat bucking on the trailer at all, or is it rock solid? It looks like you have a couple straps going forward, but nothing up and down. I think you would have a much better trailer setup if you had the V-block setup like Myco, Manning, or Loadmaster, and the boat was securely planted on the bow stop. (Ditch that roller.)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...p-trailer.html
http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/options2/#bowstop

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528811[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Crappy ride-performance.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-05-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.