Notices

Tow a 29 outlaw with a Bronco?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd simply call it a bad idea.
And if the trailer has surge brakes I'd call it a very bad idea.
I friggin hate a surge brakings engagement.
Remember this my Internet friend,
80% plus of accidents happen within 5 miles of your home on the roads your the most comfortable with.
I sure like the sound of that tow rig mentioned earlier, the price is sweet indeed!!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. My bronco has a 4 inch lift and I towed my 25 outlaw all over with no problems. I had no issues down big hills or stopping. But I agree with the consensus and I think I'll just have to be happy with my 24 outlaw for now. No biggie, it was a project for 2 1/2 years and I was finally able to enjoy it this year. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts

These guy dont know what they`re talking about... you `ll be fiiiiine!!

This looks bigger than a 29 and hes getting along just fine.. see?

Its a BRONCO not a pony!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome picture.

I had a 84 Ford Bronco with a 300 straight 6 that as a kid that i towed all kinds of things i shouldn't have. Alley jumping was fun too. Almost broke my neck on the roof. Took the crappy tires off and put some load range E rocks on it and all sway went away. Still stopped for crap.

I know better now.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Sounds like you are talking about electric brakes or electric over hyd. You need pressure on the actuator to apply regular hyd surge brakes, and that only happens if you put your foot on the brake of the tow vehicle. There is often a lag while it actuates, and the extra downward pressure put on the surge brakes could throw off the balance of a short-wheelbase relative light weight tow vehicle, which would make things unstable.

Case in point - many years ago I towed my 25ish Baja with a 92 Dodge Dakota 2WD club cab. It had the 5.2L V8, so pulling was not much of an issue. I had surge brakes on the trailer, so most of the time I could stop just fine. I was always careful to give myself an extra safety factor with extra following distance when towing. One day on the way to Lake Cumberland, I was on a narrow 2 lane road (Hwy 127) within a few miles of the ramp. It had just started to drizzle lightly, and I had a little Toyota sub compact in front of me. I had oncoming traffic, and briefly took my eyes off the road to look in my side view mirror to make sure my trailer was on my side of the line. When I looked back up, the lady in the Toyota had basically come to a sudden stop to make a left turn into a yard sale - no signal or anything - she just stopped. I hit the brakes, started to skid on the wet road, and had a millisecond to decide whether to cream her or try to steer around her. I took option B, which put me through a 4-foot deep ditch into a gravel parking lot. The guy behind me said that everything - truck, trailer, boat - the whole works - went airborne about 3 feet in the air. Bent the frame on the truck, tore the hitch off, bent the trailer up pretty good, and had to pull the engine and transom assy on the boat to reseal from the impact. But no one was hurt - thankfully. If I would have hit her, pretty sure she would have been killed or seriously injured.

I'm not sure if having a bigger tow rig would have made a big difference in this situation, but it sure couldn't have hurt. I couldn't imagine trying to stop that boat and make that maneuver with a short wheelbase vehicle. And this was just a 25 foot Baja - not a 29 foot boat with twin big blocks.
I tell you YARD SALES CAN BE LETHAL.

It's the best excuse I know...
Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
These guy dont know what they`re talking about... you `ll be fiiiiine!!

This looks bigger than a 29 and hes getting along just fine.. see?

Its a BRONCO not a pony!

that's some funny Chit right there, notice the front window and doors are open to lessen the drag efficiency, allowing max speed and wheelie popping at any time
Old 10-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Lightbulb

I would suggest a slight headlight beam adjustment.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

park the bronco and get a nice s10 pickup for towing the 29.all these guys with the fancy dually trucks are just wasting their money to be show offs.a s10 with the 4.3 engine has no towing limits.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I have a funny story about that Mike. As older kids.

Extra Cab s10. 5 guys. 2.8L 5 spd. 8 Snowmobiles

Yes, didn't end well. It Drove straight into (brakes didn't stop it) a Buddies 4WD Blazer that had a Tranny lock up. It was having issues earlier in trip, thus why everything got loaded into and to the S10.

Some crowbars and screw drivers, the cooling fan got unjammed from the sheet metal...loaded up those two guys and made it to safety.

Young and dumb.....another question on why some of us are still alive.

Last edited by SB; 10-11-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

On of these would be great:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.