Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Tow vehicle.....long bed or short bed??  Help!! >

Tow vehicle.....long bed or short bed?? Help!!

Notices

Tow vehicle.....long bed or short bed?? Help!!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow vehicle.....long bed or short bed?? Help!!

I have a 29' powerquest that i pull with a f250 diesel ext cab long bed, i now use that truck as a service truck for a new business i have started and i have a work topper on it, i dont like using it to pull the boat cause i cant see behind me and have to use mirrors. I am looking into a new tow vehicle and want a four door for the family but like a full size 8' bed. My question is this.......what are the pro's and con's of 4 door long bed vs 4 door short bed for pulling??? I know many have both as a tow vehicle and can shed some light on the matter from first hand experience. Im sure there are maneuverablility issues being the rig is longer if i go with a long bed. I pulled up next to a four door long bed the other day and looks like wheel base is about 1' longer than mine and bed sticks out maybe 2' more than mine. Please share your comments pros and cons because i want to make the best choice for my next tow vehicle for the boat. It will be a 4 door for sure, the bed size is the question?????? Thanks gents!! Current vehicle is 99 f250 7.3
Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Registered

I don't have as big a boat, but have an extended cab 6.5 ft bed Sierra with a cap and It's perfect for me.

The only downfall I'd see of a quad cab 8 ft bed is turning radius at a short launch.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:43 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Number 1 is learn to use your mirrors and trust them!! The only other thing The longer wheel base will be more stable. Beyond that you are correct on the shorter wheelbase being more maneuverable. I personally used to always go for the long bed. But the last three trucks over 15 years have been short beds. All F250 crew cabs short beds one with a topper (I can see just fine).
Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Registered

^^ +1 On mirror use!! That's the first thing my father taught me when learning to drive^^
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done use your mirrors use your horn damit. saw this rig on ebay. 8' bed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221666669296...84.m1555.l2649
Old 01-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st, do you trust what you see in your bathroom mirror?? Then why wouldn't you trust what you see in your truck mirrors??? 2nd, the longer the better. More stability. Most boat ramps allow plenty of room to maneuver. My boat and trailer are 42' long. Never had a problem where ever I have gone.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Registered

I have had my fare share of trucks over the years. But I use two F350s to tow my 29 Fountain. One is a extended cab short bed 4x4 with the 7.3 with 35s great for around the local area towing. But for long hauls down the interstate it just moves around to much. The second is a extended cab long bed 4x4 with the 6.4L with Factory 20s. It works good around town also and blows the shorter wheel base away going down the highway. So in my opinion the longer the wheel base the nicer the ride. I don't want to be to worn out from the ride there to not enjoy being out on the boat. With regards to the mirrors I to agree. Learn to use the mirors. I like the power sliding mirrors. They help to see the very rear of the rig when backing up. IMO.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:38 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Still blown away by the "can't see behind me and have to use my mirrors" I was raised using mirrors and with a boat behind you, you can't see behind you anyhow.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:07 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I run an F350 long bed and having hauled it with a short bed too, I can tell you the long bed is much easier on the highway. The longer the wheelbase, the better. As said prior, the only downside at all is moving it in tight spots. I'll take the comfort on the road any day though..
Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 AM
Gold Member

I went from a dodge 1500,4wd quad cab,short bed to a 2014,2500,4wd,8ft bed.the pros of the 8ft bed are better ride when towing and it feels more stable.cons,,,,its a pain in the ass turning and moving in tight spots.the cab is a crew cab and w/8ft box make it about 21ft long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.