Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Wide Trailer or High Overall Height - Need Trailer Advice >

Wide Trailer or High Overall Height - Need Trailer Advice

Notices

Wide Trailer or High Overall Height - Need Trailer Advice

Old 01-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
The 10 foot will be an issue with most roads not maintained by the state. Interstates have a standard 12 foot width, but some go down to 10. Get on county roads which some are barely 10 feet and that's counting the shoulder, some even a bit less. My dump truck is 8.6 and if it was 10 in some places the tires would be off the shoulder.

Maybe a 9 foot wide and shorter tires, add another axle maybe.
I had not thought about this. Most of the areas I go are modern wider roads, but this could certainly be an added stress while trailering.

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Would be ruff hinging a hardtop, but if it could be done, it would clear the issue
Im going to look into having the hard top cut down a bit, although I am not sure where to even start with that or who could do those modifications?

Originally Posted by Barrydet
I am in the middle of a custom trailer build for our new boat. I had this discussion with the reputable builder that I chose to build the trailer. We were discussing my desire for a trailer that would allow me to get through a garage door height of 10 feet. I asked the question if spreading the trailer width beyond legal width of 8 feet 6 inches would solve the dilemma. The builder said it would, however, he warned me that he would not place a "This vehicle conforms to all applicable federal laws..." label on an overwidth build. He told me that he would have to label the trailer as "Not for highway use". This label description could possibly cause you problems with vehicle inspection and registration requirements. I would check this possibility out with your state authorities before committing to a over width trailer build. It might be smarter to stick with a legal width trailer and rely upon permitting and routing requirements for an oversize load.
I will have to look into this. Do you mind saying who is building your trailer?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

My friends trailer got stuck at the toll booth. Trailer was wider than the curbs. He said it was not a fun experience.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
My friends trailer got stuck at the toll booth. Trailer was wider than the curbs. He said it was not a fun experience.

with a beam width of 10'10" and even the trailer at 10ft. he's going to have to take the far lane anyway in order to pay tolls. so i dont think it would get stuck. sounds ike your buddy tried to go through one of the narrow width openings
Old 01-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by SKammeraad
with a beam width of 10'10" and even the trailer at 10ft. he's going to have to take the far lane anyway in order to pay tolls. so i dont think it would get stuck. sounds ike your buddy tried to go through one of the narrow width openings
It was actually an open car trailer. Trailer wasn't that wide. I think 9-/9-6. He went through the regular lanes. Had to unload the car off to trailer to get trailer out. Needless to say there wee many unhappy people waiting.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
It was actually an open car trailer. Trailer wasn't that wide. I think 9-/9-6. He went through the regular lanes. Had to unload the car off to trailer to get trailer out. Needless to say there wee many unhappy people waiting.

damn that was a wide open car hauler then. mine was only 8' wide i think
Old 01-25-2018, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
I had not thought about this. Most of the areas I go are modern wider roads, but this could certainly be an added stress while trailering.

Im going to look into having the hard top cut down a bit, although I am not sure where to even start with that or who could do those modifications?

I will have to look into this. Do you mind saying who is building your trailer?
You bet, Magnum custom Trailer Mfg. located in Austin, Texas. This is our finished project,
Attached Thumbnails Wide Trailer or High Overall Height - Need Trailer Advice-barrys_trailer__1___searay_290_outboard_1920x670.jpg  
Old 01-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

If I had my choice, I'd go with over-width as opposed to over-height. For one thing, over-width is a whole lot easier to keep an eye on through the mirrors. Have you ever tried to use your mirrors to keep an eye on a tall load? Not fun - or effective. Second - and I don't have any hard data to prove this - but I think I've seen far more expensive damage caused by over-height loads hitting things than over-width.

I do have one question for the OP though. Isn't rigging, lifting and remounting the arch every time you trailer the boat going to get old pretty quickly?
Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

went on monterey's site, that boat is beautiful, congratulations.

too bad the roof couldn't be lowered by way of the arch going down into some pockets in the cockpit sides, and only down to
the cockpit floor, sliding down and back same angle as the arch, the front supports could pivot since motion isn't straight up and down.
but the loss of space and cost of the mechanism probably doesn't warrant it.

nobody wants it until it's invented tho and then it's game on.
it used to be 2 trim cylinders hosed clamped together to raise the engine hatch, now it's polished hi end stuff with led lights all over it.

as far as cutting it down, glass dave (oso member) would be the go to guy for that, what's the headroom now 8 feet

Last edited by outonsafari; 01-26-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Go wider not taller, but I would first look harder at a fold down arch or some way to modify the boat, the over width and height issues just ruin the fun.

While building the trailer please please look deep into ordering custom axles with larger bearings and brakes and a "derated" suspension. For example if you require 3 7k axles get 3 12k but with 7k torsion rubber. Same ride and the bearings and brakes will last. These trailer parts are all JUNK, and they can get away with it cause the average person doesn't tow much. EOH disc brakes or course and more tire and wheel than you need also.

Good luck keep.us updated
Old 01-27-2018, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there the ability to run an air line? Can the trailer be built to keep those clearances and use air bags?
The road widths will vary as much as height clearances will vary. As mentioned, it's far easier to watch the road width than height issues. On bags, when you do come to a possible height issue, a dump valve in the cab will allow the air to be dumped for brief periods and this can gain you an additional 4 to 5 inches of clearance. used to do this with the fuel tankers going underneath gas station canopies. The canopy wasn't the issue in most cases...it was the light fixtures hanging from the canopies.
And, although a serious pain in the backside, in a pinch, with a compressed air on board, you can always let some air pressure out of the tires for short distances...that will pick up another couple inches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.