Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch? >

Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch?

Notices

Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch?

Old 10-09-2020, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch?

All 3 of my trailer use surge brakes, so converting them over to EOH is too expensive to do to all three trailer. I get a lot of jolts in the truck when the surge brakes compress and was wondering if anybody has used a Shocker type air bag hitch. From the video, it looks like it will absorb some of the shock when the surge tongue compresses.

https://shockerhitch.com/product/sho...eceiver-hitch/

Old 10-09-2020, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

So you have disc brakes or drum on your trailer? I just converted my MYCO trailer with disc brakes to EOH and sourced the parts out from different vendors and came out less than buying the complete kit as well as buying a new 2 5/16 coupler to get rid of the surge brake assembly. Mine was around the $800 range for everything. I used the Hydrastar actuator, Hydrastar brake module for ford / chevy, new juction box with cord and 7 way plug, breakaway kit and titan 2 5/16 coupler. Its way better than the surge brakes all day long and well worth the money for the safer braking.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I have triple drums on one trailer, tandem drums on another and single drums on the 3rd trailer. At 800 ea, it gets rather expensive. I hear you about the benefits of EOH and discs and don't dispute that.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a number of people I know that have that hitch set up for their RV Campers. They all like it and say they would but it again in a heart beat. That being said, from what I have been able to tell. It helps with the bounce,(Up and down ) not the "slam" of surge breaks. So.... I am not sure if it would be worth the cost? But it would be nice to try one first hand on a surge break set up.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree it would benefit the up and down motion but as for the shock of surge brakes I would say it would do nothing. X axis motion versus the Y axis motion. And really with the setback of wheels on a boat trailer and the weight in the rear where the engines are. Boat trailers shouldn't bounce at all. I never had a bounce problem if tongue weight and height are adjusted properly. Sorry EOH way to go
Old 10-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 298 Likes on 150 Posts

Using one of these will help tremendously with the clunking
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (10-10-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I have full disk on my custom Eagle trailer and It's as smooth as silk. The only thing I feel is the back end of the tow vehicle getting pushed down when the trailer is braking hard. I did pull the boat forward to get more tongue weight and that helped with the ride more than anything. I also added a strap off the bow to the trailer that settled down the bounce of the boat over rough roads. Of course I'm only towing about 6500lbs with a Yukon Denali.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 123 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a Shocker. It's amazing for the bouncing and clanging, but I'm not sure it would help in a surge situation.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

You can feather the brakes on a tow vehicle but the scourge of a Surge brake systems that they are always trying to run over the tow vehicle.... Even semis have better control of the trailer and the truck slowing down at the same rate under braking b/c the surge system activates independently from the driver and the brakes come on harder than the pull truck is decelerating

EOH conversions may seem like a lot of money, until you hook up to one. EOH is easier on the truck, on the trailer, on the cargo ....and those in the tow vehicle

With the hitch above, I think you will run out of cushioning with the loading from the surge effect
Old 10-10-2020, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 400 Likes on 210 Posts

some times when a serge system hits hard, its either low or out of fluid, air in the system or just wore out
The following users liked this post:
PARASAIL941 (10-15-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.