Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch? >

Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch?

Notices

Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch?

Old 10-25-2020, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
All 3 of my trailer use surge brakes, so converting them over to EOH is too expensive to do to all three trailer. I get a lot of jolts in the truck when the surge brakes compress and was wondering if anybody has used a Shocker type air bag hitch. From the video, it looks like it will absorb some of the shock when the surge tongue compresses.

https://shockerhitch.com/product/sho...eceiver-hitch/

you should not have any clunking in the surge brakes, there may be some adjustment in the master cylinder or the slide to take up any slack, but a lot of actuators don’t even have that. Most likely there’s air in the line or all the fluid has leaked out. My surge brakes are smooth.

regardless, this hitch wouldn’t help with that situation anyway, this is more for bouncing on rough roads.
The following users liked this post:
ThisIsLivin (10-26-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi, I tow heavy stuff including my boat often. What I have found out is the tighter the hitch the better the ride. I don't think surge will ever give you a seamless ride, just by design. Any slop, anywhere will transmit to the back of your seat. I actually weld and grind my adapters to fit snugly in the receiver of my truck. Just the slop in the slide in you can feel! On my older ford hitches the cross tube of the factory hitch had a bit of flex, so I welded additional gussets to stop the twist flex of the tube. My 2017 F-350 hitch is a bit different so it does not flex. On my earlier 2012 & 2000 F-350 factory removable goose neck ball the tiny bit of slop was driving me nuts. I was in Ft Stockton Texas, I pulled the ball out, coated in with JB Weld, slammed it back in and the next am just like magic the ride was perfect! So bottom line I think a cushion hitch may have its place but its only trying to make up for something else going on.
The following 2 users liked this post by fossil fuel:
Padraig (12-16-2020), Sydwayz (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 10:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
Hi, I tow heavy stuff including my boat often. What I have found out is the tighter the hitch the better the ride. I don't think surge will ever give you a seamless ride, just by design. Any slop, anywhere will transmit to the back of your seat. I actually weld and grind my adapters to fit snugly in the receiver of my truck. Just the slop in the slide in you can feel! On my older ford hitches the cross tube of the factory hitch had a bit of flex, so I welded additional gussets to stop the twist flex of the tube. My 2017 F-350 hitch is a bit different so it does not flex. On my earlier 2012 & 2000 F-350 factory removable goose neck ball the tiny bit of slop was driving me nuts. I was in Ft Stockton Texas, I pulled the ball out, coated in with JB Weld, slammed it back in and the next am just like magic the ride was perfect! So bottom line I think a cushion hitch may have its place but its only trying to make up for something else going on.

I 100% agree. I have tried a lot of "hitch tighener" products over the years, and they all have found each of their weaknesses.
I have been using these for the past few years, and they work very, very well. I change out the nuts to a serrated flange nut, and a ny-lock nut on top of that. That works well IME.

Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch?-81ofp-dvg2l._ac_sx355_.jpg

They are on Amazon too.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-...er/RM-061.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-...er/RM-062.html
The following users liked this post:
Griff (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 03:41 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How old are you surge actuators? Mine was totally shot and I rebuilt it, new Rollers and socks inside the actuator and it made it perfect. I would look it apart and check out the shocks inside, for $40 you an toss new ones in there, bleed the lines and you may be good to go.