Notices

6.0 studded

Old 10-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 123 Posts

The 6.0 engine is actually pretty good, it is all of the JUNK that Ford put on them that is bad. I used to buy them for pennies on the dollar with leaking head gaskets, egr coolers, oil coolers. I would do the Bulletproof kit with a reprogrammed FICM and it was amazing how well they ran. Brought good money when they were done.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA View Post
Good to hear!

If I am ever in KC I might ask you for a ride to see if a 6.0 is something I would be interested in. The price point is definitely nice, but I know that comes with the risk of having to spend 5k at any given time to bulletproof it, if it is not already bulletproofed.
Mine was 3,200 out the door, thats about half what a dealership would charge
Old 10-05-2021, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy View Post
Mine was 3,200 out the door, thats about half what a dealership would charge
So you had EGR and oil cooler done prior, and just studding the heads costs 3200?

Old 10-05-2021, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1800 in parts the rest is labor, I had some additional parts that where over an above a regular studding, broken Injector 200 bucks, expansion tank replace, T handle on the dip stick was broke and a couple other things, this also included an oil and filter change and fuel filters, keep in mind this was a good friend of my brother-in-law, all OE Ford parts at cost, I paid Brian an extra 200 bucks on top of his 1200 labor
Old 10-05-2021, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan View Post
The 6.0 engine is actually pretty good, it is all of the JUNK that Ford put on them that is bad. I used to buy them for pennies on the dollar with leaking head gaskets, egr coolers, oil coolers. I would do the Bulletproof kit with a reprogrammed FICM and it was amazing how well they ran. Brought good money when they were done.
One of my customers is Modine who built the EGR coolers, and Ford insisted on a low quality alloy to save cost. I wonder what that cost savings cost Ford in the end?

I have 6.0 with al the fixes, but still think of it like a 2 stroke outboard. I just hope at the end of the day, I can put the pin back in the grenade.
The following users liked this post:
Unlimited jd (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 536 Likes on 257 Posts

1800 in parts the rest is labor, I had some additional parts that where over an above a regular studding, broken Injector 200 bucks, expansion tank replace, T handle on the dip stick was broke and a couple other things, this also included an oil and filter change and fuel filters, keep in mind this was a good friend of my brother-in-law, all OE Ford parts at cost, I paid Brian an extra 200 bucks on top of his 1200 labor
that was cheap. Sounds like he was attentive and cautious also. Save that guys contact.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unlimited jd:
F-2 Speedy (10-05-2021), Sydwayz (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:43 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I know of a Glad that matches this.........^^^^
as the owner of that gladiator asked, I added the air inlet in the front fender, which is from 2008 - 10 model trucks. Not that he ever misses anything! LOL
Old 10-06-2021, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
as the owner of that gladiator asked, I added the air inlet in the front fender, which is from 2008 - 10 model trucks. Not that he ever misses anything! LOL
Your boat went to a good home, Steve spared no expense making it perfect.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Aqua Banshee View Post
One of my customers is Modine who built the EGR coolers, and Ford insisted on a low quality alloy to save cost. I wonder what that cost savings cost Ford in the end?

I have 6.0 with al the fixes, but still think of it like a 2 stroke outboard. I just hope at the end of the day, I can put the pin back in the grenade.
That whole 6.0 program was doomed from the get go. Ford wanted a new more efficient and powerful platform knowing what was coming in 07.5 with the higher emissions requirements. And there was Navistar caught in the middle, they built a tough bottom end and valvetrain. Ford had them slap all the extra ancillary pieces on after the fact to meet emissions. I don't fault Navistar for what they created in the 6.0 bottom end, that is a tough engine. Cummins on the other hand changed the cam profile to naturally create an egr internally.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Aqua Banshee View Post

I use to work @ Modine building Ford radiators in Emporia, what a thankless job that was.............lol