Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
How long will a new diesel last? >

How long will a new diesel last?

Notices

How long will a new diesel last?

Old 12-03-2021, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

It's hard for me to trust the new technology....not on the same level of a new diesel, but my 2 year old dishwasher just crapped out. Control panel is backordered.... when/if it comes in, it's a $375 repair! It's 2 years old...I'm gonna just go buy a new one. I hate to throw away a 2 year old appliance but they have no clue when the part will come in.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll add this to what you all are already saying. Can Bus is gov required on all new vehicles. That technology was developed by bosch in the late 80's, I believe MBenz was first to put it into production. Can Bus is not one of those electronic things that stands the test of time because of corrosion or conductor degradation. Because of this I agree with Wildman_Grafix about these new trucks not being around in 30-40 years. Our position currently is to buy the most capable truck we can afford and plan to trade it before the tech is out of date. It is a crazy world out there right now in the auto industry.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (12-05-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
Once again, thanks for the inputs. Sadly I dont think we will ever see a truck as simple as a mid 70's 454 turbo400 truck but in hindsight they sucked to tow with. I've got a city car/ daily driver so that box is checked. A hybrid diesel would be awsome , battery power for driving to the store and diesel power for hauling but then once again all that complexity that causes a short usable life span . Maybe a bicycle and inflatable raft is the answer
Lol, every time I work on a newer truck….I keep wanting to go back to older…..all the time I spend on my older diesels the more I want a newer one, then I get the the sticker shock. Living in the extreme rust belt, I just can’t justify it for myself, hell even my wife’s 2016 Cummins is starting to get rust bubbles. Just can’t justify 50-80k for a truck that’ll be a rot box, that’s loaded with crap I could care less for (stability control/traction control/touch screens etc) before it’s paid for…..Currently collecting parts to build my next daily driver/tow rig, 86 chev cucv military truck, swapping it to a drw truck with a 24v Cummins an a g56 6 speed,
Old 12-08-2021, 07:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I had a 7.3L PSD CC 4x4 LB DRW, 2000 model year, the best year for the 7.3L based on it's internals. It was also the Lariat LE, the predecessor to the King Ranch, with 4 bucket seats, and the nicest interior of the era.
I changed it up a bit over the years, and always said they'd bury me in that truck.

And then it broke down on me. I was 5 hours from home, towing Monsoon, at a Poker Run. That was in the 2016 time frame. I took it to a shop that said they could fix it; alas, they didn't know crap about the 7.3L, wasting $1500 of my money. It turns out it was the fuel injector harness under the valve cover, a common problem on 7.3Ls, and pretty much their only weakness. But I didn't know about it. And the whole thing soured me on the truck.

I borrowed a 2014 F350 for the tow home, and that comfort level difference steered me toward a new truck. I knew that tow home in a more modern truck was going to 'cost me money.' That's when I started looking into the new offerings. The quietness and refinement of the newer trucks really makes them more pleasurable to drive; enabling oneself to drive longer per day on road trips.

Eventually, I ordered a 2018 Ram 3500 Cummins/AISIN SRW CC LB; Laramie LongHorn trim with the 1-year only SouthFork Edition option package.

I couldn't be happier. I got a 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty (free from dealer) on top of the factory 3 year/36K bumper to bumper warranty; and purchased a 7 year/60K bumper to bumper warranty as well. I have upgraded it to my tastes, and I wish I had more occasions to drive it; as it's a treat to myself when I do.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-08-2021 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

My Chevy 8.1l/Allison dually quit halfway up the hill from Performance Center , had to put in 4x4 low and crawl up the hill.
My Dodge Cummins 2012 would make it up but it seemed like it would hurt the trans so also 4x4 low.
All of these trucks I used 4x4 low to pull boat out of ramps.
The new 2021 Dodge doesn`t give a $hit about any dumb hills. Performance center hill it pulls it up no problem.I put in 4x4 low at the ramps and it starts to pull out the boat with no gas input. I guess 1100tq will do that.
The thing is a beast , super comfortable and I love driving it but it did cost more than my first house. Glad I got it before Lets Go Branden prices went into affect . I actually got $7k off sticker. Now I think they`re $7k above sticker.

The 12"Tesla screen is cool , I turned it into a TV for long trips.

The following 5 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
Gimme Fuel (12-08-2021), SabrToothSqrl (12-08-2021), Sydwayz (12-08-2021), ThisIsLivin (12-09-2021), TylerBurich (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerBurich
I'll add this to what you all are already saying. Can Bus is gov required on all new vehicles. That technology was developed by bosch in the late 80's, I believe MBenz was first to put it into production. Can Bus is not one of those electronic things that stands the test of time because of corrosion or conductor degradation. Because of this I agree with Wildman_Grafix about these new trucks not being around in 30-40 years. Our position currently is to buy the most capable truck we can afford and plan to trade it before the tech is out of date. It is a crazy world out there right now in the auto industry.
Not sure where you have heard CAN bus is required on all vehicles. You may be referring to the OBD port which is a standard and from what I get a CAN Bus. But internally there are a lot of different protocols used and even within each there are variants. Do you have some different information?

I checked with some friends that are still in the OEM biz and that is not correct. You are right that Benz was the first to use CAN. From what I understand GM is moving to Ethernet since there are a lot more programmers available.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

that RAM is sweet! If Tesla didn't exist, that's what I'd have.
The Ram Rebel in slate grey or whatever color they call it.

Hoping to get my CyberTruck in 2022. My buddy has a new corvette on order and we plan to race both 0-60 (both have similar times). should be good for some $hits and giggles.
Before they removed the specs from the website, it said it tows 14k. No idea what the new quad motor one will tow, guessing the same. So I no longer have to rent a 2500 pickup 2x a year.

Ford has closed pre-orders for the F-150 Lightning after getting 200,000 orders...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 12-08-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just decide to address all the small issues and keep driving what you have or get a new one, it all depends on your financial situation. Let me add that the new diesels are so nice plus they almost always last until the warranty expires.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Let me add that the new diesels are so nice plus they almost always last until the warranty expires.[/QUOTE]

And There you have it lol
Old 12-09-2021, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Let me add that the new diesels are so nice plus they almost always last until the warranty expires.
And There you have it lol[/QUOTE]

For my weight I decided on the ford 7.3 gas motor. the $9800 difference in price lets me get a lot of nice little add on's I wanted, and the payback of better mileage would take a LONG time for me. I mean my 25 year old truck only has 151K on it.

No DEF.
No higher fuel price.
Little less mileage,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.