Notices

Safety Cable to Chains

Old 04-11-2024, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 798 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Safety Cable to Chains

Guys,

I haven’t liked the safety cables that are on our trailer from the time we bought the boat. They’re stiff, unruly, and are starting to fray a bit at the loops (they were like that when we bought it), and they have a tendency to bite while handling them. I would really like to replace them with chains.

The hooks are labeled as 5/16”. My guess is the cables are actually 3/8”, with the covering and a little bit of bend expansion accounting for it measuring 1/2” at the bent loop. Is it safe to go with 3/8” link chain? Or should I go bigger? Are the quick links OK to o connect the hooks to the chain?

Boat and trailer weight a combined ~7000lbs dry.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 04-11-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Guys,

I haven’t liked the safety cables that are on our trailer from the time we bought the boat. They’re stiff, unruly, and are starting to fray a bit at the loops (they were like that when we bought it), and they have a tendency to bite while handling them. I would really like to replace them with chains.

The hooks are labeled as 5/16”. My guess is the cables are actually 3/8”, with the covering and a little bit of bend expansion accounting for it measuring 1/2” at the bent loop. Is it safe to go with 3/8” link chain? Or should I go bigger? Are the quick links OK to o connect the hooks to the chain?

Boat and trailer weight a combined ~7000lbs dry.

Thanks. Brad.
Nevermind. I just bought a couple of pre-fabbed safety chains with forged hooks, 10K lb load capacity each. I think we're good.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
Helmwurst (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 06:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

Did the same thing on my Nordic...got mine from etrailer and they were sold as a kit by weight...sounds like you're all set lol
Old 04-12-2024, 07:44 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

You have to look at the chains working load limits. A "Typical" 3/8" chain has a working load limit of around 8800lbs so it should be plenty good for your application...just make sure you can verify the load limits as ive seen some very cheap chains sold at stores that i wouldn't trust hold a back yard gate closed!
Also make sure you have enough length of chain to criss-cross under the trailer tongue and still be able to make tight turns....but im sure you already know that

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-12-2024, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
You have to look at the chains working load limits. A "Typical" 3/8" chain has a working load limit of around 8800lbs so it should be plenty good for your application...just make sure you can verify the load limits as ive seen some very cheap chains sold at stores that i wouldn't trust hold a back yard gate closed!
Also make sure you have enough length of chain to criss-cross under the trailer tongue and still be able to make tight turns....but im sure you already know that
Wally,

Yup. This is what I ordered:

Safety Chains

I think we’re good.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

When I replaced my coupler and added EOH brakes, I put on cable type. Will be going back to chains too.

Padraig