Notices

Big Dog Motorcycles

Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
I have to say I like the branding of the HD Thunder Mountain bikes. Never heard of them till this thread. The HD reliability, parts availability, accesories, and that just about anyone anywhere can work on it. There's a nice one on eBay right now. Not sure how important the right side drive and six speed tranny really is.

For what the average person uses a bike for, the right hand drive is just a novelty, and my favorite thing about the Thunder Mountain is FACTORY H_D WARRANTY,,available anywhere. Most of the newer ones have the 103 ci motor which has plenty of azz properly tuned/setup.
A friend of mine bought a Pitbull chopper from Pitbull (an Orlando company rapidly going defunct) and it has been nothing but a nightmare electrically. and it seems to be a common issue with MOST(not all) choppers, no matter whose motor/trans you use, its no better than the sum of the parts/techs that make the rest of the bike.

Just a personal opinion/observation, that is in no way meant to offend anyone.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick02
For what the average person uses a bike for, the right hand drive

not really... if you get the opportunity find 2 bikes with a 240 tire or wider... pick up the left side drive, then pick up the right side drive. The right side drive comes off the stand much easier, maybe that in it's own is not really that big of a deal, however my left side bike with a 240, has a tendency to lean to the left when riding, I always have to shift my weight slightly to the right, and I feel as if I am either pulling on bars with my right hand, or pushing with my left. Riding around town in traffic not a big deal, but out on the highway it's noticable. Most custom bikes now are coming with a 280 or wider. I'm not sure if any of them even offer left side, but I have to believe a 280-300 tire with a left side drive would be a handful to ride.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a 2005 BBC Venom. Less than 1K miles for under $22K. I can tell you right now this bike is an awesome ride. Belongs to a friend bored and ready to move on. I can send all kind of pics if interested.
Attached Thumbnails Big Dog Motorcycles-img_1301.jpg  
Old 08-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by texaschopper
not really... if you get the opportunity find 2 bikes with a 240 tire or wider... pick up the left side drive, then pick up the right side drive. The right side drive comes off the stand much easier, maybe that in it's own is not really that big of a deal, however my left side bike with a 240, has a tendency to lean to the left when riding, I always have to shift my weight slightly to the right, and I feel as if I am either pulling on bars with my right hand, or pushing with my left. Riding around town in traffic not a big deal, but out on the highway it's noticable. Most custom bikes now are coming with a 280 or wider. I'm not sure if any of them even offer left side, but I have to believe a 280-300 tire with a left side drive would be a handful to ride.
I agree my K-9 has a 300 rear tire, right hand drive is the only way to go!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Registered

My bike is a 300 rsd. It still is like trying to drive a gyroscope. That f*cker does not like turns!!
Attached Thumbnails Big Dog Motorcycles-img_1256.jpg   Big Dog Motorcycles-img_1257.jpg  
Old 08-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Registered

With the wider rear tire its understandable, they all handle like crap compared to the smaller tired bikes, because the rear tire doesn't track/follow the front tire worth a crap, and the right side drive gave more belt/chain clearance and less torque reaction and I agree they do handle a little better than the l/hand drive stuff with that big a tire, but on the other hand,,very few people ride a chopper far enough to know the difference.
Texas Chopper, It all goes back to the first part of the sentence you quoted..

Last edited by Slick02; 08-08-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Registered

Very rarely do I ride more than 50 miles between stops. It's worth the looks over the Harleys anyday. You can't beat a bagger for the ride though.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 240 rear tire and left side drive. It doesn't seem to have any particularly bad habits.

But hey....different is good when it comes to bikes or boats.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
This is a 2005 BBC Venom. Less than 1K miles for under $22K. I can tell you right now this bike is an awesome ride. Belongs to a friend bored and ready to move on. I can send all kind of pics if interested.
Kevin builds a great bike, i met him in Myrtle wayyy back when he first started to do the mail order bike thing, he has put together a great pkg, still funny when you look at him and then hear the aussie accent. another great bare bones mail order bike is Russel Mitchells Exile cycles, very basic, very bad ass.