Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Took apart a perfectly GOOD running boat... >

Took apart a perfectly GOOD running boat...

Notices

Took apart a perfectly GOOD running boat...

Old 03-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Nice pump box. If water or when water gets in there will it be able to drain out? Nice work on the transducer as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
Not at this time... The current mounts are pretty beefy and mounted with (4) 1/2" bolts.. and I don't run the ocean (or LOTO that I've heard is worse.. LOL)

If needed I'll line the fuel pump compartment with sound deadening as well..(the Aeromotive Eliminator pump is LOUD !
Haven't decided on a door or just a screw on panel yet. I'll only access it once a year or so to clean the primary filter so we'll see once I get the engine set in again..
I imagine sound deadening insulation could also keep the heat in. Looking at the cooling fins on the pump I suspect it throws off some heat. Perhaps a vented cover? I do like the adjustability of the standard engine mounts. For an offshore mount It's certainly not fun marking (and then drilling) 3 holes on each L-bracket while the engine is suspended and then praying that alignment bar slides in easily! It wasn't bad on my 22' with a (potent) SBC but a real PIA on my 320 with twin BBC which 1 engine came from the factory out of alignment (Friday rigging perhaps!) Thanks for the updates and best of luck on the modifications.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelocity
I imagine sound deadening insulation could also keep the heat in. Looking at the cooling fins on the pump I suspect it throws off some heat. Perhaps a vented cover? I do like the adjustability of the standard engine mounts. For an offshore mount It's certainly not fun marking (and then drilling) 3 holes on each L-bracket while the engine is suspended and then praying that alignment bar slides in easily! It wasn't bad on my 22' with a (potent) SBC but a real PIA on my 320 with twin BBC which 1 engine came from the factory out of alignment (Friday rigging perhaps!) Thanks for the updates and best of luck on the modifications.
I did a race mount on my Corsa, and yeah, I measured. checked and re-checked MANY times before I drilled the holes. Came out good tho' just didn't feel I needed all that for this boat as it's already rigged...

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Nice pump box. If water or when water gets in there will it be able to drain out? Nice work on the transducer as well.

There is a drain hole where the stringer meets the transom...

Setting the engine in her right now..
Old 03-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Cant wait to hear how it performs.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Registered

It's..... ALIVE.......

Still have LOTS of loose ends to finish up, but got 'er fired up today..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_FtxKxnjfc
Old 03-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Registered

Congrats! Sounds great and looking forward to the results once it's dialed in.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Registered

Made it to the water FINALLY !

Didn't go as well as I had hoped but I'm certainly NOT done testing...

With the original 25 P5 Hydrmotive I've been running with the 496 (ran 65 mph most days with a best of 69)
it pulled HARD all the way to 5500 where the cam is all done.. Hit 76 MPH

I tried a previously repaired 27 Hydromotive P5 but it didn't carry the bow well. The boat was running really wet.
Only managed to hit 73 at 5300 MPH..

The last one I had along was a Cutting Edge 5 Blade 29 pitch.. It was a bit beat up..
Got to 78.4 mph at 4900 RPM

Handled GREAT at speed.. Can't hardly wait to get a real drive on 'er so I can install the blower belt..
Old 03-27-2017, 04:07 AM
Registered

Sounds like that Cutting Edge 5 Blade 29 pitch was the right move even beat up a little. What was the diameter on the 29P ?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 90profx
Sounds like that Cutting Edge 5 Blade 29 pitch was the right move even beat up a little. What was the diameter on the 29P ?
Think it's 15 11/16 diameter.. But no, it's too much prop.. Didn't pop right out of the hole like it normally does and acceleration was sluggish..
With my 25 it accelerated like a rocket to 76.. the 29 was sluggish and was only a few MPH faster..

I just got a labbed 28 P5X from a buddy to try..

But none of it will matter soon.. Looks like I may have the funding for a drive..
It's an XR but good enough for the time being so I can install the blower belt..
Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 AM
Registered

Great info, please share the results of the 28P P5X test when you've tested it out. Congrats on the XR Drive too !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.