Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Took apart a perfectly GOOD running boat... >

Took apart a perfectly GOOD running boat...

Notices

Took apart a perfectly GOOD running boat...

Old 06-25-2017, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

FINALLY made it the next step...

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 06-25-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Sounds great!

when is the first run?

Padraig
Old 06-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Ohh yeah. Looks great. Love the Procharger whine!
Old 06-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Registered

HOPING to get it in the water this weekend..

Only bad news is, ALL I have to test with is a labbed 34 pitch Bravo I prop.. hoping she can spin it..
Old 06-27-2017, 06:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Make sure your steering wheel is tight !
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Registered

Well... I'm DONE.....

Ran like crap.. Would only pull to 4500 rpm 4.5 lbs of boost.. 81.5 mph with a 34 pitch prop..
Switched to a 30 pitch and still didn't want to pull much over 4500...
The last 1/3 of the throttle did NOTHING..
Checked the dyno sheet .. it showed 4.5lbs at 4500 so the blower belt wasn't slipping.. A/F gauge (only reading odd bank) showed 11.8..
I knew my injectors were a bit small so I raised my fuel pressure some and changed the injector size in the software accordingly. Started running worse.A/F was still 11.8. It started missing..
A/F went to 8 at idle. shut it down put the fuel pressure back where it was. Went to start it and the starter just said. "thunk".. Engine wouldn't turn.
Got towed in..

I've had oil pressure issues and been finding metal in the filter since I built it. No idea what I missed. Even took it all apart once and re-assembled it. Never found the source.. still making metal tho'

So, I pulled the engine. I had dropped a lockwasher in the exhaust manifold when I pulled the riser so I pulled the manifold and found it AND cylinder #8 was FULL of Gasoline.. Injector must've stuck and hydrolocked the engine.. TIRED of working on it...

I put the STOCK ENGINE back in.... Took the boat out on the 4th.. ran GREAT. slow.. but ran GREAT...
Old 07-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Sorry for all the things that went wrong.
At least you are on the Water.

Enjoy,

Padraig
Old 07-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Sorry for all the things that went wrong.
At least you are on the Water.

Enjoy,

Padraig
Yep, really hate to hear that. Was looking forward to your results getting that setup dialed in. I've been in your shoes and fully understand the frustration. While the 496HO might not be the fastest out there, it's turn key boating. Big reason i've not modified mine yet. Do you plan on rebuilding and trying again?
Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Do you know at what point the injector stuck open? Could that be part of the metal in the filter and poor oil pressure issue if it was washing down the cylinder and filling the oil with fuel?

Sorry to hear about the problems. Good thing you still have the 496 around and can do this work yourself.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Registered

So here's the deal.. Sorry if it's a little long winded.....

When I got this engine together last year, I fired it up in the garage before heading to dyno.. I cut the filter open and found a substantial amount of metal in it..
I figured, no biggie.. left over stuff from assembly. Put another filter on it and ran it some more.. STILL a bunch of metal.. Started investigating and found my timing chain was TOO TIGHT and it wiped out the lower portion of the cam bearing and my front upper main..

When I was assembling the engine I noticed that the timing chain seemed tight.. I had to start the sprocket on the cam dowel and rotate the engine to walk it up on the nose of the cam to get it on.. I contacted the manufacturer (Rollmaster) and was assured that was normal for their timing chain sets. Well, OBVIOUSLY they were WRONG.. It would appear my timing set was mis-boxed and was for a line honed block.. Rollmaster makes the gears slightly larger for line honed engines to take up chain slack.. UNFORTUNATELY they do NOT mark the bigger gears in ANY way..
(have a cheap Comp chain on it currently)

So, anyhow, I had vacation and dyno already all scheduled so I replaced the cam bearings, rod bearings, and mains. Cleaned everything best I could but didn't completely disassemble the engine.. I then went to dyno... Made GOOD power.. Engine ran GREAT ! Didn't run the oil cooler as oil temps don't get hot on the dyno...

I installed it in the boat (less blower) Installed the cooler. Ran it for a couple outings but STILL kept finding metal in the filter.. I pulled the engine, COMPLETELY disassembled it.. Inspected and found where some debris had gone through the bearings, but did NOT find a source of the metal.. Cleaned EVRYTHING thoroughly !
Flushed the cooler and lines with mineral spirits 'tll not a single speck of debris came from it..

I installed the engine back in the boat.. Went out and managed to break the gimbal ring and spin the boat at 85mph.. Pulled the engine from the Corsa, put a stocker back in then Bought a Velocity 290sc and just got done installing the engine in February.....

I've run the engine now maybe 15 hours in the Velocty.. Changed the oil 4 times... First filter had a couple brass & a few steel flakes with some fine shavings. Second filter had a couple steel flakes, fine shavings but no brass. 3rd filter had less run time.. NO flakes but is STILL sparkly looking...
In the Velocity, it WAS dropping oil pressure above 4500 - 5000 rpm..... but it would come right back up when I backed out of it..
I pulled the engine AGAIN and changed the pan to on "offshore" style T shaped 12 quart pan.
I THEN installed the blower when it went back in to the boat... NO IDEA if the oil pressure drop issue is fixed as it wouldn't pull over 4500 RPM ...
THEN it hydrolocked on me from an injector sticking.... Pulled the oil filter, and NOW it has more metal in it than prior and it's bigger flakes of what looks like bearing material...

Waiting 'till my savings account looks a little better and will likely drop it at my buddy Bob's house for a winter project for him...

P.S. F$CK YOU Photobucket !! NOT paying $400 to get my picture links working again !

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 07-07-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.