Anemic 383 SBC >

Anemic 383 SBC

Notices

Anemic 383 SBC

Old 06-23-2022, 05:23 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
My 18 foot Baron is a 58mph boat with a 260 merc, I have ran with a lot of stock Merc 260 boats in the past, 18 Donzis and 21Scarabs back in the day.

All were about dead even for speed at 58mph..

Back when we built them we spent a day with Mercury and a trailer full of props and a radar gun trying to figure why the 280/trs boat was so much slower than the other ones we built that were 260/Pre alpha Mr drives.

260/mr boat 58 on radar.
280/Trs boat 55 on radar.

I think your 66mph with a stock 260 merc was a optimistic Tale.
More than likely it was an optimistic tale. Like I said though...thats what the guy told me. I do know that the current old school Nordskog Speedo is only a couple of MPH off from the GPS speedo on my Iphone. Right now the boat with it's current power is an honest 68 MPH boat. After doing some research. I haven't been able to find much on the HGE 7114A aluminum manifolds that are currently on the boat, but I'm seeing and hearing good things about Stainless Marine exhaust kit. My boat currently has Imco stainless risers so I'm wondering if just the Stainless Marine manifolds would be an improvement of what is currently on the boat.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Stainless marine are good exhaust, the imco risers will not fit.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:45 PM
Registered

I just got a text from the gentleman that profiles my cam shafts for me. It reads as follows. SBC 401 Boat motors with Dart SHP 165 Heads. Offshore Fishing Boat....Cam was .530/.510 211/218 .050" Air Gap Intakes.... 9 to 1. Goal was to make peak power at 5000 rpm......You can post those cam specs for the idiots on OSO. You got more head and we are going to make peak higher... Also these were 9.5 to 1, not 9 to 1. My mistake there. For a man that according to some on this board doesn't know his ass from his elbow. I feel pretty confident letting him profile the camshaft for the 383 in my 22 Velocity.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:50 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Lol.
And that’s all I have to say about that.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The hull runs really good with a 4blade stern lifter like the QIV.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Well as this thread is a roller coaster ride already, it sort of makes me hesitant to post. But here I go anyways.
I've got no bias in any regards.
But having a top notch builder as Bischoff do your work, why not just give him what you got (as in your existing engine) and your goals and let him produce?
Whether it's a Humpty Dumpty cam or Mickey Mouse cam that HE chooses.
Clearly he's competent to arrive at your goals.

I've never understood going to these guys (as in engine builders) that do it at an extremely well level every day and needing to have someone outside of them spec what they're building needs.
But that's just me. YMMV

Be neat to see dyno results of what you do take out in it's current state also, if you're so inclined to do so.
And when it's done.
The following users liked this post:
Donnie D (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cheech
Well as this thread is a roller coaster ride already, it sort of makes me hesitant to post. But here I go anyways.
I've got no bias in any regards.
But having a top notch builder as Bischoff do your work, why not just give him what you got (as in your existing engine) and your goals and let him produce?
Whether it's a Humpty Dumpty cam or Mickey Mouse cam that HE chooses.
Clearly he's competent to arrive at your goals.

I've never understood going to these guys (as in engine builders) that do it at an extremely well level every day and needing to have someone outside of them spec what they're building needs.
But that's just me. YMMV

Be neat to see dyno results of what you do take out in it's current state also, if you're so inclined to do so.
And when it's done.
Well let me tell you exactly what has taken place. Tony Bischoff attended a meeting of the minds you might say at Straub Tech headquarters in Piney Flatts TN last winter. Apparently when he went down there. He was somewhat impressed with Straubs multi million dollar operation. When I contacted Tony about doing the engine for my boat. It was Tony who recommended that I have a word with Chris about one of his cam shafts. He also ask me not to divulge the specs of the cam before Tony wrote down what cam he would spec out for the 383. Once the two were compared, they were actually very close and Tony was and is 100% on board with using the cam that was specked out by Chris Straub. Tony does not have to or need to build anyone engines. Tony chooses exactly whose engines he would like to work on, yet he has agreed to builds my 383 Marine application, and he is 100% completely on board with the cam, lifters and rocker arms that are to be used. If Tony told me that he wanted to do something different. You can bet that is exactly what would have happened.I have never and I would never talk to Tony Bischoff about me bringing my own parts and/ot having him do something that he didn't feel was in the best interest of an engine he was about to do for me. The man has forgotten more than I'll ever hope to know. As far as dynoing the engine that is in the boat now. At $750 per 8 hour dyno session. Being a retired firefighter and not someone that lives off of their parents money. I find that a complete and total waste of money. Especially when the money I do spend...Every cent must count and go toward making the engine either more reliable or make more HP. In other words. Dynoing the old engine is not an option, although I do agree it would be cool to see the caparison.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:39 PM
Registered

I have spoken with Todd at Hydromotive, and once the new engine is dynoed. I am to call him back with the numbers of what is made and where it is made.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

what a goat Fk

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 06-23-2022 at 09:13 PM. Reason: what a goat Fk
The following users liked this post:
Griff (06-25-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 03:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Stainless marine are good exhaust, the imco risers will not fit.

You are correct. I've bought a set of the 500HP manifolds and risers from Stainless Marine. The manifolds will arrive first and then I have to take some measurements as to see what risers are to fit and be used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.