Anemic 383 SBC >

Anemic 383 SBC

Notices

Anemic 383 SBC

Old 06-18-2022, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Anemic 383 SBC

Even though the 383 SBC that is in my 1985 Velocity 220 was billed to be a healthy performance piece with parts like a Callies crank, Eagle Rods, Sportsman II cylinder heads, Comp roller cam, Weiand Team G intake and a set of HGE 7114A with stainless risers free flowing exhaust. I have found that it is actually a pretty anemic engine. After doing some research. I found that the dual line double pumper Holley that was on the boat was actually a 600CFM. I ordered a 750 dual line double pumper and the engine seemed to like it. However with the Mirage Plus 25 pitch prop. The boat did pick up 3 MPH with the new carburetor...However it is only spinning at a max RPM of 4800 and 68 MPH. I feel this engine should be running at 5200-5600 RPMs, but it doesn't have the guts to spin the Mirage Plus prop. I'm going to pick up a used 23 pitch Mirage today, and it will have to be what it is until Tony Bischoff at BES Racing Engines gets his hands on the engine this fall. Part of that build will be a custom profiled cam from Straub Technologies. along with a set of Morel Hydraulic lifters and a set of 1:6-1 Harland Sharpe roller rockers. I have already set up the appointments for a new interior and a sound system. The boat is going to have the bellows, intermediate cable and gimble bearing replaced right after the 4th holiday. The red swim platform will be removed and all of the holes from former swim platforms and speedo screws will be repaired. This is a nice solid boat that just needs some attention and next season it will be my vision of what it should have been from the start.

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-18-2022 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:43 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

What comp cam is in it now ?

Is this older 2 piece rear seal style block that uses tie bar lifters or newer 1 piece rear seal block that uses dog bone retained lifters ?

btw: straub can’t bolt a throttle body on a vortec truck. Be careful. Lots of peeps here can give better advice and BES knows engines way better than Straub makes some think he does. You don’t have to believe me. Ask his last engine builder Scott Foxwell. And that’s what i have to say sbout that. Oh, you won’t overpay from other sources too.
The following 3 users liked this post by SB:
articfriends (06-23-2022), RSCHAP1 (06-21-2022), Ryan00TJ (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by SB

Is this older 2 piece rear seal style block that uses tie bar lifters or newer 1 piece rear seal block that uses dog bone retained lifters ?

btw: straub can’t bolt a throttle body on a vortec truck. Be careful. Lots of peeps here can give better advice and BES knows engines way better than Straub makes some think he does. You don’t have to believe me. Ask his last engine builder Scott Foxwell. And that’s what i have to say sbout that. Oh, you won’t overpay from other sources too.
Straub can sell you noisy morel lifters as well!
The following 3 users liked this post by underpsi68:
articfriends (06-23-2022), SB (06-18-2022), Zone 5 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB

Scott Foxwell is a shyster as well as a thief. I personally wouldn't let him build a one lunger lawnmower engine for me. Foxwell and I use to be friends before he screwed me out of a bunch of money and a set of cylinder heads among other things. Foxwell has also been booted from his last place of employment after Straub Tech and two places of employment before Straub Tech. I guess those gig's are Chris's fault as well...Right? Chris Straub never screwed me or claimed to be anything other than a cam profiler and a parts salesman. Both he does very well I might add. To be clear. I buy parts from Straub, and BES is my engine builder. That is why he runs a multi million dollar business and Foxwell is doing petty work out of his Basement trying to keep his property from being foreclosed on. Straub has profiled all of the last three engine builds and all three have been more than impressive. My advise to you is to Immediately stop drinking the Foxwell Koolaid. That is a no win situation and will cost you big money in the end. It sure has me. 2) Stop bad mouthing someone or something you obviously know nothing about 3) forget you ever saw this or any of my other posts because people such as yourself will not receive one second of my attention or time.

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-18-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:16 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Donnie D
Scott Foxwell is a shyster as well as a thief. I personally wouldn't let him build a one lunger lawnmower engine for me. Foxwell and I use to be friends before he screwed me out of a bunch of money and a set of cylinder heads among other things. Foxwell has also been booted from his last place of employment after Straub Tech and two places of employment before Straub Tech. I guess those gig's are Chris's fault as well...Right? Chris Straub never screwed me or claimed to be anything other than a cam profiler and a parts salesman. Both he does very well I might add. To be clear. I buy parts from Straub, and BES is my engine builder. That is why he runs a multi million dollar business and Foxwell is doing petty work out of his Basement trying to keep his property from being foreclosed on. Straub has profiled all of the last three engine builds and all three have been more than impressive. My advise to you is to Immediately stop drinking the Foxwell Koolaid. That is a no win situation and will cost you big money in the end. It sure has me. 2) Stop bad mouthing someone or something you obviously know nothing about 3) forget you ever saw this or any of my other posts because people such as yourself will not receive one second of my attention or time.
Me drinking Foxwell Koolaid ?????

Holy fuk that’s funny. We’ve had our issues. But….he can turn wrenches….Straub just sells bullchit……

Me know nothing about Straub and Foxwell ???

Maybe you don’t know.

Lol……

I’ll still help if you answer the questions I asked.

May I suggest something with less caffeine and not KoolAid.

Bischoff is top self. So that’s that.

Last edited by SB; 06-18-2022 at 05:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
articfriends (06-23-2022), Zone 5 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

A 25p on a na small block and you want rpms??? Whats the dyno curve look like on the motor? That also doesnt look like the greatest exhaust for a bunch of cam unless you like steam cleaning pistons.. A belt driven intake manifold might help a bit.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Part of that build will be a custom profiled cam from Straub Technologies. along with a set of Morel Hydraulic lifters

A straub cam is NOT the way to do anything with a marine engine except create reversion.
Morel lifters, I'd suggest you do some homework. Maybe 5 years ago they were ok, but certainly not today. Look into Johnson or anyone but Morel
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (06-23-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

My advise to you is to Immediately stop drinking the Foxwell Koolaid. That is a no win situation and will cost you big money in the end. It sure has me. 2) Stop bad mouthing someone or something you obviously know nothing about 3) forget you ever saw this or any of my other posts because people such as yourself will not receive one second of my attention or time.
Foxwell koolaid?? LMAO. search OSO for that. trust me, no one from SB on down is drinking anything from him. And the truest thing you said about straub is that he is a parts seller. Thats where it ends. He can talk the talk, but he can't walk the walk. Buy from him if you want but don't take recommendations from him.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (06-23-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 07:07 AM
Registered

Let me fill you in since it appears that when it comes to Foxwell and or Straub. You are clueless. Foxwell has been booted from Dart Machine as well as AJPE. He was on his last leg in CA. as a self employed carpenter when Straub hired him. At Straub Tech. Foxwell had full use of all of Straubs tools in Straubs building making over $100K a year. Yet again Foxwell wore out his welcome because of his severe narcissistic issues and inability to keep his pie hole shut. He then went to work at the shop where Straub Tech dynoed Foxwells builds. Foxwell has now been shown the door by the salt of the earth peopleat that shop that considered Foxwell a friend and did him a favor by employing him after his boot from Straub Tech. As far as turning wrenches. Foxwell built one good engine for me and I had contracted him to build another. However Foxwell wanted to dictate my build as to show up or out do another builder Rick Jones located in Colorado. I did not want another race engine. I wanted a pump gas friendly street engine for my factory AC street car. Foxwell proceeded to hit water while he was cutting the exhaust valves for larger valves. Instead of telling me about his mistake. He pressed hardened seats in to the exhaust side of the heads to cover up what he had already done and causing further damaging the heads by cracking what he had already destroyed when he had hit water. Foxwell charged me full price for the work he had done to the heads. plus $2500 to install the crank and pistons in to my block. He then ran everything through his current employer so he would not be liable. Once I took everything to BES to be looked over. Tony knew immediately the heads were junk and recommended that they be water tested. Both of which failed. When I contacted Foxwell. He became incensed and refused to stand behind his work. Foxwell and I were what I thought were friends. I stood up for him time and again and then he showed his true colors. I have sense found out the whole and true story of why Foxwell was booted from Straub Tech. For the very same reason he was booted from Dart Machinery, AJPE, Straub Tech and Performance Automotive and Machine, and exactly why this so called good wrench is now reduced to doing menial work from the basement of a house that will more than likely be foreclosed on. Foxwell is a Narcissist, and a compulsive liar. He shined me on for 2 years until I found out the truth. Something it appears that you haven't found out yet. I will now ask the Admin to remove this thread as it has been ruined and no longer needs to take up the space and wasted the bandwidth you and your two cohorts caused it to be.

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-20-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:23 AM
SB
Registered

You actually caused this thread mess. You got emotional.
Most of us here know Foxwell is a douche. Brutal one at that. I never said he was a good wrench. You made that up.

You’re on Straub medication. We get it. Sorry.

There’s a reason both where banned from here years ago.

Let’s move on.

What cam is in the motor now ? So we know exactly what you currently have for an engine and power and rpm range.

Last edited by SB; 06-20-2022 at 07:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
articfriends (06-23-2022), Ryan00TJ (06-20-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.