1995 22' prop trials >

1995 22' prop trials

Notices

1995 22' prop trials

Old 08-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Max Velocity, I have a 1985 22' Velocity with a 1999 Pro Max 300 motor on it. This Tuesday my son and I ran 82 Mph at 6000 Rpms. We were using our 26"Merc chopper modified by DAH propellers. I agree with what you are saying about the 3 blades being the fastest,plus they accelerate fast. The key to making a 22' Velocity fly is to lift the front just enough and ride the boat on about the last 18" of the pad. Tuesday when I ran 82 on Gps,the lake had a ripple at best ,we were hoping for about a one foot chop,I know I could have gotten about 84 had it been choppy. unless you have tons of horsepower ,26" and 27" props seem to be about an all around prop. Just our Thoughts. Frank
Old 08-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally posted by Mad Hatter
Do you have a number for Mike?
407 568 5506

www.propellerservice.com
Old 08-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Mad Hatter

Thanx.

I tried a labbed mirage plus 29+ this friday and it was way to much prop. Boat handled like crap and could only muster 75 mph.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:19 AM
Mad Hatter

Well now I tried a 27 three blade. Get this, I didn't have to move the wheel at all to keep it on the pad! I could have taken my hands off the wheel if I dared! I could only get 80.0 on GPS though. A little strange cause this was only .9 mph faster than the 25 3 blade???? I'm telling you guys, if you have a 4 blade, try running a 3 blade.

Old 09-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Smile

Mad Hatter - I'm intriqued with your 3 blade experience. I have a '96 22 Velocity with a 454 that was warmed up by Tyler Crockett and I have only ever tried 4 blade props. My peak HP is now at 5400 rpm so that's my target for propping. I've tried three Hydromotives, with and without the diffuser ring for a better hole shot at 25, 26 and 27 pitch. Didn't like the handling of the boat as well as the Bravo 1 4 blade. I have two 26" Bravo 1's that have been labbed and both allow me to turn 5400 rpm. My best this summer was 80.7 on GPS. If the 3 blade Mirage Plus is as good or better handling, and faster, I'd like to try one. How's the hole shot? What do you believe the best pitch would be?
Old 09-17-2003, 07:31 AM
Mad Hatter

Wow, 80.7? Thats like my personal best! We will be very similar! Ok well so far the only blade that is giving me speed and allowing me to "stay on the pad" is a 27 mirage. The problem is I'm still hitting the rev limiter with it. So after I buy it from the guy that let me use it, I'm going to have it labbed to a 28. If you're getting the same speeds I am, I would strongly suggest the 27 mirage labbed to 28. I get the same holeshot as with my 27 hydro 4 blade. What prop did you get the 80.7 with? I was hitting 5450 with the 27 3 blade.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I ran 80.7 with the 26" Bravo 1 4-blade at 5375 rpm (as best I could read the Faria tach).

I don't know how the Bravo 1 compares with a Mirage Plus as far as pitch and rpm. What I mean is, I know that a Bravo 1 will allow the engine to run a higher rpm than a similarly pitched Hydromotive because the Bravo 1 acts like it has slightly less pitch. Therefore, I don't know if a 25" or 27" Mirage Plus would give me the desired target rpm. Based on your experience, it's possible that the 27" would be fine. I'd love to experiment, but I was planning on winterizing the boat this weekend.

I posed the three-blade question to both Jim at Modern Marine (from whom the boat was purchased) and I even had the good fortune to have Kenny at Velocity put me on the phone with Steve Stepp. Their responses were very similar regarding overall performance favoring the 4-blade, with the possibility of a higher top speed but increased blowout and less efficient planing with the 3-blade. I also learned I'm losing a couple mph with my windshield and flared "windaways". Also, I have a nose cone which may be unnecessary at my speeds and may be scrubbing a bit of top end off as well.

Are you happy with the takeoff with the 3-blade?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:18 PM
Mad Hatter

Yes, I am. It takes a bit to get used to it though cause the R's jump real quick as soon as it flattens out. I can actually feel "the pad" now. The only thing is, the 3 blade really suck in the rough stuff. 1-2's are fine, 3-4's your wishin you had a 4 blade on. So I might just keep my 4 blade in the boat for days when it gets rough.

So they told you a nose cone would hurt top speed? I have a poorly done nose cone, I'm probably really hurt'n it.

Did you winterize your boat yet?

Old 09-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Mad Hatter

Actually, I would really like a ride in your boat just to see if it handles the same way. Maybe we could meet up beforeyou winterize your boat if you haven't done it already?

Old 09-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Registered

Default Hey Max V

Sorry for jumpin on this post but you had said you run with a "Wette Vette". I believe that is what my boat was called in another life. Did this guy ever have a 92 Tbred 26 with twin V8 Rude limited editions? I am trying to find some stuff out about this boat. THere couldn't have been more than a few ever rigged this way.

Thanks
Tony
Terminal Velocity

Quick Reply: 1995 22' prop trials

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.