Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
Areo Marine ?? >

Areo Marine ??

Notices

Areo Marine ??

Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Smarty they are asking $10,000. They sead they would let it go for $9,000. I think lower maybe. I was liking the idea that maybe I can run it a little this summer and really get into it in the winter. At this point I really only have around $10,000 for a running project. I know it will be hard to find. I'm willing to travel. Any out there???

Ok-OK Magnum or bust!!! LOL

Russ
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

As a offshore referee for 12 + years, I seen more blown Bravo's on race boat's, and even on my pace boat's. They seem to hold up ok on boat's with small block's, but big blocks ????????? There are guy's who can make them work but for how many $$$$$$$$ and on catamarans they break off. I have the paperwork from race's to prove that. If I was building a $$$$$$$$$$ new boat it would have a Merc VI . But I haven't won the lotto yet.
It better to have something you can afford then to buy what you cant afford. And remember it's all about having FUN !!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 252 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
As a offshore referee for 12 + years, I seen more blown Bravo's on race boat's, and even on my pace boat's. They seem to hold up ok on boat's with small block's, but big blocks ????????? There are guy's who can make them work but for how many $$$$$$$$ and on catamarans they break off. I have the paperwork from race's to prove that. If I was building a $$$$$$$$$$ new boat it would have a Merc VI . But I haven't won the lotto yet.
It better to have something you can afford then to buy what you cant afford. And remember it's all about having FUN !!!!!
Agreed. Bravos can and do fail.

We run Bravo's on a 34' Phantom (no failures yet, but the HP is under 500 at the propshaft, and at the cranshaft), and had TRS's on the Magnum, the TRS drives were original in 1974, the Magnum was twin BBC's (from 1988 to the present, and BBC's in the early 80's with the previous owner, my father bought the boat w/o power) that were 450HP to 475+ HP, and (I broke a propshaft) but to be fair the oldman (my father), went through the outdrives, he is a very good mechanic, were as I don't know sh*t on how to rebuild a drive.

That Stern Power Drive, if it is OK, would not fail with the motor that is in Aero boat now. I doubt that BBC makes over 400 hp the way it is, unless it has 11:1 pistons or greater, and I doubt that. Durablity won't be an issue, unless he wants 600 hp and above, and that cost $$$ too.

You are right, it is all about having fun, and regardless of the manufacturer of the drive, a boat in the garage in July is BS., I would want to be on the water, not wrenching on a busted drive.

PS - A correction: My father has corrected me, he did wipe out the lowers (on the TRS drives on the Magnum) on each drive once, he did rebuild the drives himself.

Last edited by Smarty; 03-30-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Smarty
Agreed. Bravos can and do fail.

We run Bravo's on a 34' Phantom (no failures yet, but the HP is under 500 at the propshaft, and at the cranshaft), and had TRS's on the Magnum, the TRS drives were original in 1974, the Magnum was twin BBC's (from 1988 to the present, and BBC's in the early 80's with the previous owner, my father bought the boat w/o power) that were 450HP to 475+ HP, and (I broke a propshaft) but to be fair the oldman (my father), went through the outdrives, he is a very good mechanic, were as I don't know sh*t on how to rebuild a drive.

That Stern Power Drive, if it is OK, would not fail with the motor that is in Aero boat now. I doubt that BBC makes over 400 hp the way it is, unless it has 11:1 pistons or greater, and I doubt that. Durablity won't be an issue, unless he wants 600 hp and above, and that cost $$$ too.

You are right, it is all about having fun, and regardless of the manufacturer of the drive, a boat in the garage in July is BS., I would want to be on the water, not wrenching on a busted drive.

PS - A correction: My father has corrected me, he did wipe out the lowers (on the TRS drives on the Magnum) on each drive once, he did rebuild the drives himself.
YOU GOT TO LOVE A GOOD MECHANIC !!! In the BILDGE IN JULY ISN'T ANY FUN !!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I, on the other hand enjoy being in the bilge................
It gives me something to due when everybody is hanging out...I take time check everything go through my valves when they are due, it really does not bother me when stuff breaks, it is the thrill of pushing something to its limits for me...........Plus i like beer so much i have a tendancy to get a little carried away if i am just standing on the beach with nothing to due and my wife gets tired of listening to me about boats..

link of the 540 with to big of a cam....

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=587907&t=9228
Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
I would not buy a boat in 2007 with that SSP drive on the transom, that's just me. I am a MerCruiser guy (Volvo 270/280's have their niche under 400 hp). A dealer/boat lot that is three miles down the road from where that Aero boat sits is selling Bravo's dirt cheap. Who would work on that Stern Power here in NJ if it needed work (the labor would be more than what the drive is worth)? Who could actually make it work right, and cost being an issue (repair/parts/resale). On a separate issue that drive is mounted way too deep on that boat.

I remember Roger Munn's boat and the drives, but Roger knows (and knew then) how to build stuff and make it work, that was a Volvo conversion to handle the BBC horsepower/torque. This Aero boat does not have a horspower issue by the looks of that motor and exhaust in the earlier post. Hey, the drive may work great, and may not need a thing, but if it did fail, WTF. I think $1500 to $2000 is what that boat is worth, on the high side as it sits in its present condition. Not worth the aggravation.
Hello
Roger had run The Stem Power SSPs for many years and I think his brother in law Gary's Magnum(Blue) had the Std Stem Power drives on it for years also, I can't remember either Magnum not running every weekend all summer long.
Roger had some nice running BBC in his and Gary had SBC in his at the time. I got all the trick Volve stuff off of their Magnums for mine.

Thank you
Jim
Old 03-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=nocigarette;2076229]I, on the other hand enjoy being in the bilge................
It gives me something to due when everybody is hanging out...I take time check everything go through my valves when they are due, it really does not bother me when stuff breaks, it is the thrill of pushing something to its limits for me...........Plus i like beer so much i have a tendancy to get a little carried away if i am just standing on the beach with nothing to due and my wife gets tired of listening to me about boats..

Mike things will change after the baby is onboard, you won't have as much free time. Michigans summer is at best only 17 weeks long, not enough time to enjoy a Mag on the water.
I wish I had your energy !!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts
i wish all people had my energy...................Mark i am so excited about this boat i cant sleep a wink.............Baby boy coming and a fresh mag cant wait for summer................
]

Does anyone know where i can get a lifline race vest for a infant..............................
Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mike let me put my water cop hat on , I have never seen a Lifeline for infants, that would be cool but ???? Get a good heads up infant vest thats Coast Guard approved. I did,, your son will really get to enjoy the water quickly, and that typ of vest makes it easy to hold onto him in the MAG !!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Reminds me of a couple of years ago, I had this old Mini-Hawk 13' offshore(Minature Apache) in the barn and an extra Merc 50HP, boat is only rated for 25HP, so my neighbor and I were bored one weekend and we pulled out the mini hawk, rigged it with the 50HP Merc, rubbed it out and detailed it, with the intention it was to be for my, at the time 4 1/2 year old daughter to use when she was ready for it. So now it is Sunday afternoon and we go for a test drive, The first clue of things to go bad that afternoon was that when we launched it, and it was sitting kinda of low in the rear due to the old 50HP Merc, now add the combined weight of my neighbor and I of 430lbs(boat rated for 250lbs) and it was taking on water thru the rear vents, So a little duct tape and full time bildge pump and all was well. We make it out of the channel and nail it, it won't get on plane, I tell my neighbor to get up and lean on the deck, it works, and we take off like a rocket, I have been racing offshore boats for quite sometime and have been scared a couple of times, but this was REALLY fast and REALLY out of controll scary, boat was derigged the next day. She started throttling in my 300HP 16' Donzi 2yrs ago and is a natural.
Attached Thumbnails Areo Marine ??-p1020662sm.jpg   Areo Marine ??-p1020663sm.jpg  

Quick Reply: Areo Marine ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.