Need Advise on Apache purchase >

Need Advise on Apache purchase

Notices

Need Advise on Apache purchase

Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody keeps banging technology into this conversation as well......when Apache was built it was the leader in new technology.....it used a proprietary 5 axis blend kevlar and vinylester resin when they were laid up with marine grade plywood bulkheads and transom the rest was a solid laminate boat......(later carbon fiber was added to the kevlar lay-up)

New boats use foam or balsa coring with vacuum bagging process and/or post cured epoxy lay/ups again see previous posts about Ferrari's

Enough said....you can make your choice from here!!!!!

1 thing I will tell you I haven't found a boat yet that matches the ride in the rough.....PERIOD!!!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sean stinson
Everybody keeps banging technology into this conversation as well......when Apache was built it was the leader in new technology.....it used a proprietary 5 axis blend kevlar and vinylester resin when they were laid up with marine grade plywood bulkheads and transom the rest was a solid laminate boat......(later carbon fiber was added to the kevlar lay-up)

New boats use foam or balsa coring with vacuum bagging process and/or post cured epoxy lay/ups again see previous posts about Ferrari's

Enough said....you can make your choice from here!!!!!

1 thing I will tell you I haven't found a boat yet that matches the ride in the rough.....PERIOD!!!!!
Yes, 5 axis was available (blended bi and tri... 090 plus 045... the combination gives an effective 5th axis at 37.5 degrees... ie 2 + 3) but that was by no means the standard. In 83 at Sonic we offered Bi-axial, but it was an upgrade. AND, in my opinion, it's the weight that makes an Apache ride so well. Just my 2 cents... but Steve would be the one who could give more tech info on the hx of laminations.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree Sean, there is nothing like the ride of an Apache, period
Old 08-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
I'm assuming that "back in the day" means mid 80's.
Everything is relative.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Yes, 5 axis was available (blended bi and tri... 090 plus 045... the combination gives an effective 5th axis at 37.5 degrees... ie 2 + 3) but that was by no means the standard. In 83 at Sonic we offered Bi-axial, but it was an upgrade. AND, in my opinion, it's the weight that makes an Apache ride so well. Just my 2 cents... but Steve would be the one who could give more tech info on the hx of laminations.
Apache's standard laminate was kevlar 5 axis weave....it was made specifically for Apache (so the story goes) by some company out of Louisiana I believe!!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say after owning quite a few boats kept dreaming of something else. Once you go Apache you dont go back. I dont dream or think much about owning something else. I dont spend time looking through classifies I dont collect boat sales info anymore.

Last edited by turbo2256b; 08-18-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

65K (maybe less) and you could have a fixer upper and build it the way you want it. Looks like it has some potential: http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35488-en.html

Jt
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cigarette38topgun
65K (maybe less) and you could have a fixer upper and build it the way you want it. Looks like it has some potential: http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35488-en.html

Jt
I'm surprised that one is still there as well. Brett let me crawl all over that one back in May. If I wasn't totally happy with my 36' I'd have that in my barn this winter.

As far as Sean's comment about the GTO vs the modern exotic ride that really is the best way to explain it. Our 36' isn't fast and even with upgrades will never be a triple digit boat, but cruising with friends down the main channel of LOTO on a busy saturday @ 55mph through the slop puts a smile on my face every time...
Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
As far as Sean's comment about the GTO vs the modern exotic ride that really is the best way to explain it. Our 36' isn't fast and even with upgrades will never be a triple digit boat, but cruising with friends down the main channel of LOTO on a busy saturday @ 55mph through the slop puts a smile on my face every time...
Agreed!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceans15
What are the prose & cons of purchasing the "No Reservation" Apache? Boat looks great and Sterling has a pair of 900's that would potentially provide adequate power. Any comments are appreciated. Owned a 30' Phantom so this is a major upgrade.
Last I knew NO RES had a pair of mild supercharged 572's in it built by Dave Wesseldyk of WESCO and Dave installed the engines. It also sounded as if the guy was very pleased with the reliability of the engines, but could not keep the Merc #3's from breaking (cannot remember if they were # 3's or 3A's). Anyway, why put more power in if the current drives cannot handle the current power it already has???

Also,....if you want to know a little secret....Dave of WESCO is A LOT more reasonably priced than Sterling and just as capable. He has built some truly wild stuff and it stays together!

When it comes to Big RELIABLE Power, in the past several years, I have seen A LOT of Offshore power boaters from Chicago make the trip with their stuff to Dave's shop when it needs to be done right. He's an extremely talented small town farm boy without the hype! Engines just keep showing up by 2's at his doorstep....even in this economy! Have Fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.