Looking for Old Open Class race boat >

Looking for Old Open Class race boat

Notices

Looking for Old Open Class race boat

Old 11-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Looking for Old Open Class race boat

Air dog and heatbuzz.....you certainly have enthusiasm. The name is not a problem as the sale documents limited me to a one year non compete clause and one year restriction of the name usage. As the sale was done in 1979, anytime after 1980 I was free to get back in the game.

My company is Banana Boat Co.......the company that bought the molds is called Banana Boat Ltd.....if you notice on all the shots posted of the old T shirts, the name is Banana Boat Co.......that company can start production any day I want it to.

What I purchased from Don Aronow, was the original 24 Cigarette molds and the line drawings for the 28SS and the 35 Mistress. He was going to make the 35 into a 37.5, which we all now know as the 38 Top Gun, and intended to sell the company, that was why he let me have the 28 and 35 drawings.

He did the same thing with Magnum before selling it, he made the 35 into a 38 and sold them for more money to build up the income of the business. Made it a bigger deal for the buyer.

His intention was to drop the 28 from the production line as he was going to use it as a 27 in his next company as a single engine model which he did.

So my choices are 24, 28 and 35 just from what I still have now. Of course I would still keep them simple and made to the same spec's that we made them in the old days, using modern technological advances in materials etc.

So boys, now that we have narrowed the field down to 3 choices, which is it?

C Sr.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to think that you would get the most customer base out of the 24 = 35 combo. That way you have an entry level and an upper level boat. But there is also the down side of more competition in the entry level sector. So you may have a safer bet with the two larger models but harder to get the clientel without an intro boat. Maybe build the 24 for a couple of years just to get the name out there agian and then go to a made to order basis for them. In this time you should be able to get the bigger boats nice and fine tuned and some of the entry level boaters will be ready for a little something more. Also I know you are a V-bottom guy, but what about an off shore cat design? In maybe the 21/24 and 24/28 sizes. Many people are using plugs of the skaters so I would got for a different design. But there are other nice old cats out there to use (maybe like the Alleycat or the Cobras). Being from the days when the cats came to the forfront you know there advantages in certian situations.

Wel I guess I've rambled enough so I'll go now.

Adam
Old 11-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Registered

Very thoughtful response Adam, that is how we we like to approach things, well thought out and work the ideas slowly and patiently.

When it finally comes out, it will be simple and the best than can be made, regardless of the size.

Thanks for your input.

C Sr.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Brand New Banana's?

Charlie Sr,

I can't tell you how nice it is to have you on OSO, for so many years I have felt like the only Banana boater on here, (except MrV8ob).

I really like hearing the history stuff.

As far as what size boat to build, one of my favorite quotes is "When you get to the party, don't forget to dance with the one that brought you there".

With that in mind, it would be a shame if you started building boats again and didn't offer the legendary 24 footer.

However, If I must only pick one, it would have to be a 28'.

My reasons are simple. You would sell more of them.

There are more options for a 28 on the race circuit and the general public would favor a 28 over a 24.

The SOB class is a great idea and I really hope to get involved and use it as a way for an unwealthy Banana head to get a start in racing, however, I am not sure as too how many people would go out and buy a brand new boat to enter a new class.

As for non-racing boaters, the 28 would offer a bigger cockpit and more cabin room with out making the jump to the mid thirty footers which would need a triple axle trailer and a maybe a dually pick-up truck.

Whatever you decide to build, can you put me on the top of the waiting list?

I do have one request. If you elect to install those giant headlights on the bow, like some of the Port Edgewood Banana's have I think I will buy a sailbote instead...
Old 11-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

Default 2005 Banana Boat

If you build the 24, would it have the deck that looks like mine, (35' cigarette flat deck style)? or would it have the original flying Mcarthy deck?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Registered

Question Beam question

My favorite thing about my boat is the wide, 8 foot beam.

Pepe and Jo's Pantera's and others like it have a 7 foot beam.

If you build a 28 would you stay with an 8 foot beam or go up to a 8.5 or 9?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Registered

I am currently construction a new dashboard that replaces the old one and a glove box for the co-pilot side...

Where do I send my resume to be part of the design team?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the input, we really appreciate your opinions. The 7 foot beam boats are faster in calm water as they have less boat to push through the water than an 8 foot beam. Guys like Pepe at Pantera always made a very good product and did the best they could with a narrow beam. Pepe was a great driver and he worked to keep that 24 going in big ocean waters.

Superboat out of Long Island was always a faster boat on calmer races, but in the old days we really got offshore and into some very big water, even if it was only sets of waves at a time. Now, that was what made the 8 foot beam boats work very well and gave us the confidence to keep the throttles forward and let the design of the boat work.

We will keep the same width for all three boats, 24, 28 and 35. They have proven themselves in many many offshore races all over the world, so why try to improve on what we all know works. How many of you would like to have your boat narrower in some of the rough water conditions you have been in?

The deck design will be similar to the base design of the old 28 SS....which is what I used for the design of the 24. There were a lot of people who could not afford the 28SS with twin sterndrives that were very happy with my single engine 24 that looked almost the same.

As a matter of fact, in 1978, I ran side by side with a guy in a brand new 28SS and he couldn't pull away from me in my 24. He didn't know how to trim the boat properly, so we just went down the bay together, he wasn't too happy.

My boats will be made to operate safely at speed in ocean type conditions. If you want to be the fastest guy at the marina or on the lake, you would be better off not buying one of these boats. If you want to run in the ocean with your family and know that you will be safe at speed, we will build the boat for you.

I'm off on a business trip for a few days, but please keep posting your comments and opinions we take them all into consideration. We know the cockpit is too small on the 24, we know the corners get stress cracks in the cockpits, we know people like to actually walk around the cockpit on a flat deck, we know we all like it as simple as possible.....but what other likes and dislikes do you have?

Thx
C. SR.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Re: Looking for Old Open Class race boat

On the ob version in you use a bracket and push the back seat, then use the same half hatch back at the transom for batteries, storage etc.on the 24 and 28 versions, actually offer ob's on all sizes.

There are some guys who want all the fancy bells and whistles like on those Bayliners oh I meant Baja's (whats the difference). But then you here stories all the time how guys take the fridge out and all that other stuff they don't use. I feel less frills and more quality in the construction. All that stuff does is jack the price up.

Big enough fuel tank or tanks but try to keep them out of the cabin, that little space you gain makes a difference especially on the flat deck. By the way that deck will always look the best. No potholes or headlights if someone wants the lights, they can put them in on there own. Maybe put the gauges up higher easier to see. Oh ya my wife says add a porta potty or else I cant have one.

Maybe a center consoled,cause hey they sell. Need to offer something for everyone. that doesn't mean you can't make the fastest, though-est CC out there.

Well thats enough from me.

Rick
Old 11-04-2004, 06:54 AM
Registered

Default Modern Day Banana

We shouldn't pick on Baja's or Bayliners, but I do agree with you on the no frills or better yet, simple frills.

From what I have learned about the McCarthys so far, I feel that they envision what I think is missing in the industry now adays.

One word - Classic

Much like Chris Craft did recently with returning to their age old heritage of classic boats.

I spent a lot of work making my boat all one color inside and out and removing protruding things to make it cleaner looking. Most of the time, people have now idea what kind of boat I have, but they say the same thing everytime, "wow, that boat has nice lines, or a nice profile".

When I dragged it up to winnipasake for the first time I have to admit, I didn't blend in with anybody.

Every performance boat had like 300 different color shemes and lightening bolts and paint splatters and lazer beams blah blah blah.

Not to pick on another manufaturer, but I just really like no nonsense.

Then again, I might be a total lunatic...

Quick Reply: Looking for Old Open Class race boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.