Notices

Sunkin Ejection Stories

Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBCATMATHEWS
nice Alec.....little obvious but nice.
I'm posting as me Bob.

GeeterB isnt me . I dont know the person at all.

Speedgirl can verify that.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos

What is the deal with refreshing? How does that raise the numbers? Does it look like more people are online at once?
If you mean "refresh" as a function of the board sortware, yes it will make it seem like more people are on the board. It is actually called "Session Timeout". I know this since I take care of the SCOPEinfo board and it uses the same software. Here is the description of the function: Session Timeout
This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before their login session expires. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.

The SCOPE board is set to 900 seconds (which is 15 minutes) and is the default setting on the software when it is installed. The other parameter that may affect things is the "Who's Online Refresh Period".
Who's Online Refresh Period
Time period in seconds to refresh the Who's Online display. The SCOPE board is set for 60 seconds.

Is there anyway for the average guy to see what the refresh time is so they can see if the numbers are legit?
Not that I am aware of. You need ADMIN rights to see and change these parameters.

I hope this helps some........

Hmm I have a question about this

why is it set to 15 minutes and 60 seconds respectivly?

why is it not set for real time ?? is there a reason for that ?? seems you leave it should say you are gone kind of like an IM screen

Why the delay ??
Old 05-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I have seen Alec (catastrophe) post screenshots from Alexa ( they track a website's traffic) a few times. How accurate are these numbers???
I advertise here on OSO and am very happy with my ROI. Of course, I was approached about advertising over there. My problem is that I have a VERY limited advertising budget that I need to get the most out of. I am a small business that has to watch what I spend constantly. I just can't throw away 2K a year for no return. I compared the traffic on both sites on Alexa and it was not even close. OSO had more than 100 times the traffic. Is that a fair assessment???
I was informed that the numbers on Alexa are way off. I don't know. I find it hard to believe that the other site has even come close to the traffic here. Am I correct? What is the deal with refreshing? How does that raise the numbers? Does it look like more people are online at once? Is there anyway for the average guy to see what the refresh time is so they can see if the numbers are legit?
As far as the rest of it, I won't comment on any of it. It doesn't look good for a business to get in the middle of it. I have read all of the threads and seen all of the posts and what was said (and more importantly, what was not). I have my opinion that I will keep to myself. I like everyone. I may not agree with what they do, but they have to live with it. I'm not here to judge them.
I declined to advertise over there at this moment for my reasons. I would like to see if some of them are correct. Some, I am confident that I am correct. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Eddie
I can talk to some of these points.

Advertisers

It was decided at the outset to not charge for banner advertising with the theory that SOS would prove itself with traffic and interesting features before asking for money.

The same attitude was taken for the Classified Section.
Until it was populated and proved to be helpful for its users it was free to use. The classifieds went nowhere.

We watched traffic increase every month. We tracked daily post counts and were pleased that they equalled other sites and on specific weekdays actually surpassed OSO.
( subsequent to all that I have learned that this is not the measure of an active site, but rather CLICK THROUGHS is how traffic is measured )
Nonetheless we were pleased but decided in OCT.09 that we would target Jan.1 2010 as the date to start charging.
That was the date that a new feature at SOS would be launched.
We termed it Serious 2.0., and it would include industry writers and blogging and a host of new items that would again improve traffic and the entertainment of the members.
Different boardmember volunteers had different sections ( example-Calendars ) to work on and spent hours collecting info for it.

This feature required software changes to be done by someone who wasnt on the volunteer team and was the person who controlled our servers and the actual existence of SOS.

Chris told us that this person was working on it and would get us up and running this feature asap as far back as OCT.
This was the individual that Chris said was the major expense of the site. Serious 2.0 never happened.

We were never allowed to contact the person directly.

I did. In February I found who he was and called him.
When I asked how the project he was working on for Chris was coming along, he didnt know what I was talking about and said he wasnt working on anything.

You have read the rest.

TRAFFIC

SOS consistently enjoyed 700 - 900 posts on the busier days in the week. 2 of us tracked it constantly.

Tuesday ( 3 days ago ) SOS had 89 posts.

On some days when people have the time, it has been seen that flagwavers over there have actually posted as much as 132 times in one day.
That BS along with the stupidity of having the REFRESH clock set at what it is , is obviously to impress people like yourself that may want to advertise on a falsely busy site.

This gives me the chance to point out the resistence onhere to completely drop this whole subject.

Subsequent to the revelations about certain topics here Chris Sunkin has been very actively approaching advertisers despite the fact that Serious 2.0 never happened.

To accept a 3000.00 check for an annual banner ad you have to make sure you can deliver for a year. If you cant deliver or even exist you can expect that the advertiser will be asking for his money back for the portion of the period that he received no value or exposure.

Dozens of potential advertisers have told individuals involved in this topic that they were just about to send Chris Sunkin money, but because they read this information on here they declined.
A very major advertiser approached one of the posters on here just 3 days ago and said they hadnt heard any of this and luckily were warned by friends to contact people as they were also about to forward money.

12 month ad contracts involve trust funds. At the 3 month mark only 25% of that money has been earned and the rest better be available to be returned if need be.

Given the current circumstances you have to have some nerve asking for financial support.

The flagwavers are obvious on here so you might want to approach one of them to confirm that this post is accurate.
Be careful who you ask because a couple of them that still support the site did absolutely NOTHING during their tenure.

Hope that clears up some of your queries.

Last edited by Catastrophe; 05-27-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I have seen Alec (catastrophe) post screen shots from Alexa ( they track a website's traffic) a few times. How accurate are these numbers???
I advertise here on OSO and am very happy with my ROI. Of course, I was approached about advertising over there. My problem is that I have a VERY limited advertising budget that I need to get the most out of. I am a small business that has to watch what I spend constantly. I just can't throw away 2K a year for no return. I compared the traffic on both sites on Alexa and it was not even close. OSO had more than 100 times the traffic. Is that a fair assessment???
I was informed that the numbers on Alexa are way off. I don't know. I find it hard to believe that the other site has even come close to the traffic here. Am I correct? What is the deal with refreshing? How does that raise the numbers? Does it look like more people are online at once? Is there anyway for the average guy to see what the refresh time is so they can see if the numbers are legit?
As far as the rest of it, I won't comment on any of it. It doesn't look good for a business to get in the middle of it. I have read all of the threads and seen all of the posts and what was said (and more importantly, what was not). I have my opinion that I will keep to myself. I like everyone. I may not agree with what they do, but they have to live with it. I'm not here to judge them.
I declined to advertise over there at this moment for my reasons. I would like to see if some of them are correct. Some, I am confident that I am correct. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Eddie
Understood, and like any business when you talk with people you should ask them how they heard of you. The point we have been making all along that certain people wont seem to grasp is that the people and places that you are seen is how you will be judged.

Facts are as follows;

1. Chris sunkin has fabricated his boats and his life to fit his agenda to make him self a hero in an offshore community, some people have asked me about the life comment well that is pretty simple, if you make up a boating or trailering situation that never happened you are altering the details of your life to make it more dramatic.

2. By doing so, he used many good people and their contacts to try to elevate his personna to said status.

3. He has absconded with money from not one, but 2 charity events. People have also refuted the amount and the intent. To me, no matter what adjective you put in front of the word theif or liar, it still shows the person is a lair and theif. not so hard to figure out.

4. His site may always be around, as I have stated before there are many smaller sites, that have a gathering and everyone will feel comfortable where they are. To me the content of that site is a copy from here but only in cartoon, every thread gets hijacked with the talks of animals and anal sex with members, the 3 mods that left were bringing that under control, but they are gone.

4. Just in my opinion and I have said it before, I cant tell people where to post or add content, but anyone that supports that site monetarily or with content will get no business from me. Because simply in my eyes, for everyone that knows and continues to go there they are in effect saying they choose to hang around liars and it's OK. I'm not talking top speed liars and bar kidding, I am speaking of deep down pathological mental institution lies.

5. Alexa is the industry standard, when i used to have my company name and logo hyper linked in my signature, I averaged over 3000 hits per month just from oso, google analytic can verify this as well. The return of many people from over there is overwhelming, but recently in the past 5 months new names with paid memberships are showing up daily here on OSO, Heather and I spoke of this even before the Sunkin crap came to the top.

If you were to ask me, a fellow business owner, your best ROI is right here where people that know you and can search a post history is your best money spent.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 05-27-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know Alec...and I don't know Bobcat...and I don't know Chris Sunkin.
But.....why is my question so difficult to answer???
Obvious as in.....if answered it will either begin a credibility repair job...or prove that the foundation of a company was built on something that never existed. Hyperbaja sold a fake rolex on here...got busted...admitted it....I've been lurking around here since 2001 I think...been a member since 2005ish? Own a 25 Checkmate..Live in St Louis region of Missouri...And yes I live in the Show-Me state!
Show me the pics of these boats with him on them, and his friends and maybe some hot chicks in compromising positions too
This guy either sold a line of BS a mile long, or he really has owned all the things he said he did....and done all the things he's done....easy to prove.
Again....did he own the things he said he owned.....do the things he said he's done?
Is that so hard to answer???
Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I only joined that site after joining here and reading these threads.

I hear what people are saying about "refresh" rates etc.

But I do have a question...when you look on a thread....and it says "x views" can that be manipulated apart from the obvious ways of constantly clicking on there?

Because, I will say that if you look at some of the comparative threads they seem to be attracting similar views on the two sites.

Anyway ladies....carry on
Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatlessatm
I only joined that site after joining here and reading these threads.

I hear what people are saying about "refresh" rates etc.

But I do have a question...when you look on a thread....and it says "x views" can that be manipulated apart from the obvious ways of constantly clicking on there?

Because, I will say that if you look at some of the comparative threads they seem to be attracting similar views on the two sites.

Anyway ladies....carry on
It would certainly be easy enough to run a macro to "click" a thread repeatedly. But in order to know the real numbers you would have to find a thread started on the same day by the same person and track them that way. For instance, some of Steve1's threads have been there a lot longer than here, so clicks would be higher. In KW last year I was told by a sponsor that there were about 4 times the clicks on one of his threads here as there were there, but the questions asked over there were more informed and pointed, which is exactly what we were working for.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Registered

5/26 7:45am --> 5/27 7:26am

OSO: 67 new threads ; 909 posts
SOS: 6 new threads ; 295 posts

This is a current example of activity.

To any advertiser.

These numbers are jaundiced in a number of ways.

SOS has a number of posters with 20 plus posts each .
OSO numbers include the numerous posts on this thread which admittedly are not boat related topics.

When the season starts up at races and other events you will see significant activity in the discussion areas that include the pic guys and all their efforts.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Hmm I have a question about this

why is it set to 15 minutes and 60 seconds respectivly?

why is it not set for real time ?? is there a reason for that ?? seems you leave it should say you are gone kind of like an IM screen

Why the delay ??

Thanks for the question. There are two reasons.

Session Timeout: The key here is that this is when the board will consider you "inactive" meaning that you left the room, went to go take a crap, drove to the store. You have not clicked on anything.......and after this period you are "inactive". You have to have a reasonable time here since some people are slow readers. It normally shouldn't take more that 15 minutes to read an entire page and not click on anything.

Who's Online Refresh Period:
I imagine this is more of a board performance issue than anything. Refreshing the list of "who is online" every 60 seconds sems reasonable to me. This means that every 60 seconds the sofware on the server executes this function and checks the SLQ database to see who hasn't timed out. Who needs to know this more than once a minute?

One more point.....Internet webcrawlers and search engines are constantly accessing websites gathering posts and information. That is what they do. They also show up as "guests" on the message board since they are not members but are accessing (viewing) the information so that when you and Google "Chris Sunkin", the latest and greatest will pops up. This "Session Timeout" parameter also applies to "guests".
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a perfect example of a website with the Session Timeout being set for many THOUSANDS of seconds. Most of these users (and guests) are not on the SOS site at this time, but may have been on over the last day or so?

Currently Active Users: 291 (181 members and 110 guests)

Chris, 24ol4now , 24rocket , 2biguns , 42JOHNNY , 44MTI , 4g63 Steve , 95south , ApachePete , ar15meister , AugiePensa , Awaken , baldtires , Big Time , BillR , blackwidow , Boatally Insane , boatme , Bobcat , boomer35 , Boss460 , Brad , BRAD SCHOENWALD , BRD , bret , BRIAN73 , Bud Weisner , BUIZILLA , bulletbob , Buoy , Caincando1 , capthump1 , CDOWNS , Check300 , chewiekw , chrisk , Cigarette/TS , clambake7 , clayinaustin , Compensation , Condor , convincer253 , cowisl , Crash-Box , C_Spray , dabomb6638 , dahzone1 , DAREDEVIL , dd24skater , Delta5 , DKwestern , dmartiniup , DoubleDown , Doug1 , DrGaryDC , drpete3 , ds01 , Ebay Ed , eightsecmopar , Engreps , excavator , fbc25el , Flying Dutchman , FormulaMatt , Fountain38SC , Frequency , fstct , gatorone , GENERAL LEE , gofish7070 , GRH , gripit , Griswald , Hard Charger , Havasu Hangin' , hjarrett , Hollowpoint , hotseeter , htrdlncn , ICDEDPPL , Indy , insanity , Jeffro , Jersey Girl , jetmech , jhenrie , Jim Dyke , JO - PANTERABOAT , JohnnyZ , JOLLEY , jrz , jshimes00 , kerigoff , Kevin Schulte , Knot 4 Me , Ktron , LaughingCat , Lee , Liquid Fix , liquordistributor , lohring , LOUIE7171 , lowblue320 , lucky strike , lucy , MacGyver , Magic Medicine , Maritime_eng , merlin , Mike A. , Mike Bontoft , MOBILEMERCMAN , Ms PatriYacht , Nevr2nd , NNRT , Nordicflame , nthdegree , offshoremikey , on the wick , one , PatriYacht , Perlmudder , Pete B , PlumCrazy , PokerRunStu2000 , POWERPLAY33 , Pro1 , purrfection , redhotsommer , Rich , Richard Crainium , Rick G , Rocketman , Roger 1 , Ron P , rschap1 , Ryan Beckley , sab79 , Salesmanship , sbracing , scottc , Sean H , searaycer , sensay00 , shifter , Sick Sting , SKATIN , smittydog2 , spiker , stevesxm , summer heat , SVL 21 , SVL66 , sy goldberg , Sydwayz , thlwl , ThrottleUp Props , ThruHull , tiderunner , topgunkid , tstuck , tunnelvision69 , twainscott , txriverrat2001 , Uncle Dave , viperfitness1 , vortex5021 , Wahoo 214 , waterbum , waterdogs , WhataConcept , whataworld51 , Whoz Your Daddy , WMF , Wreckdoctor , Wrinkleface , Xray50 , Xtreme Air , yesrej

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.