8 Rescused from Cedar Point Boat Crash >

8 Rescused from Cedar Point Boat Crash

Notices

8 Rescused from Cedar Point Boat Crash

Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 Rescused from Cedar Point Boat Crash

SANDUSKY -- Two people were critically injured and five others were tranported after their boat hit the breakwall in the Sandusky Bay Tuesday night.
Authorities say a call came in just after 10:30 p.m.

The 30 foot pleasure vessel, called the Bare Necessities, struck the breakwall near Cedar Point on the east side of the channel entrance.

The Coast Guard, Sandusky Fire Department and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources were all on scene and assisted in rescuing the eight passengers on board.

Two of the victims were seriously injured and air-lifted to a hospital in Toledo. Five others were taken to Firelands Hospital in Sandusky.

The operator of the vessel refused treatment and was being questioned by ODNR.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I was there last weekend. There were a lot of go fast boats/ performance cruisers on Lake Erie/ in Marinas. Cedar Point is an insane roller coaster park in a really nice spot.

Met a guy at the dock with a Fountain 48 Express that was really cool. He listed his 47 here on OSO last week after I told him this would be the place to sell his other boat.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered

Cedar Point is an awesome amusement park! It's a great area to boat at.

It was foggy last night, at least off of Fairport Harbor entrance. Not sure if this played a part in anything last night or not. If it was foggy, who in their right mind would be going fast anyway?

I guess two people are in pretty bad shape. Let's pray they'll be ok.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I was there last weekend. There were a lot of go fast boats/ performance cruisers on Lake Erie/ in Marinas. Cedar Point is an insane roller coaster park in a really nice spot.

Met a guy at the dock with a Fountain 48 Express that was really cool. He listed his 47 here on OSO last week after I told him this would be the place to sell his other boat.
I saw what looked like the express cruiser at the guest docks. You walked right by my boat on pier 8 one of the two on hydrohoists.

The CP break wall gets hit about two times a season would be nice if they could improve the lighting
Old 07-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stole this from THRILLSEEKERS site Islandpirates.net
The boat was a charter with a captain
http://www.sanduskyregister.com/
Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

here's his charter site. I like the "she's safe" quote.

http://www.bayernecessities.com/wst_page6.html
Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

Hope everyone ends up O.K.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott
I saw what looked like the express cruiser at the guest docks. You walked right by my boat on pier 8 one of the two on hydrohoists.

The CP break wall gets hit about two times a season would be nice if they could improve the lighting

I agree....that lighting out there sucks!

My prayers are with the injured and their families.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Registered

A guy from my hometown was injured in the wreck. I was reading the article this morning in the local news paper.

Findlay man among 8 hurt in Lake Erie boat accident

SANDUSKY -- A Findlay man was among eight people hurt Tuesday night when a boat carrying a group that had been filming a fishing show for the Outdoor Channel hit a breakwall near Cedar Point amusement park.

John McDow of Findlay was reported in serious condition Wednesday night in St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center, Toledo.

Also injured were Roger Raglin, host of the fishing and hunting show Roger Raglin Outdoors, his wife Darlene, their son Joshua, a daughter Raquell, all of Coweta, Okla.; the driver of the boat, Ted Bayer of Liberty Center; and Samuel and James Wiley, both of Athens, W.Va.

According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Watercraft Division, both McDow and James Wiley were taken to the Toledo hospital by air ambulance. Wiley was reported in stable condition Wednesday.

The others were taken to Firelands Hospital in Sandusky, where they were treated and released, according to watercraft spokesman John Wisse.

None of the injuries appeared to be life threatening, said U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Jonathan Hood.

The Division of Watercraft reported that the 33-foot powerboat was returning to Battery Park Marina at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday when it struck the breakwall. Bayer told investigators that he had been looking at his instrument gauges at the time of the crash, Wisse said.

Firefighters who arrived by boat at the accident noted that it was foggy on the water, and they had used radar to get there, said Lt. Gary Zakrajsek of the Sandusky Fire Department.

Two people were thrown from the boat and one ended up on the rocks, he said.

“He had no idea how he got on the rocks or why he was out of the boat,” Zakrajsek said.

Raglin owns BKS Productions. He was in Ohio filming for a show about fishing on Lake Erie, which is set to be aired in September, according to his Web site. His company has produced dozens of videos about the outdoors.

The Division of Watercraft reported that alcohol was not a factor and that none of the passengers was wearing a life jacket. The agency expects to conclude its investigation of the accident within several days.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.