Top Gun 38 weight and speed >

Top Gun 38 weight and speed

Notices

Top Gun 38 weight and speed

Old 09-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Top Gun 38 weight and speed

Here are a couple more pic's. Do you boat in Switzerland? Are you still boating or is your season over?
I lived in Duessedorf Germany years ago. Switzerland was my favorite place to ski.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails Top Gun 38 weight and speed-cig-back4.jpg   Top Gun 38 weight and speed-98-cigarette-tg7.jpg  
Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonypo8
If it helps I have a 98 t/g with mercury 500's and I top out at about 71 with two people low on fuel.

Yep, that helps, see ya on the water this weekend

Wild
Old 09-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
Yep, that helps, see ya on the water this weekend

Wild

sup homey what's going on ....hope all is well...can't wait to party in KW

Mike
Old 09-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawkmeister38
Daniel,
My TG is a 1998 Kevlar, half cabin, around 850hp, Imco 2" shorter lowers, 1.36 gear, 30 pitch lab props. Radar at 90mph at the LOTO Shootout last year. I keep the motors at low boost to help save the drives. I pick up 3-5mph in the rough water. I'm considering blueprinting and sanding the bottom. If I can give you any more info let me know. I'll try to attach a couple of pic's.

Dennis
Dennis, how have the shortys affected the ride at say 40 and 50? Considering going to imcos this winter and CPR has said start with 2 in shortys. I have heard they affect the ride however. Also I assume bravo 1's or do you have herrings?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hawkmeister38
Daniel,
My TG is a 1998 Kevlar, half cabin, around 850hp, Imco 2" shorter lowers, 1.36 gear, 30 pitch lab props. Radar at 90mph at the LOTO Shootout last year. I keep the motors at low boost to help save the drives. I pick up 3-5mph in the rough water. I'm considering blueprinting and sanding the bottom. If I can give you any more info let me know. I'll try to attach a couple of pic's.

Dennis
We ran the exact set up with 850hp 1.35ratio Max Machine Worx drives last summer during re rig on our 1997 Kevlar Covergirl.
With 2" shorties and 30p labbed Bravo I props turning out @ 5800rpms she was hard getting on plane , porpoised like flipper and only netted us 84 to 85gps.
Tres Martin suggested we add 2 1/2" spacers 1/2" deeper than stock which instantly planed her out netted us 87+ mph GPS and she also rode much much better, totally different boat and not near as much tab needed.
We then did a quick rear pad fill in of a hook and netted a best of 94.4 recall GPS and unless its flat water runs virtually tab free.
After exploding a few Max Machine Worx drives we are also running low boost and small carbs netting 85 GPS all day long.
All I can think of is that they changed something on the TopGun hull in 98 because our 97 didn't respond well at all to the 2" shorties.
Looks like you have yours running great, congrats and good luck with her!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Registered

Mike, Mine does fine with the 2" shorter Imco's. I have no problem getting on plane and really did not notice any change in the handling at any speed. At full speed (on flat water) I run the tabs all the way up and it does not porpoise. I am running Bravo 1's. I talked to Blades awhile back, he was suggesting trying 5-Blade's, he said I needed more transom lift. The downside is you have less slip, which would be harder on Bravo drives with the big motors.
WildWarrior- Sounds like the bottom work was well worth your while. A gain of over 5mph is excellent. Any tips on that project?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Daniel

Hi Dennis,
Yes, I boat in Switzerland on the lake lucerne. Our summer
is over but a few fall sunny days will coming I hope!
I tried also the 2" Imco shorties, but my Carbon Top Gun
with full cabin lost about 4 mph in top speed. It was not
possible to get the bow high enough for really good top speed.
Now I'm driving with stock Bravo length and stock X dim.
But wildwarriors buttom work (rear pad fill of a hook) is
maybe very interesting.

Wildwarrior, what do you do exactly? Phil from Lipship
had in 1998 an experimental TopGun with notched strakes.
Has anybody more detailed informations about this project?

Best wishes from Switzerland

Daniel

Old 09-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Registered

I believe what would tell us all alot is to determine how far below the transom our prop shaft is. Perhaps my X-Dimension is lower from factory since I am able to use the shorter lowers?? I have heard that Phil sets his boats up with a higher X?
What would be interesting is if each of us set our drives to where the prop shaft is parallel with the bottom of the boat. We then lay a straight edge on the bottom extending back along the drive and measure down to the prop shaft center. We need to determine exactly the distance from the bottom of the boat to the center of the prop shaft.
Obviously, the set up would be different based on half vs. full cabin. (500 lbs. in the nose)
According to Cigarette Kevlar boats are the same weight as a standard glass boat. I don't know about the Carbon weight?
I questioned Phil and Martin on how to set my boat up back when I started building this boat and they basically said to go buy a stepped hull and run with less power to achieve the speeds I am looking for. While it makes sense I enjoy giving the guys in their new boats a run for their money with my "old" straight bottom!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rudy our engine builder @ Diamond Marine Performance did nominal bottom work to the Gun in order to prove his hp figures.
We spent half the Summer changing pulleys ,props, drive heights etc with nominal mph gains until he played with the hull.
Tres Martin has a Guy that knows these bottoms and can blue print for real world gains.
My boat shop only did ours to prove a point and I am grateful for their efforts.
Even with a 8' straight edge I couldn't see the problem that my Riggers saw,they did a quick fix on her pad in one day, but said a blue print guy could have a field day straightening strakes etc.
Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Registered

I hear ya Dennis, that's what I want too. Don't know if you will get a chance to measure but I'd be real interested in where your prop shafts are.

Also your not running boxes correct? I was on the phone with Scott this morning talking about it and he mentioned you had thought about maybe an ITS box.

My center of gravity I am sure is farther forward because of the full cabin and with the extended sunpad the hatch is longer and the 3 man bolster about 16-18 inches forward the the engine firewall.

I do know i picked up about 3 mph by turning the props in rather than out but we run them out now for docking purpses. Should be in the low 700's easy next spring with the ingnition change and are going to mess with a set up for the shootout. Not that I have a chance to win anyting but I want to run next year and make it respectable.