"The Cigarette" >

"The Cigarette"

Notices

"The Cigarette"

Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
I read in the book Searace, back in 1972 "The Cigarette" had been shipped to Austrailia. Don had sold the boat to Val Carr, who at the time was Austrailia`s most famous ocean racer. Carr was a two-time national champion and at the time considered the father of the sport in his country.

According to the book,on March 26, 1972, Val and his brother Paul were killed during the "Schwepps 80" offshore race in Sydney, Austrailia. Val was a father of six young children under nine years. Paul left eight children from infants to 17.

The boat was later sold to auto dealer Arnold Glass, of Sydney. He had won the same race in it the following year and won five other races and the 1973 Austrailian championship.

The only other mention of the boat in this book was in 1976 it was now owned by another Austrailian, Norm Jenkin. It had placed third in the race mentined.

Who knows where it is today?

Kurt.
Gday there Kurt,

Im George Carr My Uncles where Val and Paul, I have some interesting old photos and Paper Clips from Val and Pauls Racing History.. I Believe the Boat caught fire and was saved.. However it may have been..

Feel free to contact me

Cheers
George
[email protected]