Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Where is the Betty Cook Scarab? >

Where is the Betty Cook Scarab?

Notices

Where is the Betty Cook Scarab?

Old 10-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Where is the Betty Cook Scarab?

Originally Posted by ducktail
Thank you for the reply. My guess is that a racer realises the hit on the spine/neck bones frequently.
The sale of new-vintage-t-shirts might be a good idea. Good luck.
Vincenzo Balestrieri was forced to retire from offshore racing because him doctor said that if he would be continue to racing he would be became paralyse. Over ten years of racing,thousands hits on him column vertebral have caused strong and dangerous crushing.
It's the same for who,in substantial corporeal weight,make jogging. Some doctors advise against jogging those people.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
1CE
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Re: Where is the Betty Cook Scarab?

Wish I new too. Anyways I also believe she was involved with Kamma Engineering of costa mesa calif. who produced an extremely efficient and reliable surface drive. I also believe that was a part of the connection to Archer Marine. Any added info or history greatly appreciated. j
Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Registered

Hi everyone, yes there were two Scarab Kaama's. The first was built in 1976 and may have been either hull 2 or 3. That one was easy to identify in photos as the race number was on the rear hatch's untill they made the team move it forward (the white back groung remained). The second boat was built for the worlds in 1979 (US1 in non skid on foredeck) and I understood it was the first one to be built of Kevlar. I was in that boat in 95 when we hit the bottom off Sand Key and broke up the front. At the time the boat was still black and white but named Revenge. After the accident it was repaired, painted pale yellow and called Soxcess after owner (Ron Hirshberg) Sox buisness. I worked for Betty and John for about 5 years, She was an awesome lady. There was no second with that girl!!!!
In 1980 we travelled with two boats, the scarab and a cat all painted the same (they both ran Michelob Light for a season but thats another story) We travelled with spare engines for both boats, they only ran once and then came out for rebuild! If we tested the other boat as well then all 4 motors came out for rebuild. I could tell stories for hours!!!!

Craig Archer
Old 10-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Registered

Welcome Craig!
We are waiting that you tell us others your memoirs.
However I think that the first Kaama Scarab was the first 38' builded by Scarab.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 10-10-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Registered

Cool shots, I rigged the Formula cat about December 1981 I think. As to the first Scarab, whilst Betty and John had alot to do with Larry Smith I still think there may have been an Outboard hull done first, either way Bettys was the first Race Boat. Top speed back then was about 86mph!!!! HP was about 580-600ish!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Registered

Kiwicraig, what do you know about the old Kaama Cigarette 36'?
It was one of the two Dante's Inferno of Tognoli.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Registered

Not much, it was part of the package that Paul Cook bought (he bought the whole race team as I remember), Paul was after the cat (Kudu), Betty then decided that she wanted to race as well! The boat was NOT called Kaama but she named it Mongoose. John Connor was a mechanic for the team but was also racing circuit tunnel boats, so got hired to run with Betty in the Cig. from there History was made as Crouse referred to in the other thread. Craig
Old 10-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kiwicraig
Not much, it was part of the package that Paul Cook bought (he bought the whole race team as I remember), Paul was after the cat (Kudu), Betty then decided that she wanted to race as well! The boat was NOT called Kaama but she named it Mongoose. John Connor was a mechanic for the team but was also racing circuit tunnel boats, so got hired to run with Betty in the Cig. from there History was made as Crouse referred to in the other thread. Craig
Many Thanks Craig,but Mongoose was a Bertram 31' not a Cig 36'. This one was the first boat named Kaama.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Registered

Yes, you are correct on the Bertram being Mongoose, I have a photo of that one somewhere. Sorry can not help on the Cig, except it would have been definantly ex Dante Inferno.
Betty did however later own
2 x Scarab 38
Cougar 38 cat
Formula 40 cat
Chris cat 30 Race/pleasure
31 Chriscraft Pleasure
302 Formula pleasure
That I remember!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered

Big Fleet for a Big Lady!
Many Thanks Craig to rember her!

Quick Reply: Where is the Betty Cook Scarab?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.