KL2's 1984 Chris Craft Stinger

Notices

KL2's 1984 Chris Craft Stinger

Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KL2
I got an update:

Changed exhaust, went on lake with new heat gun. Was running 197 and 212 then the hot side jumped to 296 and burned my new exhaust. Sooo, another boat guy suggested I may have a timing issue? Could it be a dry-rotted impeller? It starts off spewing water out of both exhausts, but quickly diminishes, and then burns my side. Had to be towed back by my buddy's chaparral. The side that is hot has the electronic ignition attached to the riser.

I like to post my issues because I know Cigarette Sam may encounter some of the same.
Send me an email at [email protected] would love to talk to you about the boat + engine
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 PM
KL2
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instagator: yes, that's what I was thinking as well. Going to pull it apart and see what's up. The guy who suggested the timing said that I can get this thing called petronics to get rid of the points? I've never heard of it. He also said I have a breakerless ignition so no points?

Sam: emailed...
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM
KL2
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, after a long couple busy weeks, got it figured out I think, bad impeller. When the thermostat opens, the water drops off and it can't make the run, thus burning my exhaust. I have good water coming out of both exhausts until it comes up to temperature.

Got it winterized this week too; except for the buddy who helped said he never fogs. This is new to me, we pulled four plugs and two pet cocks, is that all of them? There was also a hose that was located under the one pet cock that we opened that had lots of water, but none of the diagrams in the book seem to match my engine. I'm a gen 1 as far as I know.

Also, when I pulled the outdrive, I was disappointed. There was water in my u-joint bellow, yes, the same one that I struggled with all spring. Not a lot, about a cup, but I know this is bad. The gimble looks okay.

Sam; glad to hear that you may be up and going in the spring.