Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures) >

Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)

Notices

Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)

Old 03-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon. If you are using a sander, I have (2) suggestions). Try to find an in-line unit, so that you dont get the little swirl marks in it. (you will see that if you put a light primer coat on later to see any inperfections).......or, once you have most of the "stuff" off, get hold of a long/thin flexible block unit and work the boat in 45degree angles, BOTH ways. If you can avoid the up/down, left/right sanding it looks nicer in the end. (that way you will not get a pattern into the undercoat). I'm blanking-out on the name, you know, it takes those those 2x12" strips. That will give you a much flatter looking area....

.......you da man !!!

Bob
Old 03-02-2002, 11:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Man oh man you have been bussy!!! Looks good. Remember measure ten thousand times, CUT ONCE!!!!

I got sick of trying to fix the old motor so I bought a new/used motor from a guy on the board. I am ditching the closed cooling for now opting to try and get the bugs worked out with out it. The theory of it was great but it just did not happen to work 100%. So I will pull it off the other motor. SO all I have to do is put new belts on the new motor and drop it in. So the paint job is the big project for now.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Audio- Are you going to paint the graphics on? Why dont you just paint the whole boat white and use vinyl (sp) then if you get sick of it in a couple of years you can just tear it off and get something new, you could get that meteor graphic yet!! I have been going through the graphics thing with my boat too of late so when I was at the 1000 islands poker run this year I did a little survey and was surprised that vinyl was by far and away the most popular, of course the OL's and some of the Skaters (but not all) had nice airbrushed paint but excuse me I dont own a corperation. Im kind of stuck witha stock red stripe about 2in wide that runs down the length of the boat above the rubrail but otherwise the boat is now all white (it used to have a cowboy and indians scene painted down the WHOLE side of the boat!) I had that removed before I took delvery of the boat so now Im going to go with a Jazzed up version of the present day Talledaga graphic in vinyl, and in a couple of years I may change it, keep us posted with the pics......Doug
Old 03-03-2002, 12:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I was thinking Vinal but no mater what you do when you remove it it still leaves its mark. I actually really like the original sceem it is classic and lets face it I am not trying to pass this off as a new boat
Old 03-03-2002, 12:31 AM
FWK

Jon great project can't wait to see the finished project.
Forrest

Old 03-03-2002, 01:14 AM
Blueman

Kammacat I think you are talking about a air file or air board and to use it in a x x motion.
Audiofn I don't know if you thought about it but you could glass up your port holes and give it that updated look as you are doing the paint now.
Looks good, alot of work but it will pay off in the end.

Old 03-03-2002, 04:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon....Looks like this. If you run at long 45degree angles, especially on the large flat areas, you'll eliminate the waves a smaller pad/block will give)
Attached Thumbnails Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)-handfile-board.jpg  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Audiofn: You can get away with removing old vinly on white, Ive done a bunch of them,dark colors tend to leave a shadow but white will not. I always did the vinyl so i could change it every few years. Its like getting a new boat !!! Ive seen guys glass up the portholes b-4 they look great!!! Good luck whatever you decide, I will be glued to this thread for updates!!1
Old 03-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Jon,
You better get hot!!
From what I have been hearing, it looks like the Cape Cod race is going to happen.
Looks like you have this project well under way.
I tend to favor a base color and then graphics. You can get a little creative without breaking the bank!
I have been thinking of doing over my 28ft scarab next winter, and that is probably how I'll do it.
Check out a post in the Scarab owners section by "Hotboat",
he has posted a design by I think Ryan Beckley.
Noticed the Ford pu in the photos, looks just like a buddy of mines F-350 dually with the powerstroke diesel that he uses to pull his 24ft Formula with a 540 Merlin.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:48 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I keep going back and forth on the graphics. One day I am thinking stock with Red were the red used to be. This idea I like as it will be red underneath if I ever get a scratch, or white again with a strip like on Cig 1.s boat. I can not decide. I still have some time to figure it all out. This weekend I will have a big push to get it all stripped and ready to go. I think it would be cool to take out the windows but they have some nice funcionality to not only let light in but also to air on those hot summer nights when sleeping aboard.

Jon

Quick Reply: Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.