Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge? >

Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Notices

Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Brian, 16 in lt tires instead? What's the difference?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Sounds like your tires are on the small size for your load.
My trailer has 225/75-15's that are a D load rating. I had a few blowouts last year, but the tires were getting old and now they have all been replaced.
I have 225/75/R15. Goodyear Marathons - had blowouts, Went to Maxxis 225/75/R15, Load range E. No blowouts in 2 years. Towing over 15,000lbs on a tripple axle trailer. 1994 Cigarette TOP GUN - 38 feet.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Brian, 16 in lt tires instead? What's the difference?
There are hundreds of thread on here about the right tires for one's trailer.

I had good luck with my Goodyear Marathons on the trailer under my last boat, which I think were 15" tires.

Howerver, Myco and Manning put 16" LT tires on their trailers. Firestone Transforce HT has been on Myco for a while, and my 2005 Myco has Goodyear LT tires on it.

LT tires are a lot easier to come by when you have an issue when traveling, which is one reason I like them; and also easy to find in E load range.

The bigger the tire, the more girth it has to displace heat. Heat is the killer for tires.

Also, your tires might be less than 1 year old on your trailer since your new purchase. But when were they manufactured? I learned from another post on this site about the shelf life of tires. From that post, a tire is only good for about 7 years no matter if it's sitting on a shelf, or on the road, or mounted on a trailer sitting in a field. (By the way, long term parking on grass is also terrible for tires.)
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what brand of tires blew out? The reason I ask is that I had a pair of 15" Carlisle's blow out on mine a couple of years ago. They had less than 200 mikes on them, were correctly inflated and I didn't hit anything. One went a week after the other. After getting nothing from them on warranty, I went to Goodyear Marathons.

One other thing to check. There's wheel diameter - and then there's overall diameter. The smaller the overall diameter of the tire, the more revolutions per minute - and the more heat you generate. If you have room, you might consider going up in overall diameter in addition to wheel diameter and load rating.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
There are hundreds of thread on here about the right tires for one's trailer.

I had good luck with my Goodyear Marathons on the trailer under my last boat, which I think were 15" tires.

Howerver, Myco and Manning put 16" LT tires on their trailers. Firestone Transforce HT has been on Myco for a while, and my 2005 Myco has Goodyear LT tires on it.

LT tires are a lot easier to come by when you have an issue when traveling, which is one reason I like them; and also easy to find in E load range.

The bigger the tire, the more girth it has to displace heat. Heat is the killer for tires.

Also, your tires might be less than 1 year old on your trailer since your new purchase. But when were they manufactured? I learned from another post on this site about the shelf life of tires. From that post, a tire is only good for about 7 years no matter if it's sitting on a shelf, or on the road, or mounted on a trailer sitting in a field. (By the way, long term parking on grass is also terrible for tires.)
I have been around the site long enough trust me I did the research first. I know technology and thoughts change was my only reason for the new thread. I was also wondering if this sounded more like an axle or tire problem, tire load rating or tire diameter problem etc. This weekend probably caused me to have to cancel my next scheduled poker run at least.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

I'm in the small tire camp - 14" is pretty marginal for that load. the smaller tire spin faster & heat more. On my first boat, I had 14" tires. Two blowouts in the second year. Changed to 15" and ran five years with no issues. Current trailer has 16" tires (over rated for the load, even in my opinion, but that's not all bad), and four seasons no issues. I tow 700-1000 miles / season, mostly highway.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
load range E is what you need not D
Yup!!! We run 16's on our myco double pulling the same boat almost. No blowouts in 2 years knock on wood. Good thing too as my spare is locked to the trailer due to the nuts are seized... found that out this weekend when I went to tighten a loose nut...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered

Default Good Advice

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
Yup!!! We run 16's on our myco double pulling the same boat almost. No blowouts in 2 years knock on wood. Good thing too as my spare is locked to the trailer due to the nuts are seized... found that out this weekend when I went to tighten a loose nut...
Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll un-bolt my spare from my Myco trailer this weekend to make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

K how about numbe of lug nuts? I will need new rims also since min are 14's.... Is 5 lug ok or do I need to upgrade to 6 or 8? Any good websites for combos? I was looking on east marine earlier.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered

If I decided to sale what could I sell a used aluminum trailer with all new tires for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.