Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge? >

Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Notices

Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Like I said none of the tires were over a year old and maybe 5-700 miles on them. They are load rated c which is what was on there when I bought it. 205/75/14's.
I have a 32 Baja on a tri-axle with 225/75/15 Goodyear Marathons I used the first set for 6 years averaging appx 3,000 miles a year and never blew a tire. Purchased a new set of the same three years ago and still working great. Have you checked your alignment from axle to axle. Have seen some tandem and tri-axle wear out the shackle insulators and mess with the allignment.

Seems like 14" are to small for a 31' especially loaded with fuel and all your goods..
Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the supposed load capacity of your trailer? Even though it's a tri axle it sure sounds like they either under rated the axles as well as the tires. There's no way you should be haulin around a 31' boat on those little 14" "C" rated wheels and tires. Those tires are rated for a small car not a heavy trailer load. Bigger rims and tires, spin slower at highway speeds, larger diameter. You should be running a minimum 4500lb axles, 6 lug with 16" rims and "E" rated tires. Trailer tires, not car tires. Trailer tires are designed to handle greater side loads while turning etc.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

My 31 sits on a triple axle with 16 inch 8 lug nut rims with load e range tires. Never had a problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

Where is the date stamped on the tire?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Contacted loadmaster and sent them pics to get all specs and axle weight. How do you check axel alignment?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

trailer/boat weighs 9860lbs. Steel trailer/tandem 6000K axles (8 lug) on LT245/75-16. Some cheap tire brand. Boat lives on trailer except when used and I keep the tires out of the sun when parked. Tows great with zero issues so far. Grease seals are another issue.....
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Contacted loadmaster and sent them pics to get all specs and axle weight. How do you check axel alignment?
if you have 14'' tires with 10'' brakes which were stock then you have a 3500lb axle x 3 which gives you a 10500lb carrying weight..

I'm not a big fan of radial tires at all, use to work in a GY tire shop years age and always saw the GY marathons xplode,even after a years use and with the proper tire pressures....

I have the same 10500 lb weight rated trailer and my formula sits on it which is 9500 lbs + fuel..i dont run radial tires, i run bias ply, they seem to last a heck of allot longer then a radial..My ``8 donzi also sits on a tandem axle trailer with bias ply tires and those tires have over 10 years of use and never a issue..

I have a friend that has a 89 baje 23 dvx with a eagle trailer,same thing bias ply tire that date back to 1996 and no issues..

in my eyes i think the marathon tires are over rated, their has to be some kind of a design flaw because i keep seeing multi issues with them blowing out..

Im sticking to my bias ply tires when i replace them at half the cost and twice the life..

Also if you are thinking about switching to a 15'' tire and wheel make sure you have enough clearance between the tire and the fender..

Last edited by FIXX; 05-31-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

IMO, the most cost effective way to fix his issue is get some 5 lug wheels and 15" tires. E load would great, but D load should be fine.
His tire load capacity with the 205/75-14's is only 1760# per tire which equals 10560# total, so the tires always running close to max capacity.
Changing to a 225/75-15 have 2540# per tire and will increase the load capacity to over 15k. The tires will only be running at 60-70% of capacity.

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
I have 225/75/R15. Goodyear Marathons - had blowouts, Went to Maxxis 225/75/R15, Load range E. No blowouts in 2 years. Towing over 15,000lbs on a tripple axle trailer. 1994 Cigarette TOP GUN - 38 feet.
It does not surprise me that you had blow outs. The tires were maxed out on load capacity.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered

QUOTE=Fountain4402;3416680]one thing is to make sure you have grease on the bearings which i am sure you are already doing. But also hook your boat up and go to a level area and step back and see if its level, or measure the bottom of the frame at the tongue then in the back. IF your riding to high your putting more stress and heat on rear axle and if your to low your doing it to the front. The only reason for having multiple blow outs and if its not due to being to old is you have the wrong ratings in tires and need to go bigger and or your tires are getting to hott from what i mentioned above.[/QUOTE]

X2...Fountain4402 is right-on about keeping a level trailer. I had blow-outs on both front tires (tandem trailer) and the 1st thing my tire guy asked me was "is your trailer level? Turned out my trailer was low in front putting too much load on the front tires. I raised the hitch to level the trailer and haven't had any issues since. FuelinAround's load does seem to be too heavy for his tires, but level helped me...and the the boat pulls better/smoother too!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

This is JMO. I run 14" Carlise tires and have done so across the country from NH to FL and back to Havasu in 120* temps. Couple of thing to make certain before any long trip....lift the axle and check the bearings for play and then grease, check the brakes for them dragging, make 100% sure the tires are at max psi. One other thing to possibly consider is the axle alignment making sure they are square to the trailer frame. If any of these items isn't performing as it should then added heat is generated and it will cause failure.

I tend to disagree w/having to change out wheels/tires for your 31' boat. I don't have tire problems but have lost my fair share of wheel bearings. Again, JMO good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.