Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge? >

Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Notices

Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Ok so the first season I bought the boat I had a bad trailer weekend. Boat is a 31 sonic and trailer is an aluminum tri axle loadmaster. 2 seasons ago I replaced every bearing and hub on the entire boat and all the tires. The next season I reaplaced 4 tires through out the season due to blow outs. I have always run Goodyear Marathons.

This weekend headed to Kentucky Lake on the way down I blew one tire out. turned out the brake was locked up so I took it off and just ran that side without brakes. On the way back home I had another tiire come apart and went to a walmart to have it replaced. Tire still head decent amount of tread so it didnt make sense. Then while leaving walmart a car runs a light I lock up my brakes while turning left and the back tires hit the curb and blow 2 damn tires out. The car took off and we never got a plate number.

I am running 14in wheels and tires that came on it and we run all over the country. I wonder if maybe we need to upgrade wheel sizes or any other things we might look into.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Sounds like your tires are on the small size for your load.
My trailer has 225/75-15's that are a D load rating. I had a few blowouts last year, but the tires were getting old and now they have all been replaced.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Ok so the first season I bought the boat I had a bad trailer weekend. Boat is a 31 sonic and trailer is an aluminum tri axle loadmaster. 2 seasons ago I replaced every bearing and hub on the entire boat and all the tires. The next season I reaplaced 4 tires through out the season due to blow outs. I have always run Goodyear Marathons.

This weekend headed to Kentucky Lake on the way down I blew one tire out. turned out the brake was locked up so I took it off and just ran that side without brakes. On the way back home I had another tiire come apart and went to a walmart to have it replaced. Tire still head decent amount of tread so it didnt make sense. Then while leaving walmart a car runs a light I lock up my brakes while turning left and the back tires hit the curb and blow 2 damn tires out. The car took off and we never got a plate number.

I am running 14in wheels and tires that came on it and we run all over the country. I wonder if maybe we need to upgrade wheel sizes or any other things we might look into.
I have a freind that is a regional manager for Big O tires and he told me you should change trailer tires every 3 years no matter what. He said the tires start to weather cracking between the tread but may still look great with lots of tread on them. There is also a DOT tire date on the side wall so you can see when your tire was manufactured.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Good thread read

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...hat-tires.html

Good info here.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

Hey fuelin..we had a blow out too on the way to KY lake this weekend..your boat looked good sitting in the slip...I had the teal and white baja in the first slip next to the sunsation. I am always worried about blowing tires here lately..seems everytime we trailer, we blow a tire. I bring two spares now..I wish I would have upgraded to 15s when I bought new tires..
Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet-N-Wild
I have a freind that is a regional manager for Big O tires and he told me you should change trailer tires every 3 years no matter what. He said the tires start to weather cracking between the tread but may still look great with lots of tread on them. There is also a DOT tire date on the side wall so you can see when your tire was manufactured.
That's the problem, you never were out trailer tires. They have a date code on them, make sure you check that so you know when to replace.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
That's the problem, you never were out trailer tires. They have a date code on them, make sure you check that so you know when to replace.
Your right, I got a blow out last Nov coming back from Havasu and when we checked the tire date codes the tires were 5 years old. They were the same tires the trailer was bought with and they still looked great.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could see 1 blowout do to the tires age, but when you have sevaral as you did, I'd be leaning more of them being overloaded.

What are the ratings on the tires and also of the axles?

My tires are original from '03. Trailer gets towed once a yr, (zero last 2 yrs) I ain't changing tires every 3 yrs.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-31-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You need to upgrade to 16" wheels and 16" LT truck tires. It's a much better setup, and what comes on the big trailers. You can't have too much trailer tire. E-rated is the way to go. The bigger the wheel and the bigger the tire, the cooler they run. Air pressure is KEY.

Invest in a Laser Temp Gun. Inspect/compare your brakes/bearings/tires every fuel stop, and/or every 1-2 hours of towing. Anything that is an anomoly from the rest of the like components is about to be a problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Like I said none of the tires were over a year old and maybe 5-700 miles on them. They are load rated c which is what was on there when I bought it. 205/75/14's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.