Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
How can you tell what scored your cylinders? >

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

Notices

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Mcpro - I was always under the impression Pfaff knows his stuff. Or let me guess, he's older now and someone else is doing most of the work ?

So.....anyone running flat tappets use the Delphi or Johnson lifters that I believe still have the hardened bottoms ?

I bought some Delphi lifters about 6 yrs ago and they still had the good bottoms.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i would never put a flat tappet lifter in that engine but if going with hyd roller is not in the budget get the cam saver lifters from crower,use oil with a lot of zink,and add some zddp.make sure the engine stays at 2200 to 2400 rpm for the first 20 minutes.sorry to hear about the failure.

Last edited by mike tkach; 10-05-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a name for our new 12 step group. Blown Up Boats Anonymous, or B.U.B.A. Lol, I hope you get everything sorted out soon.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Registered

You may want new pistons regardless of boring. Look closely at the skirts and you will most likely see the metal that scored your cylinders embedded there. You won't want to transfer that into your refurbished cylinders.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I got milked for every single penny I had. So it is just going to have to sit all in one piece. I can't see taking it apart and having the part spread out all over the shop. Yeah Pistons maybe I hope not. How about the new 12-step program name could be "fcked over by a sh t head mechanic ' FOBASM anonymous
Old 10-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Registered

if the pistons are scared up they can be glass beaded and coated to repair....having a set done for our turbo car now..
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Thank you so much! You guys really helping the sitchy!! Now I am motivated to pull it apart! All I would need is pistons and cylinder clean up, and then bearings, then back together..
Also and it would be good because i took the intake off before the waterpump and it might have moisture in the block somewhere i don't see. Always take the waterpump off first or drain the block because the water in the intake galleys!
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Registered

Looks like the head gaskets sealed though.
Attached Thumbnails How can you tell what scored your cylinders?-photo.jpg  

Last edited by mcprodesign; 04-27-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know why anyone uses a flat tappet cam anymore. Its a crap shoot these days with those cams. I lost one years ago and it didn't do anything to the engine. ( except for the VERY fine metal in the oil ) the metal was so fine that it didn't even mark the bearings.
I flushed it out with diesel fuel , changed the oil filter a few times and flushed the oil cooler. ran it for the rest of the summer and then pulled it apart in the fall. NO damage at all. ( and yes I did break it in properly ) Pissed off the neighbor at the old house. So when I broke in the other engine I dragged the boat over to a local ramp in a commercial area. BOY did get some looks.
spend the $ for a roller cam and no need for break in.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 04-27-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I don't know why anyone uses a flat tappet cam anymore. Its a crap shoot these days with those cams. I lost one years ago and it didn't do anything to the engine. ( except for the VERY fine metal in the oil ) the metal was so fine that it didn't even mark the bearings.
I flushed it out with diesel fuel , changed the oil filter a few times and flushed the oil cooler. ran it for the rest of the summer and then pulled it apart in the fall. NO damage at all. ( and yes I did break it in properly ) Pissed off the neighbor at the old house. So when I broke in the other engine I dragged the boat over to a local ramp in a commercial area. BOY did get some looks.
spend the $ for a roller cam and no need for break in.
That's funny. Been there done that. People thought I was being a douche bag holding an engine with no mufflers at what they call "full out" for a half hour. In hindsite I'm afraid I would have to agree. Thank god for roller cams because I'm getting tired of moving...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.