Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
How can you tell what scored your cylinders? >

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

Notices

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,210 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
yea, its pretty much a kill setting for this motor. When refire it it will be there. Pfaff had it set at 8deg. !? Then they shut it off and could not turn the disrtib enough so they moved all the spark plug wires over 1 pin .(which turned out to be 40) Refired it, ruined the cam and sent me to the lake to run it for 45 min at 3000- 4000 rpms . On 7 cyl 😝 lol.
Can someone explain how the timing ruined the cam?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Only if they had to crank the schit out of it and it wouldn't fire...or the like.

IE: Not doing the flat tappet break in process correctly.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,210 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Only if they had to crank the schit out of it and it wouldn't fire...or the like.

IE: Not doing the flat tappet break in process correctly.
Oh, new engine flat tappet. I see now.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
WHY are they not fixing this problem?
Wreckin tha cam is one thing . Sending me to the lake w 7 cylinders and wreckin everything else terrible. And i dont have any money to throw at it once they take it apart and ask for more like they do . I have a 19 month old son now . And he can't go for boat rides because of it . If it were me i , i would stand behind the work . But i am honest and genuine
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

mcpro,several people including myself told you not to go with a flat tappet camshaft but you knew better and used it anyway.now you understand why we said to go with a roller instead of a flat tappet.when this engine gets done again are you going to use another flat tappet camshaft?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
mcpro,several people including myself told you not to go with a flat tappet camshaft but you knew better and used it anyway.now you understand why we said to go with a roller instead of a flat tappet.when this engine gets done again are you going to use another flat tappet camshaft?
Yes of course , i already have the cam , i have talked with crane and they have break in oil .mercury racing made thousands if these Motors. Like i said , rounding a cam off aint no Big deal . 5 gallons a deisel fuel flush in the valley and try it again. Then run it til dhe blows ( but it wont ). Been done before by people i know . But setting the timing at 40 and telling me to go to lake for 1 hour wrecked the whole motor. Compression check before breaking it in on the lake is the way to go.

The sticks were off a 1/4 inch at 3500 and Pfaff told me to adjust them the same 😁
Old 05-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Were you trying to do the cam break-in after the motor was installed in the boat? I would try to at least find a startup cart to run it on and break in the cam before even thinking about dropping it in the boat. Better yet, get it on a dyno. The dyno is money well spent, IMO. Not only do you have controlled conditions for your break-in, but you have some real world data to use to help get it dialed in to run in the boat. If you can find a shop who can dyno it fully dressed with wet exhaust, that is a bonus.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I was dead set on using a flat tappet I would just spend $1500 on a tool steel core. Then you never have to worry about the cam going bad. Everything else will be rotted away and still have a nice shiny cam... $1500 might sound over the top but it's a lot cheaper than rebuilding a motor and popping cams in and out.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
If I was dead set on using a flat tappet I would just spend $1500 on a tool steel core. Then you never have to worry about the cam going bad. Everything else will be rotted away and still have a nice shiny cam... $1500 might sound over the top but it's a lot cheaper than rebuilding a motor and popping cams in and out.
gosh i really apriciate the help, Mike also stated i could get some high end lifters as well. But honestly the thing ran for 10 years before water got in the exhaust and quenched the seat backin it in the water. I'm gonna make just like it was . Probly a 10 under crank and bigger pistons , but it will be just like new ! With better pistons. Pfaff racing engines couldn't do it. Does not mean it's impossible , just means they're crooks
Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
gosh i really apriciate the help, Mike also stated i could get some high end lifters as well. But honestly the thing ran for 10 years before water got in the exhaust and quenched the seat backin it in the water. I'm gonna make just like it was . Probly a 10 under crank and bigger pistons , but it will be just like new ! With better pistons. Pfaff racing engines couldn't do it. Does not mean it's impossible , just means they're crooks
the crower cam saver lifters i talked about sell for about 100 dollars.with today,s cam cores i cringe when someone insists on a flat tappet cam but the crower lifters give you better odds for a good outcome.if i do an engine and they insist on a flat tappet cam i make them sign a warning that i will not be responsable if it fails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.