looking for 15-20mph - re power >

looking for 15-20mph - re power

Notices

looking for 15-20mph - re power

Old 09-17-2015, 02:55 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
To add 15-20 mph you need to add roughly 250-300hp...
Come on man! I respectfully disagree.

Originally Posted by DBleil89
...you may be better to find a 21 - 22ft cobalt...
Perfect segue for my post.

Originally Posted by LTZCrew
...id love a cobalt just for there build quality, but they are a heavy boat...
Not entirely true. My model 233 is listed at 3800 lbs. I measured the hull at just under 21 ft. without the built in swim platform.
We are more similar than you may know.

LTZCrew - I say go for it. A stout 383, 400 SBC or a fire breathing LS would get you to your goal IMO. However you need to check
or declare a few things before you begin a project. These are:

1.) Bottom paint - If you have it you must remove it.

2.) Boat weight/wood rot/water retention - You must know the true weight then get rid of any rot/water logged foam/hidden water.
Four Winns is not known for perfectly sealed wood structure boats.

3.) Hull straightness - check for hook. This will be the number one speed killer besides a water logged boat.

4.) Bravo 3 - get rid of it. A small boat with a stout engine doesn't need it anyway. A Bravo 1 will increase your top end at the speeds
you are wanting to attain. A shorty LU will help even more. If you want significantly more than 400 HP then beefing up the Bravo 1 is essential.

5.) Remove weight wherever/whenever - Small boats respond favorably to weight reduction more so than large heavy boats.

6.) Don't do speed runs with fat chicks and two coolers full of beer.

My engine project consisted of swapping out a 7.4L MPI for a 502 MPI with Dana Marine exhaust(silent choice). I have done a few small
tweaks here and there and my boat got faster each time. The HP difference is only 105 per Mercury specs. Perhaps I am the exception to
the rule that Griff eluded to but I am now 18 MPH faster.

Good luck and don't let the naysayers dampen your spirit.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbkski

Not entirely true. My model 233 is listed at 3800 lbs. I measured the hull at just under 21 ft. without the built in swim platform.

LTZCrew - I say go for it. A stout 383, 400 SBC or a fire breathing LS would get you to your goal IMO. However you need to check

2.) Boat weight/wood rot/water retention - You must know the true weight then get rid of any rot/water logged foam/hidden water.

3.) Hull straightness - check for hook. This will be the number one speed killer besides a water logged boat.

4.) Bravo 3 - get rid of it. A small boat with a stout engine doesn't need it anyway. A Bravo 1 will increase your top end at the speeds
you are wanting to attain. A shorty LU will help even more. If you want significantly more than 400 HP then beefing up the Bravo 1 is essential.

5.) Remove weight wherever/whenever - Small boats respond favorably to weight reduction more so than large heavy boats.

My engine project consisted of swapping out a 7.4L MPI for a 502 MPI with Dana Marine exhaust(silent choice). I have done a few small
tweaks here and there and my boat got faster each time. The HP difference is only 105 per Mercury specs. Perhaps I am the exception to

could only agree to the above. gained a lot by removing my bottom paint, also I sold my old Century boat from the eighties after realizing I lost 10-15 mph min over a season purely due to water saturation of the hull over the season. now I trailer only for the same reason. Pantera 28 BTW.

I heard 15-17 hp per MPH increase for singles but someone correct me if im wrong. so don't think a SBC will do it unless you go whipple on a 383 maybe? Should bring you 550 hp reliable (somewhat). Thinking of putting whipples on my Reman Merc 383 MPI also but with twins the cost doubles obviously so not really in the mood just yet:-)...........
Old 09-17-2015, 03:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbkski

could only agree to the above. gained a lot by removing my bottom paint, also I sold my old Century boat from the eighties after realizing I lost 10-15 mph min over a season purely due to water saturation of the hull over the season. now I trailer only for the same reason. Pantera 28 BTW.

I heard 15-17 hp per MPH increase for singles but someone correct me if im wrong. so don't think a SBC will do it unless you go whipple on a 383 maybe? Should bring you 550 hp reliable (somewhat). Thinking of putting whipples on my Reman Merc 383 MPI also but with twins the cost doubles obviously so not really in the mood just yet:-)...........
Old 09-17-2015, 03:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Sounds like you're still keen to upgrade the Four Winns. Couple of last thoughts....

About 30 years ago I owned a Swiftcraft Stiletto 15' (in Australia) with an 85 hp and it ran 45 mph. I wanted more so I traded the 85 for a 150. Masses of power but from 50 up, the chine walking was out of control. After playing with height settings, props and very small tabs I came to the conclusion this hull was never designed to run above 50 and nothing I could do would get her there safely. Eventually traded the 150 back for another 85, sold the rig and bought something bigger.

Currently have a Fountain 34 cc and want a sports boat. Tried like crazy to sell it but the market where I live is not interested. Currently doing a refit to make her a sports/bow riding/runabout. It's a great boat with 280 hours and lived indoors all its life and labour here is about $8-$10 per day so I'm going to lose some money and refresh what I have. Not changing the power but I've removed the T-top, windscreen, radar and stuff, cut down the cabin height so weight will drop by around 200-250 pounds and wind resistance will also be considerably better. I'm not expecting much speed increase but obviously there will be something. I'm doing it because I'm bored with a boat that is actually a great boat, and I want a change. I've got decals organized and hopefully the new look will excite me again. I may start a small picture thread here on oso if members are interested.

If you're bored and want a change, try doing something to your FW. to change the look. Striping, upholstery but changing performance is a huge task. Have you got Captains Call/silent choice exhaust? That's always a nice option and won't damage resale opportunities. A small block can sound sweet.

If you can wait another month, I'll let you know if my boat remodeling has worked and got me excited again or if it's just been a total waste of money!!!

RR

RR this really sounds interesting:-) pictures and a thread please!!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be money ahead to heed these guys advice! In order to achieve your goal, you will dump a TON of money into a boat that A, was never designed to reach the speeds you are wanting. B, more than likely have a boat that is either dangerous or simply uncomfortable. C, with power comes stress, you'll likely break things that wouldn't normally break under stock conditions. D. All of the money you spend achieving your goal will actually diminish the value of the boat if you ever want to sell it. However, it is your boat, your money and your choice. Good luck sir!

I too was in your shoes several years ago. I had a Crownline 225 w/496 mag and thought I wanted to go faster! However, I realized that when it was aired out at around 65, it was a squirrely bordering on dangerous. I sold that boat, and got a boat that was DESIGNED to go fast, safely and comfortabley.

Last edited by CrownHawg; 09-17-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Has nothing to do with your boat but I had a 2001 VIP Vindicator "GO FAST STYLED" Boat. Not claiming that a Vindicator is a go fast boat. Anyway The 454mpi 330hp took a crap at 160 hrs. I always took good care of it but it was bought used with 12 hrs on it. Wanted to go faster so I dropped in a 496ho 425hp with 5 hrs on it. Changed the 21p mirage+ to a 24p bravo 4 blade. Got the 4 blade cheap is why I used it. Picked up a solid 10 mph on gps. 64.6mph in salt. If I had a labbed mirage+25p I think I could have found another 2-3 mph. So I had solid gains for my money. So it can be done.. Not sure you could get the same results but its your money to spend.That engine Blew up at 100 hrs. After 2 engines I figured out the internal exhaust flappers were gone and we sit at the beach with water slapping against the transom. It had external flappers but guess it was not enough. Gave up and bought a cruiser with a small block. We run the piss out of it. Probably has 500 hrs on it. Still runs perfect. Just takes longer to get to the Honey Hole...lol..
Chris
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

Duplicate post

Last edited by Blueabyss; 09-17-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Registered

Nice Boat Hawg. Thats Big Pimpin for Conway. I use to work there.

Chris
Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, 32 ft is a big fish at Greers. We try to get to LOTO several times a summer so I can feel the little fish feeling!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So you add 150 HP and go 10 MPH faster and then the next year after getting the dog crap beat out of you by all of the other boats that are just a little bit faster than yours. So now you spend just a little more so that you beat those boats that beat you the summer before. Guess what there is always someone faster. You will never be happy with the boat and will end up selling it at a great loss. I know that you like your boat but if you find another boat that is more suitable to your wishes you will be far happier with the new boat. After a year or two you will want to modify the new one. Boats / Speed is a drug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.