Notices

SSM3 oil leak

Old 02-26-2022, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

If it`s that bad how did it work before ?
What changed I thought you just took the drive off ?
Old 02-26-2022, 04:15 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

There’s no gimbal bearing so I’d just get the shaft in and call it a day
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
If it`s that bad how did it work before ?
What changed I thought you just took the drive off ?
The boat Boat ran great no vibration or indication of misalignment..........I removed the drive in order to replace a 10" oil line that was leaking.
The Drive separated with no problem getting back in big problem.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
There’s no gimbal bearing so I’d just get the shaft in and call it a day
Didn't know 3's don't have a Gimbal bearing?..it would've been ruined if it did. I guess it's Bravo's with bearing.
What is sure is the splined shaft doesn't align with the coupler @ the trans.....searched video's of #3's but all
there is is Bravo's and Alpha's
Old 02-26-2022, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

If it came out and was fine before and you didn`t move anything how could it all of a sudden be misaligned? You `re not making any sense .
Put it back the way it came out .
It can be a real ***** to put back in, just because you can`t do it doesn`t mean it`s misaligned.

I use masking tape to tape the u joints straight , once the motor turns over the masking tape will break apart
Old 02-26-2022, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
If it came out and was fine before and you didn`t move anything how could it all of a sudden be misaligned? You `re not making any sense .
Put it back the way it came out .
It can be a real ***** to put back in, just because you can`t do it doesn`t mean it`s misaligned.
I use masking tape to tape the u joints straight , once the motor turns over the masking tape will break apart
OK that's both of us that it doesn't make sense to....did the tape thing real good with the floppy u-joint, straight & stiff, but
that's not the problem...... something moved maybe under tension don't know why, but here I am!
Old 03-08-2022, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Today I pulled the starboard drive replaced the leaky oil line and within seconds of the first try "boooom" the drive re-attached like butter.
So as far as the port (problem) drive, we'll need to separate the engine from the tailstock something is frozen in there
Old 03-09-2022, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

That's the way it goes with me sometimes, one is easy, while to other is not.
If it was misaligned to point of not being able to get the spline in, you should be able to see it from the outside looking in when the drive is off. I have also slid the bellows off to align the shaft, it's not easy but you can see what is going on.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by resurrected
That's the way it goes with me sometimes, one is easy, while to other is not.
If it was misaligned to point of not being able to get the spline in, you should be able to see it from the outside looking in when the drive is off. I have also slid the bellows off to align the shaft, it's not easy but you can see what is going on.
looking in with a light the spline looks to be a tad off so we unbolted the engine at the tranny and moved it in the direction to align, but everything in the tailstock moved in one piece odd?..... I also unbolted the front of the engine from the offshore mount thinking it would pitch and align the inner spline with the yoke but same result no matter how the engine is moved pitch up pitch down everything deep in there moves in one piece ......somethng in there is frozen in place causing out of alignment with yoke to the spline ...........could be a bearing has burnt in place?..... is there even a pressed bearing in there to begin with?..and what part # would that be?......thank goodness the starboard drive slipped off easy and went in easy in the first try after replacing the oil line.........next move is to lift engine out and see what the heck is going on.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

The tail stock of the transmission fits into the transom assembly pretty snug, so unless the receiving portion of the transom assembly is out round or the tail stock on the transmission is wrong, the only way to adjust alignment is raise or lower the front of the engine, which as you have seen makes very little difference in the tail stock position in the transom assembly.
Hopefully someone with rigging experience can offer their insight.
As far as worn out components in the transmission being a contributing factor, I have no idea.
Is the input on the transmission in the center of the tail sock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.