Drive shower for high x dimension >

Drive shower for high x dimension

Notices

Drive shower for high x dimension

Old 01-27-2022, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Don’t most drive showers rely on the rotation to the prop to push water up the shower tube? The drive shower pickup is not like a thru hull pickup relying on the water itself to force it in while moving.
I think the prop may help, but I'd envision the shower pickup in the water flow is doing most of the work.

Originally Posted by abones
Yes, That is the working theory. FYI I have a high X on my cat and ran the Halo style Simrek drive showers with extended dual pick ups and they preformed great! The Prop forced water into both pick ups on each shower.
Your anti-ventilation plates out of the water at speed? If so by how much?
If a Bravo drive is surfacing at speed and the top 50%, 40%, or even 30% of the prop is out of water. I don't envision the prop pushing any water into the shower.
I'd have to see a video to prove that the prop is indeed pushing water up the shower in that situation.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:37 PM
dru
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

My boat is a notched transom. Boat runs great. Takes a sec to learn how to feather the throttles to get it on plane but it’s a quick learn. I just was wondering if the showers would get enough water. I just can’t see how it can. Currently running a 5 blade because of the prop being partially out of the water so I don’t know how those pick ups would suck up water. But hell what do I know
Old 01-27-2022, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Look at how much water a surfacing or semi-surfacing drive throws, ie rooster tail. That’s just the water that makes it past the splash plate, which is directly above the prop where the drive shower pickup is located.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I don’t have any go-pro footage, but I’m pretty sure my rooster tail starts behind the cavitation plate
The following users liked this post:
cheech (01-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 10:32 PM
dru
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

Guess we have ourselves a science project!! 😆📐✏️📚
The following 2 users liked this post by dru:
1983ScarabIII (03-16-2022), cheech (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
I think the prop may help, but I'd envision the shower pickup in the water flow is doing most of the work.

Your anti-ventilation plates out of the water at speed? If so by how much?
If a Bravo drive is surfacing at speed and the top 50%, 40%, or even 30% of the prop is out of water. I don't envision the prop pushing any water into the shower.
I'd have to see a video to prove that the prop is indeed pushing water up the shower in that situation.
I said I have a high X, never implied that my drives are surfacing, No go pro footage to investigate. notched transom, my guess is the Cav plate is right at the point of surfacing. I will look to see if I have any shots from the Helos from past poker runs that might shed some light on depth. Will post if I see any that will show what we need.

Last edited by abones; 01-28-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts

A few weld bungs and a thru-hull.

Engine water with a pickup, and then use the drive pickup for the shower, this way you will get water circulating thru the drive.

The following 2 users liked this post by Alexanderlindahl:
IGetWet (01-28-2022), Trueser (01-29-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexanderlindahl
A few weld bungs and a thru-hull.

Engine water with a pickup, and then use the drive pickup for the shower, this way you will get water circulating thru the drive.

Cool setup and I bet it keeps the drive nice and cool. Curious, do you have a pressure relief anywhere in the line or is it all just forced through that line?
Old 01-28-2022, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
I said I have a high X, never implied that my drives are surfacing, No go pro footage to investigate. notched transom, my guess is the Cav plate is right at the point of surfacing. I will look to see if I have any shots from the Helos from past poker runs that might shed some light on depth. Will post if I see any that will show what we need.
I know you didn't, but you did say the prop forced water into the shower.

Look at how much water a surfacing or semi-surfacing drive throws, ie rooster tail. That’s just the water that makes it past the splash plate, which is directly above the prop where the drive shower pickup is located.
I know there are variations of drive showers.
But speaking of Simrek.
Go to 3:50 in video below. The pickups are pointing forward and way ahead of the aft tips of the prop.
I'm not saying there is no way. But I'm not believing that any water is being forced into that shower by the prop!
Aside from the Simrek. I think they still need to be in the flow of water to be force fed by that. Not the prop.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool setup and I bet it keeps the drive nice and cool. Curious, do you have a pressure relief anywhere in the line or is it all just forced through that line?

My thru-hull water pickup does not have a pressure relief valve yet, closed cooling so the water only goes thru the exchanger and exhaust.

but I'm adding a sea strainer when I switch engine.

For the drive it's an AN-10 hose thru hull with open flow, so no relief there either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.