Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
What is the best tool to cut speaker openings? >

What is the best tool to cut speaker openings?

Notices

What is the best tool to cut speaker openings?

Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Just have to ask what is your plan for the speaker placements? I don't see what you need the extra set of tweeters for, unless your 8.8 & 7.7's are going to be placed very low in the boat.

That system you have right there should make plenty of sound. The 10" may have a bit of a hard time keeping up with the four coaxial speakers, but should add some solid bass to the system.
Yes, bothe 7.7 and 8.8 are at bottom of cockpit filling existing holes. I have some tweeters high now and will replace them.

Question, because I see you are pretty intelligent about the systems, what do you mean about the 2 10s keeping up?? I don't understand.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a perfect circle jig that's for my router, that way I can get a perfect hole everytime. i use it predominantly for subwoofer openings.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
Yes, bothe 7.7 and 8.8 are at bottom of cockpit filling existing holes. I have some tweeters high now and will replace them.

Question, because I see you are pretty intelligent about the systems, what do you mean about the 2 10s keeping up?? I don't understand.
It's just that you have 4 mid/hi speakers and then the extra tweeters. That's a lot for the 10" to keep up with. The thing is with the speakers low in the cockpit you will not hear all of the output from those speakers.

I would try to get the speakers up higher if at all possible. My system is 4 6.5" in the sides and 2 above the swim plat. Then three 12" subs under the bench. Anyone that has heard it will probably say it hits pretty good.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
It's just that you have 4 mid/hi speakers and then the extra tweeters. That's a lot for the 10" to keep up with. The thing is with the speakers low in the cockpit you will not hear all of the output from those speakers.

I would try to get the speakers up higher if at all possible. My system is 4 6.5" in the sides and 2 above the swim plat. Then three 12" subs under the bench. Anyone that has heard it will probably say it hits pretty good.
Thanks!

My issue is that I am replacing existing 6x9 speakers and thus the holes are already there. I will have the 2 10s under the back seat bench and cut new holes for 2 7.7s next to them. Then in the front of the cockpit low I will replace the 6x9 with the 8.8s. And high in the front there are 2 tweeters that I will replace.

I can get a couple higher I think but they would have to be 6.5 I think. Would it help? How many and what size?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
Thanks!

My issue is that I am replacing existing 6x9 speakers and thus the holes are already there. I will have the 2 10s under the back seat bench and cut new holes for 2 7.7s next to them. Then in the front of the cockpit low I will replace the 6x9 with the 8.8s. And high in the front there are 2 tweeters that I will replace.

I can get a couple higher I think but they would have to be 6.5 I think. Would it help? How many and what size?
Honestly I would find a way to cosmetically block off the holes down low. Subs are fine down low but Mid/Hi the higher the better. Then even 4 6.5" will make plenty of sound. Post some pictures of the cockpit.

Our boat at the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Ix...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Registered

I use a holesaw,,not only a perfect hole but easier to get into a tight place than trying to wrangle a jigsaw around
interior pieces..
Remember the hole for a speaker is smaller than the listed size.. Example a 6.5" speaker
may only require a 5.5" hole.. The actual hole size will vary even among speakers listed as the same size.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Registered

Any pictures on how the progress is going?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Registered

A buddy of mine has a 33 AT with almost the same set up. I think he has all 8.8's. I know he said if he did it all over again he wouldn't have put the subs in but would've added another pair of 8.8's. three pairs of 8.8's will put out more than enough extremely tight bass and sound amazing. Run them with a pair of class D amps like the Rockford's M400 or JL audios's M600 and you'll have the best sounding and loudest stereo on the lake. We used a Ridgid brand one handed reciprocating saw to cut the holes. works great and is around 100 bucks. Super light and very maneuverable as well. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Registered

Still haven't installed the stuff yet. Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If those are 10W3's, they will not have any issues keeping up with the rest of the system.....I would've recommended more amp for them though if they are 10W3's....I also don't think you'll be happy with 100 watts on those 8.8's, they really need more juice than that to come alive. I would've done a 600/4 and 750/1 or for a little less cash an 800/8 and a 600/1, if they would make the XD1000/1 in a marine amp it would be perfect for those subs, but I wouldn't recommend them unless the boat is always in fresh water. I have run the standard XD's on numerous lake boats without issues. I actually prefer the XD amps over the HD amps on full range speakers as I can hear the amps switching through the speakers and if the ohm load gets below 1.7 or so the amps start to freak out. Since most of the boats I work on run 6 speakers, putting 4 of them on 2 channels cuts the ohm load down to 2 and it can easily dip below that depending on voltage and a number of other factors.

Last edited by Tommy1005; 03-16-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.