Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
Exterior paint on Das Boat is done.  Engine bay clean up now... >

Exterior paint on Das Boat is done. Engine bay clean up now...

Notices

Exterior paint on Das Boat is done. Engine bay clean up now...

Old 12-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Exterior paint on Das Boat is done. Engine bay clean up now...

Well, the paint came out great on the 38 '82 Excaliber. I am going to roll gelcoat on the top half, but for now I am replacing the deck furniture and cleaning up the engine bay/bilge. This should look good. Here's the thread on the paint i did:
[PICS] Painting Das Boat.... What a great buzz.

Well, now that I have all the engine and electrical gremlins fixed and fresh paint on the hull it's time to re-do the deck furniture and clean up the engine bay.

I decided as part of the bilge/engine bay cleanup to powder coat the intakes and valve covers on each engine. Green for starboard and Red for port. Took me about 3 hours start to finish which includes sand blasting, shooting powder, baking, cooling, 2nd coat of powder, cooling, and a coat of clear coat powder. This is going to look much better.

Starting off cleaning this mess. Makes me think I've done all that work to be no better than a C4 COTY. (that's a joke for a friend on a Corvette Forum who has a C4 Corvette voted C4 of the Year).

Starboard intake and valve covers..... (I'm thinking about having the headers ceramicoated to match, too). All Chrome/Stainless is going bye bye. Too much work to keep up with it.

Yes, the surface where the throttle body mounts will have the coating removed for a proper seal.

It looks like the coating is pitted, but that's actually the metal surface. I hit it heavy with powder and clear coat to fill most of it in and it looked worse before I did this.

And here are more pieces I did to today while I was sand blasting the port side pieces. i sill need to to the main fuel pump casing, but it's soaking in some break-free over night since it's never been taken apart before.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Same as your other thread, I like the outdoor work. Not everyone has a big workshop and spray booth but that's no reason not to paint things!

Looking nice, keep up the good work.

RR
Old 12-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Same as your other thread, I like the outdoor work. Not everyone has a big workshop and spray booth but that's no reason not to paint things!

Looking nice, keep up the good work.

RR
Thank you.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Registered

Still got a bunch of work left to do, but it's coming together nicely. I think i may send the headers off to be ceramicoated to match the engines they are attached to.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, I love watching your threads as i too did a spiff on the old Excal. Keep it up love seeing your boat and its progress
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 64294501
Looks great, I love watching your threads as i too did a spiff on the old Excal. Keep it up love seeing your boat and its progress
Thanks. Where are the pics of yours?

After I finish this, the next think to do is a new engine bay cover (new fiberglass) and seating. I already ripped out the rear bench and captain's chair. When I took them to the dump, they both weighted in at about 500+ pounds. Yikes!
Old 01-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still working on getting a way to post pics lol, maybe 2018 is my year !!!!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 64294501
I am still working on getting a way to post pics lol, maybe 2018 is my year !!!!
It's fairly easy. I upload mine to facebook now that photobucket makes you sign up and pay for the privilege of linking to pictures saved there.

I think I'm going to doe the headers in matching colors for port and starboard, too. Either that or I will do the same color blue that I painted the hull with which will match the new benches and captain's seat. The headers don't get more than 200 degrees since the coolant water exits through them. Should look real nice and clean. The black just makes it look dirty and nasty like it has been neglected for years (which it was before I got a hold of the boat).
Old 01-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill
It's fairly easy. I upload mine to facebook now that photobucket makes you sign up and pay for the privilege of linking to pictures saved there.

I think I'm going to doe the headers in matching colors for port and starboard, too. Either that or I will do the same color blue that I painted the hull with which will match the new benches and captain's seat. The headers don't get more than 200 degrees since the coolant water exits through them. Should look real nice and clean. The black just makes it look dirty and nasty like it has been neglected for years (which it was before I got a hold of the boat).
Just my opinion, don't do the headers blue...... too many colors in the engine bay. Match them to their respective engine if you're gonna paint them. (TBH, I don't mind them black)

Cant remember the BM or the boat (might have been a Hustler) but a boat had a multi-color interior and the BM said "looks like Ronald McDonald has made love to a Smurf". I don't want people saying that about your engine bay!

RR
Old 01-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Just my opinion, don't do the headers blue...... too many colors in the engine bay. Match them to their respective engine if you're gonna paint them. (TBH, I don't mind them black)

Cant remember the BM or the boat (might have been a Hustler) but a boat had a multi-color interior and the BM said "looks like Ronald McDonald has made love to a Smurf". I don't want people saying that about your engine bay!

RR
that's what I was thinking and I'll do the green/red like I had orginaly planned.

Now, since I ripped out all of the deck furniture, I am going to put down indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor and the side of the bulkheads where I had padding mounted on plywood cut to the shape of the side. It was heavy and nasty. I'm thinking black carpet or a blue that matches the seats and hull paint. Not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm leaning towards the blue.

Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 01-03-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.