2008 350SS problems

Notices
Formula

2008 350SS problems

Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by selpel
Had you ever test drove a 350 SS before you purchase one?
No, I drove a few other smaller boats though. The 350SS feels very smooth even at 55 MPH. I have to get used to the amount of steering turns it takes to start moving the boat.

Cmcjo, If and when you get your boat make sure someone teaches you how to dock with the shifters. Ask mentalpause how easy I put our 350SS backwards in a 12 wide slip with just the shifts and NO throttle. You will not be sorry incase the axius does quit you will not pantic and scratch you new boat. It is not that hard to learn and you will be a better driver by knowing how to do it.
Yes I agree and I would think that with time I wont be using the Axius much when I master the throttles.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Registered

You will love your 350SS once you get a chance to play with it for awhile. We have sold at least 5 since Jan. boat shows and have 2 left for the 08 model year. What other options did you get?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Mentalpause, remember our conversation on Axius and WHY we have not or will not order one for stock anytime soon. Dont take the chance wait and get it on your next boat and give Merc a couple of years to make it work every time. I know you can drive the 350SS oldschool
Hey Steve, how's things going. I am not worried about being able to spot the 350 with the sticks. After a few years docking the high X dimension staggered set ups - this will be a breeze.

I'm also sure Merc will go through a few more software updates before they get most bugs out of the system. That will be another year likely. At least for me, that was expected and does not bother me. When we put a new software product in we plan 3-4 major fix pack patches, plus several minor ones to fix defects.

I may be down this weekend. If so maybe I will stop by so you can give me a hard time on this....
Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered

You will love your 350SS once you get a chance to play with it for awhile. We have sold at least 5 since Jan. boat shows and have 2 left for the 08 model year. What other options did you get?
Thanks man. Every option except for teak floors and the generator. (the generator exclusion is a problem though since I was mis-informed with the functionality.

I also added radar. Not sure why.. but it looks cool
Old 05-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Hey Steve, how's things going. I am not worried about being able to spot the 350 with the sticks. After a few years docking the high X dimension staggered set ups - this will be a breeze.

I'm also sure Merc will go through a few more software updates before they get most bugs out of the system. That will be another year likely. At least for me, that was expected and does not bother me. When we put a new software product in we plan 3-4 major fix pack patches, plus several minor ones to fix defects.

I may be down this weekend. If so maybe I will stop by so you can give me a hard time on this....
Hi MP:
Will they come out to my house to do the patches? or does the boat have to be shipped to the dealer each time?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cmcjo
Hi MP:
Will they come out to my house to do the patches? or does the boat have to be shipped to the dealer each time?
I don't know, you probably need to talk to your dealer about that. Will you have a way to get your boat back to the dealer for service for other stuff?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Registered

Thanks man. Every option except for teak floors and the generator. (the generator exclusion is a problem though since I was mis-informed with the functionality.

I also added radar. Not sure why.. but it looks cool
Cool, What did the dealer tell you that made you NOT order the genset. I am with you on the floors. In talking with customers on do they like it? About 60% say yes 40% no. The e-80 chartplotter and radar system is way cool you will fall in love with what it can do!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mercury corporate called me to accept most of the blame admitting that Formula is also slightly to blame.
Did they actually DO anything for you, or just give lip service?

I also got a call from Formula but I have not returned there call yet.
By all means call them. I suspect you might get Chuck Miller, who is a super-nice guy. Everyone I have every dealt with at Formula has done whatever they can within reasonable limits to take care of me. As often as not, they have gone above and beyond, but yours is a pretty high-$$$ issue...

As far as the dealer, I will not mention their name but I will say I will not be doing business with them again. This is my first boat so I would think the Axius joystick system will save me on docking..
I suspect that most of us know, and many agree.

That's a lot of boat for Boat #1!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Registered

Elaborate on that, please.... For instance, why go initially with a 28 or a 31, try it, be dissatisfied with the space, then trade up(while losing a ton of money) and eventuate with something like a 35 or 37. I understand the mechanics of learning to use a big piece of equipment can be a learning curve. But...I also understand the fact of losing your tail whenever you trade up with these things. May we hear some comments from all, including Troy and Selpel from their point of view.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DOCS OUT

Elaborate on that, please....
My first boat was 16 feet / $6,000 new. I would suspect that very few people can jump into boating at the 35 feet / $300,000 level. God Bless those who can.

A nice pre-owned boat can soften the "losing your tail" process. There are lot's of those out there.

Quick Reply: 2008 350SS problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.