Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I would say that in areas the plex was oversqueezed to the point of only a thin amount was left, in some areas there was not enough applied. BUT.......this is only according to the info I have read about the product. I am merely a 382 owner, engineer and a dad. What do I know...The proof will be in a few years down the road if these boats have no more issues.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
Remove all the bolts, remove all the plexus, Re apply plexus in a liberal amount, reinstall squeeze bolts and resqueeze to plexus recommended amount. When finished we had plex squeezing out of the seam inside and out. I would estimate we had 3 times the material in the seam than we took out. See the first few pages of this thread on the plex. Thanks, Dave
Some pics from Dave
Attached Thumbnails IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.-dsc00631m.jpg   IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.-dsc00637m.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
MOV00640.mpg (479.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Photos

As you can see from the seam photo there is a single bead of plex that was not compressed. The plunge cutter worked really slick to remove the old plex. The knife blade could be bent slightly to cut the material from under the deck. It flexed enough to take out the plex and not the fiberglass. The 1/2 round cutter was more aggressive on the hull side of the seam as shown on the video. We packed the joint full of plex and forced it up into the seam with a bondo paddle. When the joint was compressed with the screws it pushed out inside and out. I know for sure there are no voids.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you can see from the seam photo there is a single bead of plex that was not compressed. The plunge cutter worked really slick to remove the old plex. The knife blade could be bent slightly to cut the material from under the deck. It flexed enough to take out the plex and not the fiberglass. The 1/2 round cutter was more aggressive on the hull side of the seam as shown on the video. We packed the joint full of plex and forced it up into the seam with a bondo paddle. When the joint was compressed with the screws it pushed out inside and out. I know for sure there are no voids.
So in the picture were the hull and deck was not bonded at the factory,did Formula still say it was driver error?
I believe this is also the cause of water in the cabin that has been asked about many times.There are probably hulls out there that have not separated but are not sealed.And this is were the water is coming in.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Shouldn't you somehow bind the deck and hull together to allow for a tight seal? Not sure how you can do this.
There are through bolts every 18" or so
Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

Could you explain the 2 pictures please. The blury one on the left looks like it has a bead of something on it. Is this a before repair, or after repair?

The one on the right with the cutter and the wedge. How much of an overlap is there deck to hull?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zone 5
Could you explain the 2 pictures please. The blury one on the left looks like it has a bead of something on it. Is this a before repair, or after repair?

The one on the right with the cutter and the wedge. How much of an overlap is there deck to hull?
--------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see from the seam photo there is a single bead of plex that was not compressed-----

Copied from Fossil's post its my understanding it was never compressed and was before repair.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
--------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see from the seam photo there is a single bead of plex that was not compressed-----

Copied from Fossil's post its my understanding it was never compressed and was before repair.
I read that. I wanted to confirm it was PRE repair, because the way he described the repair, there should be a bead sticking out then (after repair) too.

When the joint was compressed with the screws it pushed out inside and out
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

The way I read it both pictures were pre repair.Maybe Dave can post so we know for sure.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Remove all the bolts, remove all the plexus, Re apply plexus in a liberal amount, reinstall squeeze bolts and resqueeze to plexus recommended amount.
Did you redo the entire boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.