Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
So if you look in the side storage compartments what is it you'll be looking for? Gaps? Plexis squeezed out? Or do you have to pull the rub rail off?
Does this come down to a surface prep issue on some boats?
Inside the gunnels, you will see a piece like the picture that is posted earlier, with the nut that is on the through bolt going all the way through the deck.hull and into the plate. You should not be able to see anything else, as it covers the seem between the deck/hull
Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
This is not a end of the world fix and no paint work is required if you are careful.
What are you doing to fix it? Are you just replacing bolts? or are you re glueing it with something?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Remove all the bolts, remove all the plexus, Re apply plexus in a liberal amount, reinstall squeeze bolts and resqueeze to plexus recommended amount. When finished we had plex squeezing out of the seam inside and out. I would estimate we had 3 times the material in the seam than we took out. See the first few pages of this thread on the plex. Thanks, Dave
Old 02-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, Back a few pages you said that there was to be a .05" layer of plexus left after you bolt the hull halfs. How did you accomplish this? Do you know if they used feeler guages or some type of spacer? I would assume that if you just tightened the bolts that you would squeeze most of it out?

Thanks
Jon
Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Does anyone have any objection if I go through and clean out any of the banter that does not specifically relate to this topic? I think that with this looking like it may be more serious then we thought it is important that we keep it 100% on topic. Mostly I am thinking get rid of all the financing stuff?

Jon
Sorry I don't know know what the word banter means, but I believe I get the general idea here.

Actually I did not intend to answer the financing part any more in this thread, and genereally speaking I am all for keep threads "clean" and stick to the subject, but since Expensive Date has made the same comment in other threads too, I wanted to check if he can substantiate, what I believe is his point of view, as opposed to fact.

I don't object to deleting all the financing stuff including my comments, as long as Expensive Date's original comment about Formula not holding their value is deleted too. If that comment is not deleted, I will object.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

There seem to be many different Plexus adhesives, anybody that knows the specific product that is used for the deck bonding ?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Shouldn't you somehow bind the deck and hull together to allow for a tight seal? Not sure how you can do this.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
There seem to be many different Plexus adhesives, anybody that knows the specific product that is used for the deck bonding ?
What product did you use for the repair job ?

Maybe it is on this list: http://www.itwplexus.com/UserFiles/F...ectorGuide.pdf
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I will look at the tubes. It is the same product number that Formula uses. Before we applied it to the seam we ran some tests on old fiberglass scraps we had laying around the shop. We tested it on dirty panels with no cleaning other that wipe off the dust with a rag, We sanded a panel and one we just scraped. The next day we broke them apart. All of the panels ripped to the structural mat ! It seems the plex penetrates the gel coat as advertised. It did not matter dirty or clean. I think this is why you need to leave 1/8" in the seam so it has the chemistry to work.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
I will look at the tubes. It is the same product number that Formula uses. Before we applied it to the seam we ran some tests on old fiberglass scraps we had laying around the shop. We tested it on dirty panels with no cleaning other that wipe off the dust with a rag, We sanded a panel and one we just scraped. The next day we broke them apart. All of the panels ripped to the structural mat ! It seems the plex penetrates the gel coat as advertised. It did not matter dirty or clean. I think this is why you need to leave 1/8" in the seam so it has the chemistry to work.
So am I to understand that in your opinion the failure was caused by lack of adhesive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.