Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I want to again bring this forward as I am getting PM's from owners wanting more info. I'm at 300 hrs of open ocean use. No failures on repairs. The best info is on post #140/152

Thanks, Dave
Old 12-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
I want to again bring this forward as I am getting PM's from owners wanting more info. I'm at 300 hrs of open ocean use. No failures on repairs. The best info is on post #140/152

Thanks, Dave
Thanks, Dave!

...and yes, I joined the club
Old 01-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm on my fourth Formula and boat on lake Mi. Two of them were new 382s. I have had no hull problems ever. I do have a Kevlar hull, but never had any problems with the fiberglass ones either. Getting kind of sick of seeing this Thread.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Here are a few pics that illustrate how the hull might flex when the factory defect shows up..........not the end of the world but if not addressed..............could be bad.
Maybe I'm missing the point here. That is a suspended headliner, what does that have to do with the hull and deck bonding? Maybe I should go back and reread all the post but what Im seeing there is a headliner problem, not a deck problem.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Registered

Gosh, I should have just re attached the headliner. My 05 has never had a headliner failure. Sorry about your disgust with seeing this thread. I probably get 1 or 2 PM's a month concerning this issue. I have brought it forward twice since it was first reported. All of our FIVE boats have been repaired with no further failures. When I get no more PM's regarding this issue I will no longer bring it forward and it will vanish.

Thanks for the concern for your fellow boaters
Old 01-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kevlar382
Maybe I'm missing the point here. That is a suspended headliner, what does that have to do with the hull and deck bonding? Maybe I should go back and reread all the post but what Im seeing there is a headliner problem, not a deck problem.
I can assure you this ain't no headliner issue! My membership is up so I can't post a pic, but my joint has separated from the windshield to the mid bow cleat. I caught it very early. My rubrail wasn't even loose, and no screws broken. But the joint has failed.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Registered

And my headliner is just fine
Old 01-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Registered

Nuf Said!
Thanks turbo
Old 01-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Registered

Just got confirmation of another 382 with the same issue. Convinced a buddy to dig into his even though it looked fine. Same failure as mine.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Has anybody ever heard of a Formula blowing the deck off and people being hurt ? Back in the F2 days the bond was done the same way as on all Fastechs and they seemed to have held up pretty well. I have to admit I have had to tighten my rub rail sometimes, so I through bolted it were I could ( which has nothing to do with the bond between the hull and deck ) and did the same with the windshield. We boat in some pretty ruff water here on Lake Michigan and there isn't a boat made that doesn't have things break and/or come loose, including Cigs, OL, Skaters, Nor-Techs, and every other boat made. Most definitely not trying to start a war here and do appreciate your concern for other people's safety, just think if a Formula was going to blow apart mine would have done it a long time ago. It was built in 2000, I bought it new and to this day it doesn't have so much as a stress crack in it.
Has anybody ever heard of the grid coming loose from the hull ? I believe that was the main reason for switching to Pluxus. That is just glued in with no through bolts and I have never heard of one coming apart. Just wondering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.