311 Engine Upgrades

Notices
Formula

311 Engine Upgrades

Old 04-24-2021, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

And please pay no attention to the mess that is my garage. The place is full of engine/trans assemblies, exhaust for two boats, motorcycle, etc. Out of room!
Old 04-25-2021, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
And please pay no attention to the mess that is my garage. The place is full of engine/trans assemblies, exhaust for two boats, motorcycle, etc. Out of room!
Aren't we all out of room. Just wear your purple helmet there so if you trip and fall your noggin is protected.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cheech
Aren't we all out of room. Just wear your purple helmet there so if you trip and fall your noggin is protected.
Hahaha!!

Don’t knock it... the foam cat ears really help break falls!

The following users liked this post:
SB (04-29-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scraping and painting!!

Because my heads were seeping, some brackets really took a beating. I'm reusing the cool fuel bracket to support my Holley pump> Last night we sanded the heck out them, then washed and wiped them down with solvent to paint. We painted with an oil-based satin black Rustoleum and they came out "okay." They'll be in bilge-land so I'm no worried about appearance... just need them to not rot away so I think we accomplished that mission. They were wasted!

The fuel filter heads were also in really bad shape. Same treatment - these came out much better. Still, they'll be hidden, but the work will make them last.

These pieces are ready for regular paint. I had some chipped areas that needed help so I took care of them, and if I manage not to drink my face off (serious girlfriend issues right now), I'll paint tonight.

This is my heat exchanger bracket. I got all the right bolts, spacers, bracket and felts for $270 for both engines. Merc wanted $377 per bracket - that's right - per bracket. I got them from Performance Products Technologies out of Oklahoma. It took a little time for delivery, but everything made it with no issues and the parts were on the money. Their prices aren't all deeply discounted, but I've had great luck so far. Still waiting for my ARP water pump bolts.

Aside from painting, I might work on the rest of the fuel plumbing tonight. My USCG Push-Lock hose came in today. It's time to put all the fittings I've bought to use!

And today was another $500 parts ordering day.

Last edited by TomZ; 04-27-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In pic above... you’ll notice the crank pulley is still off. I have a brand new pulley that’s waiting on clean bolts for the install.

A lot of this stuff will need to come back off to go back in the boat. The transmissions make it tight going in and out. To go on the dyno, they need to be dressed.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In pic above... you’ll notice the crank pulley is still off. I have a brand new pulley that’s waiting on clean bolts for the install.

A lot of this stuff will need to come back off to go back in the boat. The transmissions make it tight going in and out. To go on the dyno, they need to be dressed.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Trying to get fuel line routing right. I think this is going to be my plan.

I’m sure you al have noticed that the feed to the carb is from the rear. With the pump being on the opposite side, I figured I’d run it from the back similar to how the MPI feed was run. The return regulator will mount on the head. The return hose on the regulator is actually a duplicate of the “regulator to fuel log” hose. I’m duplicating everything as I go.

I worked on some of the oil routing, too, but nothing to really show until I have the brackets painted and mounted.

Everything is being band-clamped. I know the USCG likes that on the fuel hoses, but I’ve seen some warnings about clamps damaging the hose. The bands are not worm gear clamps and produce uniform pressure. I guess I’ll need to watch the connections.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If there’s a better idea with fuel line routing, I’m listening.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Instead of the 90 and the more complicated routing of the line between the distributor and carb, maybe a 45 that can squeeze between the coil and the distributor?
Old 04-28-2021, 09:05 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

What’s the benefit , or reason why you have to, run fuel lines from rear ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.