Notices
Formula

The complete 242 thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default nice thread

Originally Posted by groove
I don't think this has been done yet and I think it would be interesting to anyone doing research, I'm starting a thread for each model boat. I'm hoping they will be the complete "guide" to each model. What I'd like to see in it is hard facts about this model only,(length, beam, available power, years produced, numbers produced, colors, pictures, weights, pricing for different years.)

I'd like to keep out the shopping questions. But feel free to put in comments about likes and dislikes, common problems, and results with different power packages. As time permits, I'll troll through old posts and add info collected through the years. If I didn't start a thread for a model you want to see, start one up with the right subject name.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
very cool
Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the owner of a 91 242 ss blue and teal. I have had the boat out a few times this year and with 4 adults and a full tank of fuel it went 47mph (gps) i love the boat and is my first one to own and couldn't have picked a better boat. i am in the process of turning it into a speeder. Going to be building a 496 stroker motor with almost 600 hp this winter. Not sure what to do for a prop so if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks and when i get some pics of her i will post them!!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered

if anyone is looking for info on any 87 formula's i have the brochures that they posted in a e-mail that i can send to anyone as long as i have ur e-mail address.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 91formula242
I am the owner of a 91 242 ss blue and teal. I have had the boat out a few times this year and with 4 adults and a full tank of fuel it went 47mph (gps) i love the boat and is my first one to own and couldn't have picked a better boat. i am in the process of turning it into a speeder. Going to be building a 496 stroker motor with almost 600 hp this winter. Not sure what to do for a prop so if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks and when i get some pics of her i will post them!!
I have an 88 242ss w/7.4 bravo did 52gps full fuel and 3 1/2 humans 23p mirageII 4300 rpm's
Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Registered

Default Wiring Diagram for a 1990 242ls

Hi new to boating and just bought a 90 242ls with an aluminum headed punched out 454 now a 496. Boat runs great and I've seen 75mph on the gps. It also has bravo x with an imco lower unit. My question is does anyone have a wiring diagram for this year and model they could email me. The previous owner started replacing the original gauges with white faced ones, he installed a gps speedo and tach and I now have finished the rest of them. My problem is it seems the gauges I installed only work half the time, I'm guessing a loose ground but I don't know where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikemracing
Hi new to boating and just bought a 90 242ls with an aluminum headed punched out 454 now a 496. Boat runs great and I've seen 75mph on the gps. It also has bravo x with an imco lower unit. My question is does anyone have a wiring diagram for this year and model they could email me. The previous owner started replacing the original gauges with white faced ones, he installed a gps speedo and tach and I now have finished the rest of them. My problem is it seems the gauges I installed only work half the time, I'm guessing a loose ground but I don't know where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
WOW 75 !!! how much horse power?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I bought an '87 242 ss this spring with a 350 mag and alpha. It will do 54 on the speedo but I think in reality is only about 48. I just bought a 496 out of an '06 suburban that I'm in the process of converting it for marine use. I want to build it into the HP3 if I can find all the parts to do that. Either way after I finish the engine and replace the alpha with a bravo I'll be very happy if I see the high 60's. So far even though it not a speedster yet its been a fun boat.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts
Default "New" 242

I just picked up an '85 242LS w/twins and bolsters. Haven't been out yet (other than the test drive), but really looking forward to a great summer. The interior is beat. Any tips on redoing the upholstery and carpeting in the cabin? Does bottom paint really reduce top end by ~4 MPH as someone on this thread asserted? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 242LS
I just picked up an '85 242LS w/twins and bolsters. Haven't been out yet (other than the test drive), but really looking forward to a great summer. The interior is beat. Any tips on redoing the upholstery and carpeting in the cabin? Does bottom paint really reduce top end by ~4 MPH as someone on this thread asserted? Thanks!
Congrates on your boat. My bottom was painted as well and the first thing I did was strip it off... I used 3 different brands of stripper. Kleen Strip for fiberglass worked pretty good... Interlux paint remover was a joke and expensive. The best was a product by back to nature. I just put a healthy coat on let it sit for maybe 30 minutes and the powerwashed it off with roto-tip nozzle. Then I wet sanded with 400-600 and buffed. I wasn't fun but it sure looks good now.

I also had my sun pad and bench redone. I used an automotive guy. His prices and quality was better than the marine guys. On my boat, Naugahyde brand matched the best, I believe thats who Formula used. Anyway good luck.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Registered

Sorry I've been out of town The engine is rated at 650h.p. built by fred white in tenn. I believe the previous owner told me it dynoed at 619h.p.

Quick Reply: The complete 242 thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.