Test result Formula,Fountain,Donzi why? >

Test result Formula,Fountain,Donzi why?

Notices

Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
I'm really shocked you've had cruiser wakes that couldn't get over your engine hatch. I watched a wakeboard boat send a wave over the back seat of a 27 one day that I thought for sure was going to sink. As I was watching it happen I saw my buddy and his wife laying on the hatch of the Fountain get blurry (from the water) and then go into full panic.

That same Fountain will park in the channel in Havasu and have the rubrail under water. Of course it leaks so he almost sunk it parked at the beach.

I don't think I've ever seen a boat lower to the water in the back than a 27 Fountain.

Now about that leaky rubrail, I know it's problem he's never tackled, anybody else ever have this problem?
I can't see attached pictures, but I can tell you that my single BBC 27' sits with the rubrail a good 4" or more out of the water. All of the 32's i've seen sit with the rubrail almost at the water line. I've seen a twin big-block 29 on our lake that doesn't sit as low as a 32. It did have a lot of aluminum parts on the motors, though, so that probably made a difference.

What does your friends boat have for power? If it's a twin-engine boat, that might explain it. Could also have a waterlogged transom, or just perpetual water in the bilge.

For all I know my rubrail could leak like a sieve, but it's almost never under water, and never under water for long enough to be a problem.

I do get a little water in the bilge, but I think it's the seal around hydraulic lines for the outdrive trim rams. Everything else is either sealed up tight or above the water line (and sealed anyway).
Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

It's just a 496ho, here's a pic of it at the sandbar in LHC. It's not beached in this pic, it's anchored into a current in about 3ft of water.
Attached Thumbnails Test result Formula,Fountain,Donzi why?-jims-boat.jpg  
Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Registered

Talking Agree

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Here we go again , now we are off on the Fountains can't turn deal. My single step 35 turned just fine, and from what little time I've had in the '06 twin step I just bought this fall I've seen nothing that makes me believe it's anything different. As with any step bottomed boat you need to have a little understanding of how the bottom reacts to a turn at any given speed. Properly set up, trim and tabs, they turn fine. Wrong set up can make them react in wierd ways. This is not brand specific, it pretty much holds across the board. Set one of your ATs up in a brain dead manner, crank it into a hard irresponsible turn and see where you end up. It's pretty much fact that the majority of all boating incidents are related to operator error, alcohol, or a combination of the two. Neither of which are the responsibility, nor within the control of the manufacturer.

Anything that floats could sink. If a "few" Fountains have sunk over a given period, I'm sure that other brands have had some sink as well. In that there are so many more Fountains out there to begin with, odds would dictate that more might end up in the odd situation that the freak wave causes a problem. Would you not agree that more Chevrolets are involved in freak accidents in a year than Nissans??? How could that not be the case, just based on sheer numbers out there, and odds / percentages being what they are. This mean all the Chevrolets are ill handling, dangerous vehicles?
Yes, those are true statements, I argee for the most part. Except for the fact that Fountain boats seem to attract first-time performance boaters more than any other brand; because Fountain is so well known.
But I have a 28AT with a non-stepped hull and it is on rails. I have never experienced a quicker turning boat and it is a fairly well known fact. It is truly amazing; I have to prepare any passengers if we are making a sharp turn, amazing G-force. But, my boat is not that fast, 72mph; it's just a great riding, very large 28 with a usable cabin that gets remarkable mileage w/ 350mag/MPI's.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as water coming over the transom, it'll sink any boat. Back around 2000, A friend of mine was taking a customers 38 Cig out for a sea trial going out of Ft. Lauderdale Fla. While out in the ocean in big swells they lost an engine. Coming back to the inlet off the ocean, they were idleing on one engine. A big swell came from the ocean, and started to roll the boat, so he tried to turn it and when the second swell hit the transom, it rolled and sunk it. When the boat rolled with my friend and the owner in it, my friend was driving it. He was still in the bolster as it rolled over and when it went bottoms up, he said the he felt the sand from the bottom of the inlet scratching the top of his head.

So, I don't wanna hear about how only "Fountains" can sink.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by spilman
Yes, those are true statements, I argee for the most part. Except for the fact that Fountain boats seem to attract first-time performance boaters more than any other brand; because Fountain is so well known.
But I have a 28AT with a non-stepped hull and it is on rails. I have never experienced a quicker turning boat and it is a fairly well known fact. It is truly amazing; I have to prepare any passengers if we are making a sharp turn, amazing G-force. But, my boat is not that fast, 72mph; it's just a great riding, very large 28 with a usable cabin that gets remarkable mileage w/ 350mag/MPI's.

Nothing wrong with AT boats. I know several locally that run with us or are in our boat club. They all run well and handle most anything. I am guessing that Fountain probably builds 2 or 3 to one AT. The same with most other brands. All boats will sink if the situation is right. They also win almost every race that they are entered in. Straight line top speed world's record and offshore races. They have to turn in those offshore races, so I am guessing that step bottom boats work pretty well. I have had a learning curve with mine, but it turns just fine. It still seems to me that Fountain is the standard by which all other boat owners measure their boats by.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
That's some funny chit! I have had fast boats; I just prefer the quality and the outstanding attention to detail, not to mention the ride is like nothing else. I'm sure you enjoy running 90's in your fountain...just be safe, they don't turn so well. Activeshack on here had a 35 fountain and now he has a 37AT, ask him to compare; he is an honest guy who knows boats. He has captained 100 ton vessels and owned many performance boats. Not much beats Active Thunder,..that is just a fact, becoming more well known all the time. Their are just so many fountain guys because reggie mass-produced them throughout the 80's-90's and they are cheaper than most. More and more guys are buying AT's, even some No-Techers and Cig guys are discovering the "cult".
BTW, there have been quite a few 29twins and 32's that experienced waves over the back, do a search.

your statement would carry more merit if it where not so slanderous. as for the a.t , it is in fact an awesome boat. pat builds a hell of a piece. the 37 with 700's on the cover of last months poker runs america belongs to a friend of mine and i happened to be driving it for that run. again an awesome machine. and it is not the only a.t i have had the pleasure of runing.
as for your comment of doesnt turn so well, you must be kidding. every sactioning body at present is represented as world or national champ by what else but a fountain. i would disagree completely with your turning comment. this coming from turning every fountain model made , at speed , in some cases well over the 100 mark, well over. and guess what? i'm still here.
in my opinion it would be more adviseable to compliment your choice of boat and its ability rather than knock another to make your choice appear, seam , and attempt to surpass other's.
most mishaps at sea occur mostly in part of driver error.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
Nothing wrong with AT boats. I know several locally that run with us or are in our boat club. They all run well and handle most anything. I am guessing that Fountain probably builds 2 or 3 to one AT. The same with most other brands. All boats will sink if the situation is right. They also win almost every race that they are entered in. Straight line top speed world's record and offshore races. They have to turn in those offshore races, so I am guessing that step bottom boats work pretty well. I have had a learning curve with mine, but it turns just fine. It still seems to me that Fountain is the standard by which all other boat owners measure their boats by.

Well put Gerritm and Monstaaa !!! The results speak for ability of the Fountain design.

My seat time in this '06 35 Lightning twin step is real limited at this point, the weather late fall up here just didn't cooperate. I know that come spring I'll spend some time sorting out the new ride. It is a different handling boat than the single step version, but this being the 7th performance boat I've owned, I don't think this one is going to throw me some odd curve. Anyone in their right mind should take the time to get a good feel for a new boat and it's handling, it's only common sense.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by monstaaa
your statement would carry more merit if it where not so slanderous. as for the a.t , it is in fact an awesome boat. pat builds a hell of a piece. the 37 with 700's on the cover of last months poker runs america belongs to a friend of mine and i happened to be driving it for that run. again an awesome machine. and it is not the only a.t i have had the pleasure of runing.
as for your comment of doesnt turn so well, you must be kidding. every sactioning body at present is represented as world or national champ by what else but a fountain. i would disagree completely with your turning comment. this coming from turning every fountain model made , at speed , in some cases well over the 100 mark, well over. and guess what? i'm still here.
in my opinion it would be more adviseable to compliment your choice of boat and its ability rather than knock another to make your choice appear, seam , and attempt to surpass other's.
most mishaps at sea occur mostly in part of driver error.
Slander is one thing, critique another...basically just my opinion. I have also been in Georges 37/700 boat @ The Jammin run, beauitful boat. Bottom line, you enjoy your fountain, I prefer the Active Thunder; for signicantly different reasons. As long as we can state how we feel about certain models/brands and why, we can keep it interesting. Plus, I enjoy learning as much as possible, some of which is even true!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the title of this thread again??
Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99fever27
What was the title of this thread again??

Quick Reply: Test result Formula,Fountain,Donzi why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.