35 ex theoretically >

35 ex theoretically

Notices

35 ex theoretically

Old 10-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
If you were a person in a competing business, and Upstate Powerboats underbid you due to the fact that it was not legitimately registered and paying business expenses like licensing fees, insurance, and income taxes...I believe you would care.

If Phil has "gone legit," I am 100% in favor of him kicking ass and taking names.
Oh I get it now.

I own a legitimate, tax paying auto repair shop. I am surrounded by backyard mechanics who some would consider my competition. They clearly have much less overhead than I do, and can afford to do jobs for less than I. I could care less if they pay taxes or not, that is their problem not mine. I focus on my quality of work and reputation, and point out the benefits of my business, never the faults of my competition. For 3 years now I have enjoyed steady growth and am consistently busy.

In short, I mind my own business. You should too.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Oh I get it now.

I own a legitimate, tax paying auto repair shop. I am surrounded by backyard mechanics who some would consider my competition. They clearly have much less overhead than I do, and can afford to do jobs for less than I. I could care less if they pay taxes or not, that is their problem not mine. I focus on my quality of work and reputation, and point out the benefits of my business, never the faults of my competition. For 3 years now I have enjoyed steady growth and am consistently busy.

In short, I mind my own business. You should too.
Hey...thanks for the lecture...you sure did set ME straight and convince me that having a well-formed, reasoned opinion on something was COMPLETELY out of line. I apologize to the whole internet, but especially to you, my new friend.

Actually...consider your business load if those guys were not around...or were on equal footing? Wow...you could probably have more money for gas! Crazy...I know...but I'm always talking crazy stuff like that. You'll find that out now that we are good friends...
Old 10-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Hey...thanks for the lecture...you sure did set ME straight and convince me that having a well-formed, reasoned opinion on something was COMPLETELY out of line. I apologize to the whole internet, but especially to you, my new friend.

Actually...consider your business load if those guys were not around...or were on equal footing? Wow...you could probably have more money for gas! Crazy...I know...but I'm always talking crazy stuff like that. You'll find that out now that we are good friends...
I can disagree with you on this, and still consider you a friend. As a matter of fact, you have a pretty kick ass boat and we enjoy the same hobby, so we most certainly would get along just fine.

My philosophy is to focus on my business, analyze my competition, and see what I can do to set my business apart from theirs. It works for me, and probably works for you as well judging by that good looking red Active Thunder. I learned fairly early that wondering or hoping that things were fair in an unfair world was a waste of energy and an easy way to unnecessary frustrations. You are right, I probably could have more money for gas, or more money for 525's, or any other number of things, I just choose not to worry about what others do or say or try to change things that really aren't my responsibility to change, like whether or not my competition is paying the same fees and taxes as me.

I probably could have left the last sentence out of my last post, rereading it I do sound pretty condescending. For that I apologize.

We are still friends I hope.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Aww group hug
Old 10-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
I can disagree with you on this, and still consider you a friend. As a matter of fact, you have a pretty kick ass boat and we enjoy the same hobby, so we most certainly would get along just fine.

My philosophy is to focus on my business, analyze my competition, and see what I can do to set my business apart from theirs. It works for me, and probably works for you as well judging by that good looking red Active Thunder. I learned fairly early that wondering or hoping that things were fair in an unfair world was a waste of energy and an easy way to unnecessary frustrations. You are right, I probably could have more money for gas, or more money for 525's, or any other number of things, I just choose not to worry about what others do or say or try to change things that really aren't my responsibility to change, like whether or not my competition is paying the same fees and taxes as me.

I probably could have left the last sentence out of my last post, rereading it I do sound pretty condescending. For that I apologize.

We are still friends I hope.
Most assuredly. I wish you nothing but the best in your business AND boating endeavors...and I feel the same way about Phil. The sarcasm key frequently gets stuck in the ON position on this stupid keyboard. I admire your world view, and wish I felt the same way. I manufacture a product that is pretty niche, but I nonetheless have to be concerned about foreign competition...there are tariffs and laws in place (for now, anyway) that attempt to ensure a level playing field, which, I think, helps me out. I do realize "life is not fair" (Mom taught me that), but having been raised in an environment in which it was constantly imbued upon me to "always play fair," I cannot help but carry that sense into my adult life and have it weighing upon opinions that I might form.

These forums, like it or not, seem to be rife with opine...and though ours may differ in both content and perceived relevance...I think we are ending up on the same page as far as wanting to see a cool Fountain project happen...
Old 10-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I`m with you Matt, lots of side job joes and Craiglists HVAC guys around who probably charge half my prices. Their customers are not my customers.

I don`t like how you guys worked it out so fast however..
Old 10-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I`m with you Matt, lots of side job joes and Craiglists HVAC guys around who probably charge half my prices. Their customers are not my customers.

You SHOULD be on my side, dammit! I AM your customer! Lolololol.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

easier then we did LOL
Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Registered

Too few performance boaters out there to make enemies with one over dumb chit. If he had a sailboat I would argue with him forever.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:34 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Quickest f*kin popcorn I ever ate on this site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.