Like Tree0Likes

UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Old 10-14-2001, 01:36 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Chris, Sorry to have to read about all this. Stay after them. One thing for sure, gelcoat not sprayed into a mold is never the same as spraying it onto a surface and then having to sand it. If for some reason you keep the boat and it is trailered all the time (not left in the water days on end) I recommend painting it instead of gelcoat. The shine will last alot longer. Sanded gelcoat will only fade and dull at a faster pace then a gelcoat sprayed in a mold and never touched other than waxing it. Good Luck...
Old 10-14-2001, 01:45 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Forgot to mention Baja had the same problems awhile back. They were covering it under warranty as far as I know. Hydra Tech in Toms River, NJ was doing the warranty work. I don't recall the years involved but perhaps it was a bad batch or many bad batches of gelcoat from the gelcoat manufacturer. I don't know how far you would get with them, there are so many disclaimers on gelcoat that I think the only thing they cover is if the color was different from what was on the label. Good Luck again...
Old 10-14-2001, 01:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
Sharkey as a boat builder yourself maybe you can answer a question for me. I thought that Gel bubbles were caused from a week bond btwn the gel and the paint, and that this was normally caused from cheap or defective resin.
Old 10-14-2001, 04:02 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Formula 400 SS, Carrera 257
If you had purchased the boat in California or Arizona we would take the case. Boat is not fit for its itended purpose. Keep the pressure on. A good company cannot afford to have a boat like that being displayed to the net. Are you going to post a copy of the complaint (lawsuit) on your web page? I would like to find our more about your legal case. Send me a private e-mail.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Chris ,

Looks to me like you have a well thought out , clear cut case .

I'm shocked that Donzi isn't stepping up to do the right thing . They are a VERY expensive boat that I thought would stand behind any problem , contract / warranty or not .

With the obvious power of the Internet , I'm also surprised they would take the chance of all the negative publicity this is and will continue to get .

This would certainly make me think twice about buying one !

Good Luck !

- - Wes
Old 10-14-2001, 09:33 AM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

My Boats: 2003 Donzi 33ZX
I have followed your saga from the begining on other forums. I am a very happy Donzi ZX owner and consider my self educated and non bias on performance boats.

I just finished reading the survey, why didn't both surveyors sign it?

What was the original price on your boat?
At this point you might as well let us know so we can see what you would have really paid for a new 26, it will also show if the boat was sold at market value at the time or below.
Would Donzi have helped with the finance portion since resale would be impossible?

I can honestly say, in a situation like yours I would also use the net as a tool to get the word out and you have done that.

Off to read the Boaters ED forum to look at responses there.
Thanks and good luck.
Bryan

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Donzi 22ZX ]
Old 10-14-2001, 09:35 AM
Frank Civitano

Chris, Sorry There was a guy that came on The Donzi registry about the same time yours did almost the same problem and wanted to get his money back or a new boat, But he bought that boat that way? Did you contact Mike Collins? I know if I was a boat company I would not want that boat out there! Keep The Pressure On!

Old 10-14-2001, 10:40 AM
stingray

Chris, good luck with your case. Donzi folks if you're reading this, step up to the plate and take that boat back and have it shreaded. Give the man his money back and all things will be honorable. It's the only fair thing to do. Are there any Donzi company men on here who have an opposing opinion for discussion sake????

Rick
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html

Old 10-14-2001, 10:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
Perhaps another solution is for them to give you a raw hull and swap your motor and parts over to the new one. That way they are not eating too much. I agree that they should be liable for the hull. I mean that is not one or two blisters but thousands!!! However they should not at this time be required to give you a new motor, cleats, interior and all that. Now if the interior does not fit the new hull then that is thier problem also but if it does then they should swap that in as well. There is no reason that they can not put your current motor and drive package into the new hull. Good luck.

Jon
Old 10-14-2001, 11:04 AM
MikeStar

We've considered a couple of Donzi's over the years, and every time I look at an ad or see them at the boat shows, I think of Chris' saga. Then I turn around and keep walking.

Sure, it may be an isolated issue, but there's too many good builders who stand behind their product to take a chance. For the same or less money than a Donzi, you can buy an Active Thunder, Powerplay, Pantera, etc - or go with high quality factory boats like Formula, Sunsation or Powerquest, all with good reputations for standing behind their product.

No Donzi for me... And thanks to Chris for having the b*lls to stand up and tell folks about the problems he's been having.